Orchid Beach Airstrip, Fraser Island

Sean

Guest Maj Millard

Sky Gazer, Yes but I would hope that it is the 'ten year behind' lifestyle of the place that attracted you here in the first place, and is what keeps you here ?..........we have never seen a need to keep up with the Jonses here in Qld, more likley to just do our own thing at our own pace, thank you..................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Please fly-in and support this nice friendly airstrip, we need them, and need to support them if they accept us with open

arms........................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

..we have never seen a need to keep up with the Jonses here in Qld, more likley to just do our own thing at our own pace, thank you..................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi Maj,

With that attitude you would still be flying Biplanes. ;)

Keeping up if the jones is called the pace of life -overtaking the Jones is called progress. Now don't tell me you are against progress or I will have to think you a are a stodgy old XXXXs like the ones we have around here whining about the jet service from Sydney having ruined the character of the place,making so much noise and of course they are so low they are practically touching the tree tops in their back yards.

It sounds like you don't have to deal on a daily basis with financial institutes or busness in other states or you would find out how awkward that one hour delay is- often missing couriers and adding an extra day to freight services.thumb_down

Queensland the smart state - what a joke?

Peter

Queensland the smart state - what a joke?

Hey! Look on the bright side? at least where not "backward" with our car parking!!!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

:peepwall:

Hey! Look on the bright side? at least where not "backward" with our car parking!!!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif :peepwall:

That depends on whether you are coming or going :confused:

Actually that just goes to reinforce my comment:laugh: Why would you want to back out into oncoming traffic ;) particularly when you have Bloody tall 4WD or Van parked next to you obscuring your view totally.:ah_oh:

Peter

Why push the daylight saving barrow on this site. if you want more flying time after work, start earlier. That is what I did even though my boss said we had to keep in line with the Southern branches of the office. I noticed that the Qld branches didn't change over when the South did, still kept to 0830 start. Of course I had to be considered indispensable to pull that stunt. I think you will find we have had several referenda on the subject and it has always failed to sway the majority. When you consider that we don't get the twilight hours in Qld and quite a bit of the State is West of the 150deg meridian it is obvious why it is only the SE corner that wants daylight saving.

Guest Maj Millard

Sky gazer, I do actually own a Biplane which I throughly enjoy, and maybe if your not too happy here, it might be time to move South ?.......you will get more winning football up here however.....................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

That depends on whether you are coming or going :confused:Actually that just goes to reinforce my comment:laugh: Why would you want to back out into oncoming traffic ;) particularly when you have Bloody tall 4WD or Van parked next to you obscuring your view totally.:ah_oh:

Yeah I saw this coming...! Haha! not gonna win are we?!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• More 1

.... if you want more flying time after work, start earlier. ...... .

When you service the public it is a little difficult to just start earlier.

.... When you consider that we don't get the twilight hours in Qld and quite a bit of the State is West of the 150deg meridian it is obvious why it is only the SE corner that wants daylight saving .

Exactly The Majority of the state may be west of 150 BUT the majority of the population lives on the Eastern limit the coast and in particular the SE corner.

Incidently the last couple of surveys undertaken were OVER WHELMINGLY in favour of DLS - it is the ones done in FNQ that already have the later sunset that are against it.

Regards,

peter

things

Thing 1 - parking - panel beaters enjoy any method of parking - each and any method are beneficial to their business

Thing 2 - daylight saving - no comment

Thing 3 - 10 years behind ? - that's the way our society is - in 10 years time it will be where you want it to be - can't you wait till then ?. USA must look at Australia and giggle - its a position relative to everything else

Thing 4 - Smart State - I'd say rational Australians would not think their state is any smarter than the rest. The term 'smart state' is a pollie howling into the wind

Thing 5 - outsiders coming to Queensland ? - everyones welcome and no one should be told to go home - that's a tribal comment - thank god we still don't have wooden clubs with nails out the tip

Thing 5 - Orchid Beach - went there the other day. I agree - support them. Its difficult to get a surface condition from anyone - liability I guess - best way I found was to ask "Can you drive a car on it ?' - they said yes so I drew my own conclusion. The strip has an undulating soft sand surface

JM

Surveys may show that daylight saving is wanted, but the last 2 referenda have gone the other way. Surveys will always show what the questioners want to show, by phrasing their questions in such a way that the obvious answer is given, they also do not ask the whole population.

Personally I am sick of the daylight saving promoters continually calling for change when it is obvious from the referenda that the Qld population do not want it.

It wasn't so long ago that somebody said that we should have daylight saving, because he had gone to work an hour earlier than usual and there was less traffic on the road at that time.

Guest Walter Buschor

My curtains have an hour less to fade . That's why I don't want daylight safing.

Most of us know this. We also get less suncancers because we have an hour less sun. - obvious -:clown:

As for Orchid Beach it is a terrific place. Just been up there again a couple of weeks ago. Pls. go there and show you support the strip. :thumb_up:The council is keeping it open for us. We all know what happens if we don't use it .....thumb_down

safe flying

the grey Nomad

Hi Maj,I assume you were adressing me, I first moved to QLD from NSW in 1972 and have spent the last 11 Years in Hervey Bay So NO I am not just another southerner whining about the backward retarded nature of the state.;)

Why is it wrong in wanting to keep up with the rest of the country?i_dunno

The 10 years is the lifestyle - the 1 hour is just a nuisance and one hell of a waste of an extra hours flying after work.:thumb_up:

peter

Ah...So you are a South East Queenslander... Sky Gazer I have always been in favor of daylight saving...but you got to realize that I like it because during the trial they had some years back I could finish work at 5 pm and go model flying for 3 hours until it got too dark...That was in North West Qld...Like I say I like daylight saving but...I can understand why people out west don't...

• 6 years later...

Hi.

I started this thread some 8 years or so ago and I have still not flown to Orchid Beach, Fraser Island QLD yet.

But, I'm now thinking of doing so in the near future. Better late than never hey?!

So:

a. Has anyone used the Orchid Beach airstrip of late?

b. Who do I contact wrt:

1. RWY conditions/details.

2. Permissions

3. Landing fees

4. Other useful info?????

Cheers

Sean.

I flew in there 18 months ago, I would never go back.

Rwy was terrible. Big tufts of grass that bounced the plane around quite severely.

The wind sock was hanging straight down but there was a very strong cross wind. I actually wondered if kids had been throwing rocks into it.

Landing fee was $25.00

In my opinion I would have been better off landing on the beach.

• Like 1

Hi.I started this thread some 8 years or so ago and I have still not flown to Orchid Beach, Fraser Island QLD yet.

But, I'm now thinking of doing so in the near future. Better late than never hey?!

So:

b. Who do I contact wrt:

2. Permissions

3. Landing fees

Cheers

Sean.

A couple of months back I flew over to have a look at Orchid Beach. Did a run down the strip at 10ft just to have a good look. It was freshly mown and looked in good condition. I would happily land, in fact I will be heading over there for a flight and lunch on the beach once it warms up. Photo below.

image.jpeg.8167605c6b671a309600685575f5bf44.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi.I started this thread some 8 years or so ago and I have still not flown to Orchid Beach, Fraser Island QLD yet.

So:

b. Who do I contact wrt:

2. Permissions

3. Landing fees

Cheers

Sean.

Sean

Orchid beach is still ok, contact the Orchid beach trading post they will take you to where you want to camp (and tell you everything you need to know about the airstrip), check on you each morning and afternoon to see if you need anything and pick you up to return you to your aircraft. It is a great place to get away for the weekend.

If all you have landed on is bitumen then no doubt you may find it a little disconcerting but that is the way it is when you go to out of the way places.

I will be going back up there in October for a long weekend.

Aldo

Timely thread revival as I love Fraser and I was only thinking about this airstrip the other day. With my pending conversion to GA aircraft and starting my navs in the process of converting to an RPL, this is a strip that I would like to visit once I complete my conversion. For people that have landed there before, would aircraft like C172/tomahawk/generic GA aircraft get in and out with much problem, or is the strip a bit short/boggy with grass/sand etc? I'm going to check it out because Ill be up there in my 4wd in a few months anyway, but figured I would ask the question.

Timely thread revival as I love Fraser and I was only thinking about this airstrip the other day. With my pending conversion to GA aircraft and starting my navs in the process of converting to an RPL, this is a strip that I would like to visit once I complete my conversion. For people that have landed there before, would aircraft like C172/tomahawk/generic GA aircraft get in and out with much problem, or is the strip a bit short/boggy with grass/sand etc? I'm going to check it out because Ill be up there in my 4wd in a few months anyway, but figured I would ask the question.

Nathan

172/182/206/J230 no problem for any of these, just have to watch the breaking if it is dry, practice some short field approaches before you go and remember you don't have to land it first go plenty of time to get the approach right and be comfortable with the landing.

Aldo

Sure has changed over the years, back in the 70's the resort was on the beach side of the strip. Looks like the strip will be gone in the future if a good cyclone passes.

A couple of months back I flew over to have a look at Orchid Beach.

What a great looking strip and so close to me, hopefully one day down the track will be able to make my own way across.

Hey Aldo, sorry for the late reply, thanks for that info sounds good!

Spacesailor, I'll be there for a week at the end of August/start of September. I think we leave on the 28th or thereabouts. Heading up with a few mates for a fishing trip.

• 3 months later...
Hey Aldo, sorry for the late reply, thanks for that info sounds good!Spacesailor, I'll be there for a week at the end of August/start of September. I think we leave on the 28th or thereabouts. Heading up with a few mates for a fishing trip.

Haven't been there for awhile and is planning to go this weekend. What was the strip like?