Ops Manual update

Guest airsick

Thanks David,

As I said to Ian in a reply PM I have overcome this problem already but my point stands - some of us aren't all that technically minded and wouldn't be savvy enough to do it. Furthermore there are 10,000 or so members out there - should we all be expected to do what I did to overcome the short sightedness of the RAA?

I just find it silly to limit the promulgation of ideas and discussion about something that is extremely relevant to us all - how to properly do what we love doing, flying.

Why the problem. I have read it and understand it. I don't need to copy it to anyone, I just refer others to the relevant area.

I very much doubt that many people had full time access to the old printed manual, so what is the problem

Got mine today and had a quick look at the Ops manual. I hope I am mistaken but I may be illegal flying as I don't have either HP or LP on my certificate. No doubt further reading will disclose all.

If you find where to look please tell me and we'll both know!!! Geoff

Guest airsick
I very much doubt that many people had full time access to the old printed manual, so what is the problem

Precisely my point. You don't have access to it so it would be nice to quote it. And even if you did have access to it at least you could leaf through it quite easily rather than mucking about with a multitude of files.

Hi All,We, the board and office staff copped a lot of flack by a very small minority of members by going electronic here, but we have saved your organization tens of thousands of dollars that can be better spent elsewhere

John,

Perhaps a matrix of possible ways of where the Board may spend the tens of thousands of saved dollars would be good to know as a member

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ozzie

Hi all

anyone still waiting for their mag and copy of the cd. I was expecting mine to be in the po box when i returned from airventure but it has not arrived. thought i'd ask before pestering the office.

ozzie

I finally managed to get hold of my plastic wrapped, magazine protected CD from the RAAus this week - I must be the last bloke on the mailing list but at least I got it! With some trepidation,I straightened it out over my knee, put it in the drive and waited with baited breath to see what devastation had been inflicted upon me.

I have read it a couple of times now but I cannot believe that so little has changed but the RAAus has just about told the entire world that it is a completely new document. I was told that temporary satellite facililities and mobile flying schools were dead in the water but not a flaming thing has changed to the way that the mobile school legally operated and the terms that I bought the school under!

Those in power do not seem to understand the rules that have applied since the ops manual was written, let alone re-written.

I was sent a rather disparaging and slightly spiteful letter that belittled my understanding of the previous Ops manual and then told me that mobile flying schools were written out of the new Ops manual. My reference to temporary FTF's went completely over everyone's head, but here it is in black and white, mobile schools are still allowed under the new rules as they are the bloody same as the old rules!! I am gob-smacked to say the least!!

I am unsure of the reason for a "two stroke" endorsement as the bulk of training engines would be two stroke, but there is no apparent syllabus for the training. What if someone fly's a diesel or a rotary or a jet? I would have thought that engine management was part of any reasonable flying program and the most important thing was what to do if damn things stops - my view entirely of course.

The next new rule that had me in stitches for some time was the reference to Senior Instructors not being responsible for "the oversight of junior instructors operating under a CFI"; I wonder which genius thought that up! All the senior instructors could now legally be walking around with their hands in their pockets saying "it was the juniors oversight so not my responsibility!" I know what the intent was but the legal ramifications are such that employing junior instructors may become impossible, or at least, difficult.

Anyway, I am now confident that a mobile school may once again raise its much needed head in some distant region that the current organisation prefers to ignore.

Bill.. Yes, its a strange one alright.. Apart from the extra endorsements and a few bits and peices it seems to me to be basically the same document. But i aint a lawyer so perhaps there's some words or commas there that change the meaning entirely.

Do you feal special mate? they attempted to write you and you alone out of the manual.

Anyway, good luck mate. I hope you get the school going.

Cheers

i actually found time to flick to the first few pages of that mag and realizied that it is not the JULY issue that contained the CD. somehow i've missed that issue and have the August one already. Got a feeling that the July one was sent back after it sat in the box at the PO when i was away. They only allow the mail to sit in a private box for 7 days as they consider any longer a security issue:censored: Looks like i will have to be a pest and ask to have it resent back to me. wanted to avoid that as they are busy with other more important stuff.

Ozzie

• 4 weeks later...

Printed Version

For those interested in the printed version of the Operations and Technical Manual, I went to the trouble of getting it via the RAA shop. I just wanted something in my hand that I can readily flip through, not opening & closing files on a computer that I can't carry with me everywhere.

To my surprise, when it arrived, I find that I have been charged $26.00. This is despite it being listed at $16.50 including postage on their web site.:confused:

The first enquiry about this discrepancy a couple of weeks ago has gone unanswered so I have been in touch with them again today & am waiting their response.i_dunno

Bugger, I think I can remember getting my magazine with the CD on it the other day, but I have already lost it. Does that mean I don't have to comply with it because I don't have it? 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

How much do replacement CD's cost (assuming that nothing is free any more), or if I find it, can I trade it for a hard copy of the manual, which is what I got for my (less expensive) membership money previously? I still have my hard copy of the previous manuals.

RAA Reply

Had a call from RAAus yesterday about my pricing query advising the price of the Ops & Tech manuals is $16.00 plus $10.00 express postage.:confused:

The web site has yet to be updated by their webmaster but will be done soon.

Guest basscheffers

Just download the individual PDFs from http://www.raa.asn.au/opsmanual/index.html

Then use the free PDFill tools to merge them into one large non-password protected file for your viewing, searching and cut-and-pasting pleasure - the way it should have been distributed in the first place.

Before anyone complains: as long as you do this yourself, for yourself and don't distribute the resulting file it falls squarely under fair use in copyright law.

I think this excuse is poor. CASA let their stuff be copied. You can get various other bits of legislation and so forth that is able to be copied. Why is RAA any different? I just can't understand why they would make it hard to be copied and discussed in places like this. Surely the benefits of that would outweigh the small likelihood that butchered version would get distributed. Besides, if everyone has a copy why would you need to get a copy from someone that could be modified? And even if you do need to you can always get a copy from the website.

At the very least they should have made a single PDF containing the entire document. It is ridiculous to have so many files to sort through.

I have done what bass suggested and agree with him, I too think there is no issue. But even if there was I would love for the RAA to come after me for copyright issues when all I am trying to do is gain a better understanding of my obligations (not that I could see them doing this anyway, I think they have bigger fish to fry).