Marty_d

Marty d's CH-701 build log

9 hours ago, eightyknots said:

I hope you will share why you have departed from the standard CH701 and chosen to go with:

1. Savannah main gear?

2. Savannah nose wheel?

3. Savannah slats?

4. Savannah fuel system?

5. Savannah control mixer?

6. Savannah flap handle? *

7. Savannah Y-stick?

8. Savannah rudder pedals? 

9. CH750-style trailing edge?

10. CH750-style inset trim tab?

I am really intrigued!!

* I will be fitting a Mark-Kyle manufactured flap handle to my Savannah. This has a better (and safer) operating angle of the flap lever as well as an additional notch.

Mainly, because I'm a lazy cheap-ar*se.

The opportunity came up (in this site) to buy a Savannah undercarriage from a totalled aircraft.  Luckily another Tasmanian was buying the motor from the same aircraft, so he was able to bring back my bits too.  Unknown to me, the seller threw in the pedals (with brake cylinders), control mixer, Y-stick, flap handle, and doors with the undercarriage.  Pleasant surprise!  (Unfortunately, doors don't fit - slightly too big.  Will use what I can from them.)

The slats were laziness - it looked like a particularly difficult bit to scratch-build and I met a bloke in Bendigo with a set to sell.  They came back to Tassie bolted to my roof racks.

The tanks - 701 tanks are welded from 0.025" aluminium.  I don't know anyone who can weld that thin, and if I did, it'd probably cost a fortune.  Getting them from the US would be over $1k.  A bloke in Canberra was advertising a kit with long range tanks, I asked him if he'd sell the extra tanks separately, and luckily he agreed.  They're identical in size & shape to the 701 ones.  I prefer the Sav setup with the 7 litre header tank, so I'll be buying one of them too.

The 701 elevator trailing edge is like the wing TE - upper and lower surfaces meet at TE and are solid riveted.  The trim tab is a flat plate hinged at the TE.  I thought it was messy, especially when you look at the nice neat folded TE on the rudder.  So I looked at the 750 TE and copied it, along with the inset trim tab.

So there you go!

Edited by Marty_d

It all makes perfect sense.

Well done on picking up cheap parts.

Had a chance to do a bit on the plane this weekend, so got stuck into mounting the rudder pedals and bolted the horizontal tail on for the first time.

HT on 1.JPG

Rudder pedals in 1.JPG

HT on 2.JPG

HT on 3.JPG

• Like 1

Further work on the "south end"... mounted the rudder, fabricated and clecoed the fixed fin.  Won't rivet that until the elevator cables are run but will fully prep it.

Fin on 5.JPG

Fin on 6.JPG

Fin on 1.JPG

Fin on 2.JPG

Fin on 3.JPG

Fin on 4.JPG

• Like 2

Great work Marty. With this kind if progress, you could be airborne at the end of summer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eightyknots said:

Great work Marty. With this kind if progress, you could be airborne at the end of summer.

That's a nice thought but there's a lot more to do...  it'll be finished by the end of one summer, just not this one.