Welcome...

Matt

Welcome to the user's group for the Evektor Sportstar. Although there are only a few of us, this forum will hopefully provide a place for us to discuss all things Sportstar.

Cheers,

Matt.

Guest Guest

this is for anyone who owns a sport star, is it as good as the statisics show, and how can a light aeroplane have the needed strengh for 100kn+ crusing. i am looking for a new plane, and are considering the sport stat, any advice would be great.

Hello,

Friend of mine just bought a sports star and I got a free fly of it. Nice aircraft with very few faults. The nose wheel gets really twitchy at high speeds which may become a problem for the less experianced and the buble canopy which would get really hot in summer and may be a problem in strong winds when its left up. I've also had a fly in the Tecnam P92's which I think are a better aircraft faster but a little less roomie, although the price tag is also a little higher. I've been told the low wing tecnam is almost the same as the star but I've never flown one.

Adam.

Hi guys, just got back on the forum. I'll add some responses to the questions asked / comments made:

Headroom - heaps! I'm 194cm with a tall torso and have around 10cm between headset and canopy, leg room is not an issue either. We've done pleny of 2.5+ hour stints and always get out without any back or comfort issues...stops usually required for bladder. I tried the Tecnams (low and high wing) and found them to be far too restrictive for a 'larger than normal' frame, the Sportstar would be one of the roomiest ultralightson the market.

Canopy - fantastic for 360 degree visibility, can get a little warm in summer with it closed and no airflow but with engine running and vents open it's comfortable - never going to compete with aircon. Regarding wind effect on canopy, we've not had any problems so far, the gas struts are effective at holding it in place in strong winds.

Flying - not sure about the nose wheel issues at high speed, you're off the ground at 55kts and same for landing, we've not experienced any issues. I'm very happy with the handling at both low and high speeds, we're averaging 105kt cruise at 16LPH from 1500' up to 9500' - required for some long trips over Bass Strait and mountains around Canberra where we are based.

The most important thing before you buy an Aircraft is good research. Natfly is always great for that.I like the Sportstar but i love the Texan TC. and it's a little faster.

Hmm, you've just added to my dilemma, Ed.

I flew the SportStar with Peter at NatFly, and loved it. I didn't get to fly the Texan, but I like the look of it, and the NSW distributor - Ian Loveridge - is an old mate of mine and I respect his opinion (which is VERY GOOD!)

Eeeny, meeny, miney...

First I have to find a buyer for my Drifter. Nothing at all wrong with her, but I've just outgrown (out-aged) open air flying. For "bugs in the hair" flying, first you need hair!

cheers

greggf

If you haven't noticedthe For Sale section...Sportstar 3978 is for sale. Why selling? Similar to Gregg, nothing wrong with her but I'm probably going 'the other way' in aviation and progressing my GA experience...and I'm buying a CT4 to do it in (bit of my RAAF heritage coming out with this buy) and the finance minister reckons we can't keep both.

I'm keen to get opinion on what a reasonable price might be, we've got $120,000 on her based on advice from Peter Harlow regarding the few 2nd hand Sportstars that have been sold. Details etc. are at http://users.bigpond.net.au/sportstar Comments welcome.

Matt,

As soon as I sell my Drifter, I shall be having a serious exchange with you. I suspect that $120k is maybe a little steep, based on the price of a brand new aircraft, but that's your place to ask.

Anyway, first I'll sell the Drifter, then I'll call you.

I only left Canberra last September to live here in Port Macquarie, so it wouldn't be too painful to drop down for a squizz.

cheers

Gregg

Gregg,

Good luck with the sale and look forward to the call Understand that the advertised price may appear a little steep but as with all things for sale, it's negotiable and I'm open to reasonable offers.

Cheers,

Matt.

• 2 months later...
Guest Vigilant

Hello all,

First time on the forum and only new to the flying game. My first flying experience has been at Suncoast Cooloola flying school, Gympie in Queensland. Unfortunately it was whilst on long service leave from the Tassie Police and visiting my parents.

Now back in Tas and have had to leave behind an instructor and aircraft that were both great. Much thanks to Jennifer Beck the CFI up there and Sportstar 24-4499 in which I logged six hours. I hope to be back in the air soon flying a Jabiru at Freedom Flight on the North West Coast.

Guest Jetgirl

Hi, we flew a sportstar a few weeks ago with the view of getting one for our school. Beautiful aircraft. Our CFI came back saying "that plane is something special".

They are so well equipped and comfortable. Very spacious as well.

Jetgirl

Guest Vigilant

Go for it Christine, bookings for the Sportstar at Suncoast Cooloola are flat out. When I left their's had clocked up over 300 hours in super quick time. People are coming from everywhere to fly it and I was lucky to just stumble across it. I might even come to Ballarat to fly yours!!

Oh and as an aside welcome to the forums and good luck with your PPL. I had a look at your web site, what a job and lifestyle - half your luck!

Guest Jetgirl

Thanks Vigilant- I am pretty lucky indeed. You are most welcome to come up and fly ours when it comes!

We often bring the Yaks down to Launceston as well. Next time we come I'll drop you a line.

Christine

• 2 months later...

Hello Guys & Girls

Just thought I would chip in as a fellow Sportstar operator. I have the privilage of mainly maintaining & sometimes flying the Sportstar that my wife owns. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

We have had the Sportstar for nearly 2 years now & have logged nearly 150 hours.

Our longest trip so far was 5.1 hours of air time each way. On a long haul like this you really get to appreciate the comfort level of the Sportstar. I am 190cm tall with a long torso & weighover 100kgs 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif . There areother aircraft out there that may be a little faster, but I would rather be comfortable for 5 hours than cramped up for 4!!!

Last Xmas I took a matefor a fly, he is taller than me & weighs nearly 130kg!!!! We were still comfortable, but I know alot ofother planes out there we would have had trouble even fitting :) . OK, so we had no weight left to take baggage, &were not able to take on more than 1/2 a tank of fuel, but we still had a great time on a local flight & lots of circuits.

So there you have it, words from another very happy Sportstar operator. I look forward to chatting to more owners on this forum.

Cheers

Mick

Guest Vigilant

Hi Mick

I hope to be back behind the controls of a Sportstar again in early January when i head back up to Queensland for a couple of weeks. They certainly are what I compare all the other aircraft to.

Cheers Stuart

• 4 weeks later...
Guest waynos

Hi there,

My name is Wayne and i have approx 80 hrs on the sportstar!

Here at Adelaide Biplanes www.adelaidebiplanes.com.au we have 3 sportstars 4399,4501 and 4525. I believe we have the largest flying hours of sportstars in Australia.

Im a little unsure why our flying school is not on this website as of yet, perhaps some one could contact me to organise something.

wayne on [email protected]

Also apart from the 3 sportstar, we have 2 sports Cubs in the process of delivery from the United States, for those who dont know the cubs are tail wheeled aircraft for those pilots who want the extra challenge.

I am current flying a Supercub, Cessna 172, Super Decathlon and am very excited about these Sports Cubs see www.cubcrafters.com

For all the updates on our sportstars and myself see Gaylenes News & Events at www.adelaidebiplanes.com.au

Wayne - we are unable to just insert flying clubs/schools in the Clubs/Schools pages without a direct request from the Club/School and please note that it is focused on Recreational Flying and not GA although if you offer both then that can be added after the RAA details.

To have your details added you need to send me an email using the link on the Clubs/Schools pages (as it says there) with the details for each of the headings on the pages.

Also please note and this goes for ALL users of these forums that Commercial Advertising is strictly forbidden and is contained as one of the rules when registering here at the forums.

Note to anyone that sells anything for a commercial return

This site was set-up as a completely free resource so no one specific person or company are to benefit from it so the members can be assured of a non-pressured and unbiased on-line experience

Guest waynos

No worries Ian .

My intentions were not for Commercial advertising but for those who live in South Australia and were interested in flying the sportstar its an option for these people.

Im sorry if this is the impression you got as i thought the way my post was worded was purely interest and passion.

We are a regestered recreational & GA school.

I will send you an e-mail today and look foward to you reply

~wayno~

• 3 months later...