RFDS (NSW Air Ambulance)

Guest Howard Hughes

Guest Howard Hughes

Just so I can be the first to post in a new forum, I thought I might let you all know that I will be flying out of YSSY at 1300 tomorrow (Monday 1st) in the Kingair!:thumb_up:

It would nice if we could say have a quiet day mate :big_grin:

I am sure we ALL here admire the work that the RFDS does - what is it like on say a normal day and a not so normal day?

Guest Howard Hughes

Hi Ian,

It is pretty hard to describe a 'normal' day, as every day is unique, even the routine ones.

A general day will have four to five sectors, anywhere in NSW, quite often up to Brisbane, down to Melbourne, occasionally out to Lord Howe Island and the odd trip to Adelaide. We would generally fly around 4 to 5 hours in a shift and enroute flight plan changes are the norm. For routine flights we receive one hours notice, high priority flights we are required to be airborne within 30 mins.

I will check back in tomorrow night and let you know what the day involved.

Cheers, HH.:thumb_up:

Only 2 hrs in the logbook :big_grin: I suppose that means that the RFDS wasn't needed as much for the day which is a good thing, isn't it.

If you add 2hrs in your log book for the day what other things would an RFDS pilot be doing throughout the day?

Gotta love the Kingair... which model?

Had a couple of mates that used to fly out of YBAS in the Kingair 200 as well as the PC12. They reckoned the Kingy was nicer to hand fly than the PC12.....

My Dad was good friends with the Pilot who unfortunately went in at Mt Gambier a few years ago...051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif