Tri gear vs taildragger

Guest Mick T

Hi all,

How robust is the nose wheel on a Gazelle?

Will I have problems with it on a rough dirt strip?

Am I better to fly a Skyfox or will the tail wheel give me grief.

I have a few hours in a Drifter but remember the tail wheel being a tiny little thing which would occasionally break and we would drag our tail like a tiger moth which was at worst annoying.

Which wheel?

I like tailwheel aircraft, but the Skyfox is not easy to master. The Gazelle is a very similar plane with a relatively good & strong undercarriage, fitted with nosewheel which is steerable and has toe brakes as well. It will handle rough ground better than most, provided good handling techniques are used. keep an eye on the wheel spats ( or remove them) as they will deteriorate on rough ground. Nev..

Yea, i reckon the u/c on the gazelle is tougher then the skyfox. The Gazelle will handle quite a rough strip as nev said, but the problems u'd encounter with the taildragger would outway its advantages i think. They are a difficult thing to get right in anything other then perfect wx. Thats being said they are a lovely acft and either way you'll have tonns of fun.. But for mine the gazelle is the way to go. Much less likely to bounce too..:thumb_up:

The xwind factor alone should give you an indication. The Gazelle xwind limitation is 20 kts, the skyfox is 12 kts (from memory, havn't flown one in a while)..

If your contimplating flying one from a bush strip the gazelle would get ya up and back more often then the skyfox.(strictly from a xwind point of view, the taildragger can land slower and that could come in very handy if the fan stops)

cheers

HORSES FOR COURSES

IF THE TD IS KNOW AS THE CONVENTIONAL UNDERCARRIAGE THEN WHAT IS THE ONE WITH THE LITTLE LEG AND WHEEL UP FRONT?

A TRAINING WHEEL OF COURSE.

MOST OF YOU WILL REMEMBER THOSE LITTLE TRAINING WHEELS WE HAD ON OUR FIRST PUSH BIKE, WELL THAT IS THE SAME PRICIPLE FOR THE "UNCONVENTIONAL UNDERCARRIAGE".

ALL JOKES ASIDE, I THINK THAT WHAT DETERMINES WHAT LANDING GEAR CONFIGURATION ONE HAS IS THE AREA IN WHICH ONE FLYS.

I MAINTAIN THAT IF YOU ARE UNDERTAKING A LOT OF BUSH FLYING THEN THE CONVENTIONAL GEAR CONFIGURATION IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO.

FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I SAY THIS.

I DON'T THINK THAT I WOULD BE ALIVE TODAY BUT FOR THE GOOD OLD TD.

WE LOST ENGINE POWER AT ABOUT 1000' IN A WIRE BRACED DRIFTER WITH ONLY NIPPER HUTS AND RICE PADDY'S BENEATH US.

IF I HAD BEEN IN AN AIRCRAFT WITH A NOSE WHEEL THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO WAY I COULD HAVE GOT IT IN WITHOUT COMING TO GRIEF.

YOU ONLY HAVE ABOUT 30 METRES WALL TO WALL ON A RICE PADDY.

ANY OBSTACLE HANGGING OFF THE FRONT OF THE AIRCRAFT WOULD HAVE BURIED US.

WE WALKED AWAY WITH THE AIRCRAFT ONLY SUFFERING SOME MINOR ABRASIONS.

RICK-P 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Hi MMerv,

It had the caps lock on and I was just to lazy to change it.

14 kts on an average day but on a good day now thats another story, not more than 25 kts and you will just scrape it in.

Though, watch your wing tip as it is only a few inches off the ground.

Got caught at Gladstone a few years ago with no where else to go so I know for a fact that it can do it with the sock straight out.

A little frightening but when there is no backdoor the job has to get done head on.

We thought about landing accross the runway but decided that the powers to be may not have liked that.

Regards,

Rick

Guest High Plains Drifter
We thought about landing accross the runway but decided that the powers to be may not have liked that.

rick-p, I say this with respect - I'm a little mystified why you didnt land 'across' the runway if it was the safer thing to do ?

Lol..good onya.. I was mainly asking about the qouted max xwind from the manuel.. a mutual friend of ours proved on many occasions that a flat windsock at 90 deg was doable. But, not many ive seen could fly like him.

cheers

Oh by the way I'm selling the old girl, a sad day but she has to go as I really have no room now.

Greg was with me when I first picked her up and flew home from Mackay.

We flew up together in his ill fated Fox.

On the way up we decided to land on one of the beaches and as we were about to touch down we saw what we first thought was a log roll into our path.

We aborted and went around for a look.

It was no log but a quite large salt water croc.

Discretion being the order of the day we then kept going to Koumala (if thats how you spell it).

Jones'y put us up for the night and we did the test flying the next day.

The next day the strip was pretty damp but with a lot of Kitfox King antics and big tyres we made short work of the takeoffs and landings.

We did a few circuits in her and then Greg flew on my wing all the way to Rocky where he left to fly home to Bluff and me to Biloela.

There was a fair x-wind at home so I landed at Thangool and pressed Peter Loveday into flying the new toy home for me.

Peter is an experienced Skyfox person.

No drama, a couple of orientation circuits and we headed home for a perfect landing.

Fly safe friend.

Rick

Remember mate it was that mutual friend of ours that taught me to fly and even up to now I think that he is with me from time to time especially when the going has got tough.

HPD it was a thought only at the time and I think in all the circumstances landing as we did was in fact the safest option.

I most certainly did not want to be the first to park a Skyfox in the terminal or worst still hit an RPT.

Regards,

Rick-p

Haha.. good story rick.. Unlike greg to back out just because of a crocodile though. ;).He was a legend (rip).

I may be up that way after xmass.. thinking of taking the seneca for a blast up and down the coast( of australia. lol)

cheers mate:thumb_up: