Garmin GPS mounting

Guest sjarrell

Guest sjarrell

I have a J230 on the way with a GRT glass cockpit (USA). I would like to mount a Garmin 495 or 496 GPS for redundancy. Have any of you done so yet, and if so at what location? Any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve

Guest Graham Lea

I have my 296 on the dashboard in front of me. Easy to see in all conditions. If you are short it could be a probelm though. Wait until you get the a/c.

Guest sjarrell
I have my 296 on the dashboard in front of me. Easy to see in all conditions. If you are short it could be a probelm though. Wait until you get the a/c.

Were you able to use the Garmin standard dash mount bracket? I was told that there's not enough room between the windshield and dash to mount it.

Thanks!

Guest Graham Lea

Yes, I did , it was not a problem. Being there, you can see it in all conditions and more importantly, get a steady hand on it to change whatever you want..

Guest sjarrell
If you have room on the right side of the panel, the Aigizmos Panel Mount plus the Aigizmos Horizontal Tilt Adaptor work just fine.Aircraft Spruce Part No's. 11-03509 and 11-04671.

What ever you decide Garmins are hard to read if you can't look straight at them. (eg no angle offset)

I'm hoping there's room between the top of the dash and the windshield to mount it in the center and angle it towards me. If no one has one mounted like that yet I guess I'll find out in another week or so when I pick it up.

Thanks to all!

Steve

Jabiru have a small panel and a large panel option on the `J` planes. You can sit a 495 on top of the small panel but I dont think you could on the large panel because the large panel is very close to the windsheild.

I'm hoping there's room between the top of the dash and the windshield to mount it in the center and angle it towards me.

Maybe not a good spot. I stuck a 296 on top of the dash (bluetak) to use the little aerial on a trip. The unit shut down apparently due heat from the sun, worked OK again next day and since. I would assume 2-496 probably use a similar setup in the watchdog part of the circuit.

296 dash mount

While waiting to get new panel setup. I simply used some "heavy duty" velcro stuck to the bottom of the 296, then it sits nicely to the top edge of the dash - velcro is different to normal - fairly tough on carpet trim when you remove it often

Used little antenae - no problem

Seriously could be a permanent install if the panel was full.

JR