Wotta from central qld

Guest watto

Good morning everybody, I am new to this site and also new to recreational flying! am in the process of gaining solo cert and am awaiting delivery of a new Jabiru J230D.

I have been told this aircraft is to powerful for me to proceed in my further lessons but from what vI have read it is in fact a better aircraft for this purpose due to its stability and ease of handling so I am thinking that I am being milked for extra air hire time for the training schools J170, I am not sure about this, can anybody tell me why there is any real practical reason why I should not proceed to learn in the aircraft I will be flying?

My wife and I live near Miriam Vale in CQ and have a little bit of acreage and although the location is not perfect we are leveling an area of pasture as a landing strip, this strip will be restricted by weather! mainly wind and in such event we can divert to either Agnes Water, Gladstone or Bundaberg so we have plenty of alternatives.

If anyone else hear is from this area we would be pleased to catch up!110_closed.gif.a392821970f4971bbab8b2a27aea78f5.gif

Welcome Watto

what a beautiful craft you have settled on. And you live in Paradise!

Keep learning in the Jab 170 as the layout is the same. The 230 will climb faster and cruise better wont float as much on landing. Anyone that tells you the 230 is too powerful is just plain jealous!

Anyway you might as well keep stressing the schools undercarriage in bouncy landings until you perfect them for your own baby!

watto from CQ

Thanks mate, it is just the thought of having my baby sitting idle whilst I pay for another aircraft that get me going but I will do what it takes to get solo and cross country cert and then I am freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

G'day watto.

Go for flying in the aircraft you will be flying in the future.

Another destination for you is my home field. Rodds Bay. 15nm from Gladstone, about 200m West of the highway and stretching NW from Rodds Bay road. Drop in on a Sunday, we usually have a sausage sizzle at lunch time. 9 aircraft on site, one of which I think is a Jab J230. I may be wrong but it is RAAus registered and has the wide wings, same as the 4 seat GA planes.

Where will you be training?

Watto

Thanks for your feed back Yenn, I am training out at a new flight school at Agnes Water currently in the schools J170.

I did not realise there was a strip at Rodds Bay!! is this on your property? is there a RAA trainer there? either way I will certainly make it a Saturday morning stop when I get solo for sure!!

As I said I am in the process of putting in a field at home! it is not the ideal spot but it is coming up better than I thought now the clearing has been done, it needs a lot of stick and rock picking now and I will get a grader down for final trim! and then reseed of the surface.

What do you fly? may I ask, there are so many species of aircraft out there when you start looking but the fact that Jabiru are so close and the aircraft is Aussie built and I can get parts over the counter same day etc was the real seller! not to mention the quality of the product and the personal service that Rod Stiff at Jab provides is second to none.

Regards Watto

I am not sure about this, can anybody tell me why there is any real practical reason why I should not proceed to learn in the aircraft I will be flying?098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Watto,

Liability and insurance are possibly the two most important,practical reasons,to consider.

Things can and do go wrong in training and you need to consider the consequences,

in the event of an accident, where there could be aircraft damage and injury or death.

I`ve understood that you still need air time with your instructor.

I doubt very much that the schools insurance,(if the school has insurance),would cover operations in your aircraft,no insurance cover could result in a very costly exercise,even if it were only damage to your aircraft.

You could use your aircraft once you go solo, however, you need to operate under the supervision of your instructor and the flying school,this then opens up the area of liability and duty of care.

Regards,

Frank.

Yes all considered and my policy does cover pilot (student) and instructor as you say you must consider all the possabilities and the consaquences of them in obtaining cover.

Yeh, Adam thats what I think as well but am at the mercy of the instructors advice to which I must adhere to at this point so I will do what ever is required but would prefer my own baby to be used.

Regards Watto:helmet:

I think I found your airstrip this morning, as you described it, tucked right up against Mt Collosseum. You will be going well to get a Jab 230 in there from what I could see. It would be very interesting in a northerly wind with plenty of turbulence over the top of the mountain.

Hope the new plane was ready for you yesterday.

Yes you did, I heard you this morning buzzing overhead, the Jab was ready and even in the very blowy conditions she pulled up out of there like a demon and easily climbed out at 800ft per min, back to Agnes before the wife got out of the carpark.

The landing at Agnes was ok as well but when I got home here the was not a breath of wind.

The strip is far from finished I have a grader coming on Tuesday and he will pull material down the hill and in from the sides to try to get a little more length and take a bit of the lateral slope out of it, we will see how it goes! I know it it not ideal spot but you have to work with what you have and if it does not work out the I will have to look at the alternetives such as your suggestion at Rodds Bay.

Regards

Watto

I will try to get down tomorrow morning and meet you all but just depends on the boss's schedule