BFR in a Gazelle. Where's my Cheetah?????

Guest Cloudsuck

BFR in a 172.... Where is my Teccie? I did my BFR in a 172 today. I flew like a nancy! My forced landing was very good though ;)

The plane flew like a brick with wings. I can't believe some 'GA only' pilots think that these are some kind of superior aircrft. My Teccie will out fly, out cruise, out climb, out handle a 172 anyday.

Hi Skydog,4.5hrs is quick for first solo(I thought you needed 5hrs before solo)well done! I started in an old Jab and it took me 5.2hrs to first solo.You seem to have gained your PPL in a hurry at 5hrs too.It took me just over 20hrs inc flight test but some was "ferry" time to YSBK(dual)and YSCB(1dual,1solo),if I had trained in Sydney some of the ferry would be cut but they charge more per hr!

Hi Cloudsuck,I love each and every aircraft and would not rubbish any of them!I have flown Archer,C152,Foxbat,Jabiru and Thruster mainly and have time in a C172 and "Teccie".All these planes have their pros and cons,but I have had a great time in all of them.To an outside GA only pilot looking at your post it would look like you think you have a superior aircraft.You say the C172 flies like a brick with wings,well try putting 4pob your "teccie" and see how a brick with no wings flies!All I am trying to say is "Horses for Courses",they all have their place.I bet you had a better time flying the C172 than going to work.

Guest Cloudsuck

G'day Skyhog,

Yes you are right, flying is flying and it is always better than work.

4 POB in the Teccie, no thanks, than again I didn't have 4 POB in the 172 today either. And your right, I do think the Tecnam Sierra is superior to the 172 in handling and a smidge in performance (which is actual fact, the numbers don't lie), but opinions are like bum holes, we all have them.

The best thing about doing my BFR today, the insutructor was great, I learned a few things and I brushed up on a few other things I was rusty at. In two years time, I will most likely go back to the same company and fly a similar aircraft.

Cloudsuck,onya mate...Good reply.The Technam is an awesome aircraft and I would gladly swap my Thruster for one,however,there are a few other bills to pay first.Cheers.

GDay Pioneer

I am talking the original jabs used for training prior to J160`S etc. Small empannage, short fuse, slick, with the 2200 engine. They would be 4 years and older.

I believe the J120 with the bigger tail is much better to control on final and land.

HELLO Skyhog (great name)

I had some prior hours in C150 many many years ago which counted to my RA license. Point I was making it took me 4.5 hrs to solo the Gazelle, it takes the avge Joe 13>15hrs in a Jab from zero hours. Cheaper to learn in the Gazelle then switch to GA.

For sure Skydog,at YFBS there had been no GA training for a long time but AUF/RAAus was available.We had a bit of a stockpile of potential "would be if they could be GA pilots".I have recently gained my PPL and there are a good 6-8 blokes not far off getting theirs.It is a good school/club as it does the RAAus and GA in the same establishment(different CFI's).I have saved a tonne of money by doing the U/L portion before GA.

YEP !

Pretty right there Adam. To understand the flying characteristics of the different aircraft is a good start. If you can look at the design and understand why it flies as it does is a big help too. This is not as difficult as you might think.

A compiled list of the aircraft that we fly and their handling charactistics would not be a waste of time either . You could compare your reaction to the aircraft with the established view and work out why you see it as you do. Would be a big help in giving intending purchasers a guide too .

Good training is what it takes, some aircraft are quite forgiving and some demand very precise management to be safe. Nev..

The only time I flew a Gazelle was for a GA BFR. No problems landing it deadstick on to Emu Park airstrip. Previous to that I had been flying C172 and a Thruster. I still feel it is a great little plane to fly.

Interesting thread...bigglesworth, I learnt to fly in a Grumman Lynx, then flew cheetahs and tigers, did my initial twin in a grumman cougar and yes have also done a flight review in the skyfox (taildragger and gazelle) they are all fun and can all bite the complacent..;)