Poll: Have you responded to CASA re: Weight Increase?

Al B

Have you given CASA feedback regarding the 760kg Weight Increase?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Have you given CASA feedback regarding the 760kg Weight Increase?

• Yes, I've responded with my thoughts
    • No, but I'm planning to response soon
    • No, I have no interest in the proposal
    • No, I don't have the time to respond

G'day all,

As you know, recently the RAA has asked the membership to leave feedback regarding CASA's discussion paper "Mass Increase for Aeroplanes Administered by RAAO". You can find that paper at Discussion Paper DP 0802OS - Mass Increase for Aeroplanes Administered by RAAO

I'm just curious to see how many people are taking the time to respond.

The RAA believe this is a numbers game, and are urging everyone to leave their thoughts. You can bet those who are against this proposal are leaving theirs.

Cheers,

Al

760 Kgs.

We should respond in large numbers as No response is APATHY, and this is not the time for it. I notice on the RAAus. website that the numbers who bothered to VOTE in the recent elections was pretty pathetic, (to put it mildly). I do not include the states where there was no need to vote, (the candidates being equal in number to those required), but even that is not necessarily desireable.

It should be obvious that when you take ANYTHING for granted, you can lose it.

I would like the comment and response to this survey to be INFORMED, and I will be expecting some information to be forthcoming in the next RAAus Mag.. Perhaps we should discuss it here. I have perused the document, and find it not the simplest thing to respond to, and I will put in the time to do it properly. Regards Nev..

Having just sent back the form, I did speak to Lee Ungermann before submitting my response. In the reply to option 3 the RAA preferred response is that this option would be acceptable with changes. The change suggested is to increase the weight from 750kg to 760kg MTOW.

As a Trike pilot with no formal 3-Axis experience I'm finding it difficult to justify a response as (1) the increase won't apply to Trikes and (2) I have no formal experience or training on 3 Axis machines. (Where's the Shrugging shoulder smiley?)

Rgds,

Glen

I rec'd an email from Lee Ungerman today congratulating RA-Aus members for their overwhelming response rate ... over 600 to date. He also points out that some members' responses may have gone astray, something to do with CASA's server being overloaded or such like.

Because of this CASA has asked RA-Aus to collect a list of members names and numbers to submit a bulk response based on the RA-Aus preferred options.

If you haven't yet rec'd this email, I suggest you contact the RA-Aus admin staff and ask that a copy be sent. It has a specific email address link on which to send your details/response.

Paul

PS I just found the RA-Aus response email address. Use this to send them your consent to respond to CASA with the RA-Aus preferred options ... just send your member name and member number, nothing else as this is not a general communications address. [email protected]

Guest Andys@coffs
As a Trike pilot with no formal 3-Axis experience I'm finding it difficult to justify a response as (1) the increase won't apply to Trikes and (2) I have no formal experience or training on 3 Axis machines....

Glen

These type of rule changes are fairly rare events and whilst its true that you currently fly trikes, and nothing to do with 3 axis can you be sure that will be the case in 5yrs time?

5yrs ago I flew trikes and wasnt remotely interested in 3 axis, today I fly both. That certainly wasnt on the radar back then.

Can I suggest that even if you never have any interest in 3-axis, voting, as RAA suggested, doesnt hurt you in any way and does provide more options down track should you choose to take them. In otherwords you have everything to gain and nothing to loose.

In fact for anyone who doesnt yet fly at all, but who may well choose to in the future, the same points apply.

Andy

I must say that I was impressed to receive a personal acknowledgement from CASA not an automated response or dear "email user name" note.

very impressed

Yes so its costs to provide this kind of service but for the first time ever in any consultation proces I believe my feedback is actually been factored in

I was impressed with the CASA email too. I read some bad things about them but I am a great believer in taking on-board others experience but still deciding for myself so, so far, CASA is in my good-books :-) I am more used to govt departments saying something like "sorry, we had some issue making all your votes invalid but we tried, better luck next time..."

While this rule doesn't affect all of us I agree that it is good to support the people who are supporting us and those related to us in our hobby. It works both ways, the next rule change may be for weight-shifters and not 3 axis...

Where am I now?

This is a poll. I have revised my situation, In so much as I have responded . The situation is that "you have already voted in this poll". so does the poll accurately reflect the reality? The answer is NO! Nev..

Hi Andy,

You've pretty much nailed my own thoughts. Even 2 years ago before upgrading to a 912 trike I considered whether my hard earned might be better invested in a 3-axis machine.

Mainly for the reason that another family member also flies trikes I stayed with trikes, for the time being at least until that situation changes.

So I have just sent my email of support to the RAAus email address in Pauls post, as it may increase the range (Models) and capability of aircraft available under RAAus when I do get around to doing my 3 axis conversion.:thumb_up:

Just responded on CASA's website too.

Cheers,

Glen

• 2 weeks later...

A change to current regs. to allow Ra-Aus to administer sport flying is the only sensible option...of course like anything the best training is the key? It makes me laugh when I go to the airport here at Mky and see the antique Cessnas dotting the field and think of the age of the fleet...Bring on LSA's...So us average Joe's can afford to fly...

Aerodrome flotsam.

The amazing thing is the number of planes that don't live in hangars. If you left a bucket out in a paddock like these planes are, it wouldn't have a bottom in it after a short while. I am a bit surprised to hear people saying that they will build in metal as they won't be using a hangar. It is surprising that this 40+ year old aluminium stuff is still in one piece when it's not cared for. I've seen some extreme examples of advanced corrosion when it is all opened up....Nev..