Jabiru Single Seater Highwing....????

Guest Bendorn

The helicopter was there 6 or 7 years ago and was crashed on first flight. Jabiru have a good situation of being able to get Govt grants for research and development and have to show some results for the money.Thats why IMO there are helicopters and single seaters sitting around to show the Govt guys their (sorry our) money is being spent on new products even though it is probably mostly used on existing aircraft development.

You can search and see the grants some of these companies get, BIG money for some of the strangest ideas, like $180,000 for a new machine to cut toenails (hoves) on sheep

Michael

I have been the recipient of Gov't R&D Grants in the past for medical prosthetics and know the burden of the reporting system to demonstrate how the money was used & the results obtained from the grant program.

The underlined section of your para 2 would appear to indicate fraud if, as you say, Gov't grant funds are being used for purposes other than for which they were intended.

Did you really mean to say that in a public forum?

If so, best you have all of your money in a bank in Lichtenstein.

Regards Geoff

Can't see it, the first thing to go would be the 12% wing chord, and 10-15kn of cruise speed. I love my Sonex but an hour under the bubble it the Aust. summer more than enough! For X-country work the high wing J230 wins everytime.

Yeah I would agree with you.....that's why I wondered the reason for wanting a low wing, but I guess everyone's got there preferences...

MP I just noticed you fly from Gympie? My grandparents live there and I would assume you would of heard/seen them before... He's the owner of "Polley's Coaches", Duncan Polley:big_grin:

Being a high wing is probably one of the reasons why the Jab is popular all over Australia in terms of the UV component. Being built in QLD that may have been one of the deciding factors in the high wing design. It's interesting though that many of those that like low wings in GA, purchase low wings in RA, only to find that the big bubble canopy offers no protection from the sun unlike their larger GA cousins like the Piper / Warrior etc that are far from a bubble canopy.

Guest Michael Coates

No, No, No....

I am in no way referring to misappropriation or fraud in my information above. What I am saying is that you are able to get government grants to be able to do different projects.

Let's say for example jabiru have received a government grant to build a single seat aircraft, all they need to do is to convince the government representative that there is a need for a single seat aircraft in the Australian market (or more importantly international market) and there is a good possibility based on their track record of receiving government grants that this will happen especially when you are based in a rural area which has the highest unemployment region in Queensland and you already have a track record of getting developments to market and can create new jobs.

Now, jabiru may really have no interest whatsoever in producing a single seat aircraft. They may however have an interest in using some of the information, process's or technology gained from developing this aircraft in implementing the results / technology into their current product range.

A perfect example is the comment above where somebody said the single seat aircraft was a strutless aircraft.

Doing this development on their own would cost many tens of thousands or possibly more dollars; whereas having a government grant to develop a single seat aircraft without wing struts can pay for this even if the single seat aircraft NEVER gets put to production, they have the lessons learnt by developing the single seater which can be carried over to the current production aircraft which may suddenly not have struts !

Nothing in my comments above should be misunderstood as saying government grants are used for purposes other than which they are intended. If jabiru or any other company can have a flow on effect and merge some of this technology into their current product line then good for them! It shows that the government grant money is being used to full effect by the company to put them in a better marketplace position.

I say again, very loudly, there is no jabiru bashing in my comments but I do have sympathy for sheep with long toenails (hooves)

Guest airsick

Government grants are interesting things. I did a project looking into some World Bank Projects which essentially funded research, aid, etc. in other countries and the findings were somewhat fascinating. I won’t go into details but will give a quick example of how funding supplied by a third party actually goes into something it wasn’t intended for.

Let’s say a company has two projects it is interested in, Project A and Project B. Each project requires $1m of funding but the company only has a total of $1m so it clearly cannot fund both. Project A from a business perspective looks like a winner and would be the project of choice. Project B on the other hand has a high probability of being a dog. From the point of view of the company Project A is the one that would get funded so Project B falls by the wayside and never gets done.

Now, say the government or some other funding organisation comes along with $1m. They too decide that Project B is too risky but think that Project A is something they would like to be involved in so they throw their $1m at it. The company now has an excess of $1m and decides they will use this to fund Project B.

Although the donor has funded Project A what they have actually done is enable Project B to be undertaken. That is, if it wasn’t for them Project A would have been done anyway and Project B would have been shelved. The extra funding has thus gone to the dodgy project.

This is a slight twist on what Michael said. If Jabiru didn’t get the grant they may not have the funding to investigate say, the helicopter project. Instead they would forge on with other more promising projects such as a strutless wing. But with the funding they are now able to take on the project with lower returns, something they wouldn’t have done otherwise. Is the government really funding a helicopter then?

That said, this does not apply to all cases and, not being familiar with Jabiru the company, I would be hesitant to say this is the case here.

The factors in my decision are simple, Aussie and locally built ( less than 1.5 hrs by rd from me) sun factor, safety and simplicity in design with a very mangable end product that does not have all the speed and bells and whistles of some other low wing Aircraft but does the job as well if not better and is capable of comfortable cross country touring with adequate cargo space for the camping gear and my wifes shopping.

Regards Watto

Guest High Plains Drifter
Nothing in my comments above should be misunderstood as saying government grants are used for purposes other than which they are intended

Maybe not with the current Gov...LOL (and I'm not refering to your comments 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

• 2 weeks later...

My personal belief is that we should all be very grateful for all the hard work and development that Jabiru have put into Australian aviation, in particular recreational flying, Jabiru have paved the way for other types as well to be accepted into the recreational market in Australia. They achieved this with dedication integrity and a transparent approach to development of excellent good value Aircraft with next day parts availability, good on you Jabiru 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• 1 year later...

weight?? long wing, E flight motor, trailerable, might have something going for it. single seat is gaining populartity in the US. especially if the weight is 103.

ozzie, you could be onto something there - a single seater with removable wings a la RV12 AND and an electric motor would put Jabiru well ahead of the game. I understand the Yuneec from China is Aus bound next year and if the real endurance is anything like what they claim, then it is going to be an interesting choice for those folk who don't venture more than an hour from home base. Not what I want out of an aircraft, but there are many who realistically virtually never do anything more than a local jolly.

• 2 weeks later...