Interesting....Comments anyone?

Guest drizzt1978

It looks to me that the glue stuff that the pads consist off reacted with the heat and wore down very quickly, that's why there is bits of pad glued to the rotor/disc...

Ah...;) I think I just found his problem.... It's a moving head caliper, right... Take a close look at the springs on the bolts to make it spring apart once it's released... well the spring has closed up to it's maximum ability, which didn't allow the other side to move in (the side without the piston), so cause the piston side to go out farther to compensate which in turn bent the plate with the pad on it.....and pooped out the O-ring....

I'll attach a zoomed up pic of the spring that's closed up to it's maximum ability...

What do you all reckon....???

Cheers,

524356108_Copyofjab_brake_failure.jpg.c04639cc372455b0681d4cc10b7b3da3.jpg

jab_brake_failure.jpg.2acc026ac9eb628e0f24d9b941f1c2ef.jpg

Most Australian pilots are trained to use the brakes sparingly, not to rely on them to pull up after landing too fast. From the story about the melting of the pads and the blue discoloration of the disk, I would guess that his speed was excessive. Will have to have a look at the runway length at Santa Monica.

Either that or he just held them on lightly, before he actually needed to use them... It's just like driving down a hill in your car, you don't ride brakes all the way down, you use them firmly and in short amounts... that is probably how he got them hot, but that's not the bent plate and O-ring problem, that's for certain.....

I wonder if it happened to both sides?, I didn't see any where that he mentioned of anything like that, did you?

Cheers,

It's pretty simple really, the brake pads are stuffed and should have been replaced long ago. Add to that that the bolts weren't tightened as the brake pads wore out thus allowing the pistons to over extend and allow the o-rings to catch because the pitson didn't come out evenly.

The second pic from the left and the bottom left pic clearly show the rivets are flush with the pads which means they are worn too far and the rivets are scraping on the brake discs.

This highlights the importance of PROPER maintenance by someone who knows what they are doing!

Guest drizzt1978

Awesome....Jst like my Race Car....make sure everything is 100%. Then check It again!!

Didnt pick the problem with the springs tho....

Ahh Flying tomorrow and then Saturday morning...

Not enough Hours in the day...

Or money in the bank!!!

The report portrays astonishment at Jabiru not announcing that they have modified something... hahaha

All ops normal. In most cases (kit, LSA) they don't have to tell anyone anything.