Bringing home the Jabiru

geoffreywh

I may, very soon have the opportunity to ferry a J230 from Bundaberg to Mangalore. Can anyone advise on the SAFEST/Easiest route, (Having of course, flown it themselves) I don't need necessarily the quickest. I am NOT in a hurry. I can see it means crossing the Great Dividing Range, but where?...Any "watch out for" points gratefully received.......... Geoffrey

G'day Geoff,

Picked up my J160 almost three years ago now. I would suggest the following:

1. Bundy to Moree - the longest leg while you're fresh 305nm,

2. Moree to Narromine - strange to see it so quiet. 183nm,

3. Narromine to Griffiths - very good stop, serve your self hot pies, pasties, S rolls etc 163nm, and

4. Griffiths to Mangalore - home. 164nm.

I took on fuel at Moree and Griffiths. Griffiths is a real good stop over - nice clubrooms and serve yourself food, honour system to pay.

Thee are plenty of allternate airports if you have any trouble.

regards

My stops back in the LSA55 days were Bundy, Dalby, Morree, Narromine, Wangaratta and home. J160 days with all that masses of fuel on board would take you to Morree first stop, Narromine, then home perhaps, subject to bladder integrity. From memory there is a bit of unfriendly ground from Bundy to Dalby but there's little you can do to avoid it other than go nice and high.

Geoff

Pete has it right (as usual).

I've now flown it a couple of times. Get over the Great Divide as soon as you reasonably can once you leave Bundy along a couple of those valleys, then head down the western plains or slopes.

Moree, Narromine, Leeton, Narrandera, Tocumwal etc are all good possibilities. I have done Bundy/Gunnedah/Toc in a 160 in one day of 10 hours flying but that is a long tiring day.

Main thing, I reckon, is to get west of the mountainy hard bits ASAP and then really enjoy the flight down the flat bits with the big paddocks.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Geoff

Just one further point. Kev has suggested the Peppercorn at Narromine and I have stayed there too, but if you haven't been to Narromine before and plan to overnight there you will find that the caravan park also has cabins that will have you within an easy walk distance (about 200 m) of the tiedown cables & the aero club.

Regards Geoff

Cant beat wing-tanks: When I collected my J160 in July, I went Bundy to Chinchilla (to avoid high gound, with 700' AGL cloud), then direct to Bathurst. 5.2 hours non-stop.. (Trick is to go light on fluids before departure.. :-)

Out of Bundy you have the option of crossing the ranges near Gayndah then just west of Dalby to Moree and on to Narromine. If the weather is good Bundy, Gympie, Watts Bridge, Gatton, Moree is more scenic. Pit stop at Moree (fuel, BP card or agent 20 min callout) after about 3 hours then a less then a couple of hours and overnight at the Caravan Park cabins at the airport at Narromine. ($55 clean Air/Con, fuel at Aero Club cash or credit card) Direct Mangalore about 3 hours. Going over or close to Moree keeps clear of the hills.

Wow Chris, 5.2 hours is some time in the air. Did you have any oil left in the motor when you arrived? I don't like to do more than around three hours, and I usually have just a bit of oil showing on the dipstick (wound all the way in).

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Bloody hell! 5 hours? I suppose I could take a one and a half ltr. bottle with me, empty it, then fill it up again so to speak plus hope the cheese sandwiches soak some up? ..I didn't think of running out of oil.....That might well be possible with a new 6 cylinder..With my own 0-200 I barely use any between changes! With regard to the engine. I think that flights might have to be held to 2 or 3 hours maximum...Thanks for the tip...Geoff

My 3300 burns 22ml per hour, compression tests 80/74 cold. Gympie-Narromine-Ballarat 7hr 50min oil goes from half full to low mark. (done the trip twice) Anything over half full and it starts chucking it out into the bottle. If you are burning more than 50ml an hour I'd check the compression. A J230 went thru Gympie recently it was burning 80ml an hour on a new engine, turned out that a barrel bolt was pinching a cylinder, easy fix.

Guest basscheffers
Bloody hell! 5 hours? I suppose I could take a one and a half ltr. bottle with me, empty it, then fill it up again so to speak

You know outdoor stores sell special bags for this? Filled with powder that turns it all into a gel, so no nasty accidents. And a probably a lot easier opening to get it in without spills to begin with.

Here's one, I am sure someone will sell them here too.

Guest basscheffers
Bet you the forums shop sell's them to.:devil:

Looks like it does, but a wee bit more expensive. Just about 5 times the price, though! I think Ian should look for a different supplier. :)

Looks like it does, but a wee bit more expensive. Just about 5 times the price, though! I think Ian should look for a different supplier. :)

Umm, perhaps you should look at the address of them 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - that is in US dollars and they are located in the USA plus where do you get the 5 times the price thing:

http://www.clearprop.com.au/index.php?target=products&product_id=30389

Guest basscheffers

The 5 times the price was based on that converted to aussie dollars at today's rate plus 10% GST! Actually, it's closer to 4x when I use a calculator rather than my head, but that is still a big difference.

Surely, you can do better than $15 for one when they can do THREE for US$7?

The 5 times the price was based on that converted to aussie dollars at today's rate plus 10% GST! Actually, it's closer to 4x when I use a calculator rather than my head, but that is still a big difference.Surely, you can do better than $15 for one when they can do THREE for US$7?

Hmmm again! - if you read it, it says:

4 Spill proof bags for urine or vomit

What you need to do is:

1. Read the description

2. Add the extra shipping cost

3. Add the extra cost of conversion your bank will charge you on your credit card

3. Use a calculator

If you do the calculations you will most probably find that they cost about the same but the important thing is that Clear Prop pays for these forums to keep it free for you. So if you prefer to support a US company instead of these forums then I guess it is an alternative for you Basscheffers

Guest basscheffers

You could change the description to something like "Restop Disposable Toilet (pack of 4)".

Stops people from making the same mistake I did...

Wow Chris, 5.2 hours is some time in the air. Did you have any oil left in the motor when you arrived? I don't like to do more than around three hours, and I usually have just a bit of oil showing on the dipstick (wound all the way in).regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

No problem with oil... Should there be?? I have now done 25 hours and added 1 litre at 20 hours and it is still bang on the full line.. (Wound all the way in.. which I assumed is the normal measuring position).

Cheers,

Chris

No Chris.

Have a look on the jabiru website for the paper on Dipsticks, which shows them all and the levels to which they are to be filled.

Most of us find that if you fill it more than half way up the graduations it will put oil into the catch tank.

This has also been discussed extensively in other posts here, so suggest that you do a search.

No Chris.Have a look on the jabiru website for the paper on Dipsticks, which shows them all and the levels to which they are to be filled.

This has also been discussed extensively in other posts here, so suggest that you do a search.

Just do a search here on Jabiru to find the dipsticks 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - sorry Cap't I just couldn't help myself...

Ian runs away in fear of being "mass murdered" 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif 041_helmet.gif.b33edb063c342f545e37fe5acb1c5db2.gif 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif 041_helmet.gif.b33edb063c342f545e37fe5acb1c5db2.gif 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif 041_helmet.gif.b33edb063c342f545e37fe5acb1c5db2.gif

Just do a search here on Jabiru to find the dipsticks 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - sorry Cap't I just couldn't help myself...Ian runs away in fear of being "mass murdered" 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif 041_helmet.gif.b33edb063c342f545e37fe5acb1c5db2.gif 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif 041_helmet.gif.b33edb063c342f545e37fe5acb1c5db2.gif 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif 041_helmet.gif.b33edb063c342f545e37fe5acb1c5db2.gif

I/we have never (again) been so insulted ....... since last Tuesday in another thread by bigrudePete.

The trouble that you have , Ian, is that if the Jabiru owners take their high-winged bats and aircooled balls and go home, you will lose half of the members of the forum.

So there ............... (but your post was mildly amusing ... for a Rotax runner).

Regards Le Crapp

Reference: http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/general-discussion/7398-never-ending-story.html

Dear La Crapp (and all other Jabiru owners)

Please accept my most humble apologies for my "lack of thought" comment that I made about this magnificent type of aircraft called a Jabarue (??? spelling)

Regards

Ian

(he who has log book endorsement on a Jabawoo) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

PS - Can you help me out here Pelorus 32?