Newbie from Canberra

Hercules

Hi Everyone,

I am and always have been an aviation nut with intentions of getting a pilot's license since I was a wee little tacker and going to air cadets in W.A. I am now 50 and still have not done anything to achieve this dream. Call it what you will, but I must be going through a mid life crisis at the moment because I still have the bug and am determined to do something about it before I get too old to enjoy it. My wife has even bought me 6 prepaid flying lessons for my 50th birthday which was in June. Adventure before dementure is my catch cry these days.

Anyhow, a bit about me. I joined the RAAF in 1976 and discharged in 2001. Fantastic life and the only reason I got out was so that the kids could have a stable education. So much about Australian education being equal from state to state. What a joke. Anyhow, I digress. So many opportunities to acquire a PPL went through to the keeper during my career as a result of my ignorance, party too hard and/or girls etc.

Since the years have been getting away from me, so has the cost of flying and I am now pretty much resigned to the fact that perhaps an ultralight will be my last chance. I don't mind U/L and have been subscribing to the U/L magazines for years. I am somewhat weary of rag and tube. Don't feel too comfortable with them at all. I did have a lot of interest in the Fox Jet 97 from a few years ago but they seem to have disappeared off the radar. Jet Fox 97, Jet Fox 97 ultralight, Jet Fox 97 ultralight trainer.

The item of interst that fell into an affordable category was the Sadler Vampire. Not sure what there is to know about this one. I have tried contact the company Aero V. Australia vie email and their web site but they don't seem interested in selling these things because I have never had a response from them. I did see a forum item here where someone created a blog of their purchase of a Vampire from South Australia and now is based in Nowra. Hopefully, I can get some information from this feller on the pros and cons of this machine. Does anyone here have an opinion that they would like to share with me on this aircraft? I seem to recall somewhere, a long while ago, that a pilot of around 100kg may experience problems flying this thing but I may be mistaken and thinking of something else. I am around 90kg.

Anyhow, there is a lot more that I could share with you but I don't want to risk boring you all too early in the piece.

I look forward to many discussions in the future with any of you.

Cheers

Grant 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Hi Hercules,

Welcome to cyber flight ... the next best thing to real flight.

If you haven't already been in contact with him contact Ultralights on this forum. He's the one you refer to above. Do a search under the "members" link and send him a Private Message might be a good start.

Cheers,

Paul

G'day,

I waited until I was 44 before finally 'doing something about it'. Better late than never I guess! I only have 13 hours so far so not exactly a pro but I am enjoying the learning experience :-)

The vampire doesn't have a lot of room to move with it's weight limits does it. Basically a 90kg person and a full tank gets pretty close to the max limit. Canberra is high too so the performance, especially in summer might not be too good. It would be really good to hear from someone that has flown it!

I wonder if the CG loading would be ok for a 100kg person? There isn't a lot you can do to move the CG in that aircraft I think!?

Gday Paul,

Thanks for the advice. I have sent a very quick email to Ultralights in Nowra. I have asked for a little advice on the aircraft and his thoughts as well.

I feel that I may be flying out of Cooma if I get the chance to go U/L because from what I can see, there is not much around the Canberra area for this activity.

There was some talk of creating a grass field at Williamsdale but the Stanhopless government is dragging the chain on that development. They appear to more interested in building monuments to themselves such as twisted iron girders on the Barton Highway, unwanted prison and statues etc.

Hopefully, the new government will take some action and make this project happen as well as getting our dragway back.

Cheers

Grant

Gday Thx1137,

I am still trying to feel my way around the various aircraft in this U/L class and just liked the look of the Vampire. I believe that there is scope for a 2 seater version although I am not sure about this because the company will not respond to any of my messages.

Congrats on your decision to get into the sport/life of U/L. I envy you at this point. How do you like your sportstar?

I hope that I can get into the air before too much longer. I think I will be operating out of either Cooma or Williamsdale, if the ACT government gets their ducks in a row and approves the development.;)

Cheers

Grant

It isn't a good sign is it. What is the spares support like! It did look interesting thats for sure. My mother is in Canberra so 'when' I get my cross country I would love to fly up there but the idea of parking so far away because I wont be allowed in controlled airspace is annoying!

The sportstar is fantastic. The only thing that concerns me is if I managed to flip it. Getting out would be rather difficult, trying to push the plane off the canopy! It is a great plane to fly though and has a great view outside.

It look like the weather tomorrow is goint to be like last Saturday. 14knot winds which were rather gusty, oh well, I guess they wont be lazy relaxing circuits!

Can you not rent a plane for a little while while you shop? It seems a shame to be earth bound when the skys are calling!

Guest airsick
I wont be allowed in controlled airspace is annoying!

This could be changing very soon...

Flying from Canberra is quite fun, just gotta watch out for the jet blast as you taxi behind the heavies. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

G'day airsick (arne't you better yet? :-)) Yeah, looking forward to that. Though first I have to finish getting the Pilot Certificate, then get the Passenger endorsement then the Cross Country endorsement THEN the CTA endorsement!

Seems like a long road but I am flying every week now!

Sometimes I have to remind myself, enjoy the journey (training), any time in the air is good so I try not to be impatient...

My mother is in Canberra so 'when' I get my cross country I would love to fly up there but the idea of parking so far away because I wont be allowed in controlled airspace is annoying!

If they ever get Williamsdale up and running, it would be a big shot in the arm for aviation. Anything to get away from the Snow Corporation of the Canberra airport would be fantastic. It is only a few minutes drive from the Tuggeranong Valley, where I live and approx 20 minutes to the City. Mind you, public transport and Taxis are non existent from here but I am sure that would be a minor problem.

The twin seater version of the Vampire can be found at Sadler Vampire, Sadler Vampire II, Sadler Vampire lightsport aircraft, Bill Sadler designer of the Sadler Vampire and Sadler Vampire II, Lightsport Aircraft video magazine.. Not sure if it has been built yet or even if it is in Aust but it sure would be nice to share the flying experience with the kids.

I note that you may have a medical problem with your comment of being unable to push the aircraft off the canopy in the event of a roll over. Hope you get better before that happens. hehehehe Hope it never happens to you.

It is interesting to see that there are moves afoot to allow u/l into Canberra (controlled airspace) airport, but I must admit, I am a little weary about it. I have seen these aircraft operating around the tarmac as I have been taxiing out on GA lessons. I know it can be done because I went for a trike flight at Broome in 2005 and that airport is an International airport.

Today is or would be a fantastic day to go flying but alas, I must be content to just fly my electric models for the time being.

Cheers

Grant:thumb_up:

No medical issues, just if the aircraft is upside down you cant get out! I read that the newer model has an optional hammer for smashing the cockpit bubble so you can make a hole to get out.

I used to fly electric aircraft and helis. I still have 3 helis sitting in the cupboard but haven't flown them in years. Too expensive when I bend them :-)

Guest airsick
It is interesting to see that there are moves afoot to allow u/l into Canberra (controlled airspace) airport, but I must admit, I am a little weary about it. I have seen these aircraft operating around the tarmac as I have been taxiing out on GA lessons.

It can already be done but only if you have a current PPL. This is how my brother and I get away with it.

Are you still training at Canberra? Is that with Brindabella?

Guest airsick

Once you have your PPL then you will automatically get the other endorsements for your RAA certificate when you convert over. This is pretty much a formality given the similarities between HP ultralights and GA aircraft, you simply have to prove you can fly the thing! So flying out of Canberra will be no worries for you. :)

Once you have your PPL then you will automatically get the other endorsements for your RAA certificate when you convert over...snip... So flying out of Canberra will be no worries for you. :)

Sounds promising but I am not sure if I will be able to continue through to PPL. Money, time etc. That is one of the main reasons I was looking at U/L and possibly utilising Williamsdale. I have noticed though, that the link I have for the proposal has gone and I can't see anything else around for Chris Price's original research. Does this mean that it is a dead issue? I truly hope not. :black_eye: From memory, it was proposed back in 2005 but it may have been a little later. Perhaps a letter to the minister may prove helpful, if I can figure who that is after the election we just had. Who knows, it may even be a greeny thumb_down