How far have they gone?

chinookflyer

I am new to Thrusters. I am just in the process of buying a TST. I was wondering what are some of the great trips that Thrusters have done in the past? I am sure that such a great little aircraft with such a long history has done many great things. For example have they ever flown around the world, from Australia to the UK, around the coast of Australia? Is here any one out there still making long epic journeys? Scott

Howya goin' Scott?Although it would be very capable,my thruster does no trips over about 1 hour.I am 185cm tall and find it a bit cramped in the cockpit(my right leg goes to sleep after an hour).If I want to go somewhere I just hire something faster and more comfy from the local aero club.Cheers.

Hi Skyhog - I am going really well. I am tall (and wide) so I was not thinking of doing too many long trips myself. I am hoping to fly my TST locally mainly. It would be interesting to know about some of the epic trips made in Thrusters. I seem to remember Eugene Reid from Tasmania doing a very long trip in his. I think he has crossed over to the main land in his. I thought that in the early days some brave soles may have made some really great trips. All the best Scott

Maybe one day Steve Cohen will allow a film called "On A Wing and A Prayer' to be re released. this was when Arnold Cohen and Adin Wicks flew from Townsville to the tip of Cape York, back around 1984. incredible adventure. I remember sending parts off to them nearly every second day. Adin could never break his habit of landing them like his 747.

Eugene crossed the 'pond' several times in early Thrusters. and i had several of my own adventures but nothing like them. Thrusters will take you anywhere you want to go. a four hour cross country is still a 4 hr flight no matter how fast you go. what you see along the way and where you can land and get out of again is where a Thruster stands out. They would be better now than the old ones as they now have more power and stronger airframes.

Ozzie

Thanks Ozzie. The Townsville to the tip sounds great - and right in my part of the world - I live in Cairns. I have just looked at the Queensland Country Airstrip Guide - there are plenty of airfields and homesteads with runways up there so it is still quite possible. But a very gutsy trip to say the least. Getting fuel would (and still would) be difficult I think. The logistics of a break down would have been a nightmare! It would be a great part of the world to make such a trip. Do you know if they had a ground grew following them?

I make that about 2700km - so is that the longest trip a thruster has ever done - I bets its not!

All the best

Scott

Guest TOSGcentral

There was another long trip that I know of. It was done in a swished up T300 (The Eagle) and went from Grafton to the Tip and back again.

A video was made of the trip and was on general release but I have never seen it and it was about ten years ago now.

I do not think they bothered much with airfields - just landed on the beach and chucked in a line for dinner :)

Terry (the owner) succumbed to a curvy blonde and bought a boat. The Eagle went to Darwin where it still now is. I guess it got a taste for the Top End!

Thats a long one Tony - I make that about 6000 km round trip. It would be great to get a copy of the video - does anyone out there have a copy?

In the October RAA magazine on page 17 Carol Richards makes mention of a Thruster trip from Port Augusta to Birdsville. That would be about 1800 km round trip.

As anyone done an East to West crossing of Australia in a Thruster?

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe one day Steve Cohen will allow a film called "On A Wing and A Prayer' to be re released. this was when Arnold Cohen and Adin Wicks flew from Townsville to the tip of Cape York, back around 1984. incredible adventure. Ozzie

G`Day Ozzie,

I met Steve Cohen, around that time,when he turned up here one day to have a look at an aircraft I was building.

I don`t remember who gave it to me, because it`s a long time ago, but I was given a video recorder tape of "Back Yard Wings" and there was footage of that flight on it.

If "Back Yard Wings" is still around,it realy is worth watching.

Cheers,

Frank 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Thruster flight to Cape York for red nose day

Hi Guys,

In 1995 I did a fund raising trip to Cape York for Red Nose day (in my little blue Thruster with a red nose painted on). I should scan in the photos

and upload them.

We started in Newcastle and flew to Boonah to join up with the other 5 ultralights. We officially started the flight from Amberley AFB , then we went up

to Cooktown inland then onto Weipa, then just two aircraft went up to the tip. ( I planned on going to the tip of Cape York, but lost an exhaust spring, and

punctured a tyre on departure from Coen, so stopped at Weipa for a pit stop). We came back along the coast, and intended to drop in at Watts Bridge on

the way back, but got socked in at Noosa (we had some marginal VFR on the coastal segments).

Some very long days in there! I fitted a C172 bladder tank into the wing, for a total fuel capacity of 90litres, or 4 hrs + reserve.

I've flown longer safaris in C172 and C182's but the Thruster trip was the most fun.

Lots of fun times, plus we raised $20,000+ for a worthy cause.

Cheers BobT