Ok, How did you get the flying bug??

Tomo

Great Story Tim,

Man, after doing those aero's any other plane flying would feel tame....

That's my next thing I'll have to do, find someone to take me for a bit of aerobatics...

Thanks for sharing:thumb_up:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AnGrobler

Hi guys, another newbie here :)

I used to have these extremely vivid dreams where I would use our tennis court as a runway from which I could 'launch' myself and then fly all around our yard, through the house and wherever else I wanted to go.

Finally at the age of around 10, I experienced my first real flight. My dad's friend took my two brothers hunting in his helicopter at our game farm, and afterwards gave me a lift to one of the neighbouring farms. Needless to say, I was thrilled, but I never thought it would be something I'd be able to do myself. Girls simply didn't dream of becoming pilots - it was a 'boy thing'.

My next encounter came when a parachutist landed on my paper target during a competition at a school fair, and I was awestruck by how cool this guy was. I started dreaming about parachuting and did my first static line jump from a 'Kudu' during my first year at uni. My second and third jumps followed soon after, but without proper instruction, ended in a broken coxyx. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

I decided to try out alternative ways of flying - giving gliding a go, and then microlighting over Shaka's Rock, KZN, South Africa. I loved it. Never had the opportunity to go again though, until very recently.

My husband received his first army posting in Albury/Wodonga and after having left the hustle & bustle of Sydney for a few months I felt I needed a bit of excitement. After some research I found Steve's microlighting school at Bright and figured I might as well learn how to fly instead of just go a couple of times for the buzz of it.

So far I've only logged 4 hours, but I'm absolutely loving it and can't wait to go again.

Happy flying everyone!

Cheers

An

My Mum at the age of Ten thought she would always love to fly... Now she's also learning to fly, in a Drifter aircraft...:thumb_up:

And still helping

and Tony...you will the first person to register here at Recreational Flying those years ago - seems like just yesterday but I would hate to guess how many recreational pilots have been helped by you and everyone else here at this site

And still is helping...Tony always has a the answer to my questions about Thrusters...091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

My parents met on an airfield, I was conceived at an airfield, grew up on an airfield, learned to drive on an airfield, learned to fly model airplanes on an airfield (control line on the keys at Cloncurry cross strip before this sort of thing was an issue)...and don't remember a time when I did not love flying or had not flown. My five year old daughter just flew to Brisbane unaccompanied to spent easter with my parents, and when I said to my mum I hope she will be all right she said "Darling...you flew from Mount Isa to Brisbane with your Uncle Doug when you were her age in a Cessna 206...Don't worry..."

Spent years away from flying but finally...now work at an airport and spend my day around aircraft and soon will get licensed...am back in heaven...

You will see me as a baby/toddler in some of my dad's old flying movies here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgFPovdXi84&feature=channel_page"

Guest AnGrobler
And still is helping...Tony always has a the answer to my questions about Thrusters...091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gifMy parents met on an airfield, I was conceived at an airfield, grew up on an airfield, learned to drive on an airfield, learned to fly model airplanes on an airfield (control line on the keys at Cloncurry cross strip before this sort of thing was an issue)...and don't remember a time when I did not love flying or had not flown. My five year old daughter just flew to Brisbane unaccompanied to spent easter with my parents, and when I said to my mum I hope she will be all right she said "Darling...you flew from Mount Isa to Brisbane with your Uncle Doug when you were her age in a Cessna 206...Don't worry..."

Spent years away from flying but finally...now work at an airport and spend my day around aircraft and soon will get licensed...am back in heaven...

You will see me as a baby/toddler in some of my dad's old flying movies here...

http://http://www.youtube.com/user/winsor68?gl=AU&hl=en-GB

You lucky aerodynamic little 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif:devil:! - oh sorry, did I say something bad?!

lol winsor68, seems like you had a great time growing up!

My story is I have always wanted to fly and I really did'nt know why. Never really did anything about it apart from trying to get into the RAAF during high school. Was told I didnt have the grades so I became a fitter instead. About 5 years ago my arnt invited me for dinner and during conversation I found out my uncle was a pilot and so a conversation of questions ensued.He had a ppl and had a RA licence and a GT400 hangered at a private strip.

Not long after I found myself at Jandakot and did a TIF and was hooked. Did some enquiries,found out about training recreational was alot cheaper then GA and learnt in Jabiru's.

It's interesting to find out that my Nanna was with the Waafs during the war and a great grandfather was a pilot during the war also, plus my uncle was in air cadets when the RAAF were still using the Mustang.

So as it turns out I had no choice but to fly as it seems to be in the blood.

And I ain't complaining.

Sort of

You lucky aerodynamic little 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif:devil:! - oh sorry, did I say something bad?! lol winsor68, seems like you had a great time growing up!

I was lucky growing up...BUT...It all stopped just before I turned 16 when the gliding club folded and the world seemed to enter some sort of economic rationalization stage??? There used to be a great aero club in Mount Isa and that died too...Spent many years trying to convince my dad that ultralights were not those dangerous contraptions...buying Pacific Ultralights from very early on and leaving them for him... and were the way to go and several times he has been on the cusp of buying a machine...he did his Ra-Aus conversion a few years ago on a Drifter and loved it...says the "Drifter is an honest little machine"...he always had the dream of sending his sons solo but with age and health it looks like it is not going to happen...so finally after many years away and dreaming I am going to start very soon and get licensed...he says he wants to be my first passenger and I can't wait...Even have his old GFA flying suit all ready to wear...even if I might look like a bit of a dick I don't care.

Bug bit, like a virus.

I was born , as a baby at a very young age about 7 NM from an airforce base.

Now I am showing my age but the constant flow of aircraft over the house such as Vampire jets, Bristol freighters, the odd Sunderland flying boat, etc just absolutely intrigued me and I always dreamed of flying these wonderful cutting edge examples of mans ingenuity. The raw power and the very distinct sound of a Vampire jet still gets me excited all these years later.

Whenever the family drove close by the airforce base I always asked the old man to to a drive by of the base just so I could see what was happening and what what flying which often was not much at all. Then they had an airshow and that blew my tiny little yet to be formed mind, {maybe still yet to be formed properly}.

At the age of 12, I took up competitive club cycling and the weekend race circuit was around this same airbase. Parachutusts landed most weekends, under round canopies in those days and I started dreaming about skydiving landing in the back yard at home and being a legend in my own lunchbox at school which kicked of another "flying" desire only to be satiated 12 years later.

However before that on March 29th in 1974, I had my first flying lesson in a C172 (Charlie Sierra Yankee) and went solo right on 6 hrs. Unfortunately after about 18 hrs I ran out of money and discovered wine women and song which started my downfall to the pitiful wreck I now am having regretted that ever since as I believe inhindsight I would have ended up flying commercially.

Afew years later again money & circumstances led me to Skydiving which took my heart and mind and wallet for about 15 years after that and I have never regreted a bit of that except for the money I spent ( I could have been a millionaire by now I reckon) This kept me right in touch with all sorts of aviation aircraft of course and I had the priviledge of jumping out of DC-3`s, Hughes helicopters, hot air balloons,Tri-pacers, Cessnas, 185, 206, 207, 172, 402, the Spanish CASA, Nomad, and Pilatus.

Whilst organsing skydive operations for a Mangalore airshow I went to SAAA meetings for 3 months prior and met crazy home builders I mean what stupid idiot would build a plane, fly it and not even jump out of it?

Phil Heffernan took me for a fly in the fabulous and amazing Vari-eze and again my desire to fly was re-ignited dreaming of one day owning my very own 'eze' and cruising alongside Fokker friendships etc.!!!! What an amazing guy that Burt Rutan has turned out to be.

It was not until much later , OK at the age of 50 that some weird middle aged crisis thingy happened so not having enough money to buy a red sports car I decided to get my flying license and started flying Ultra-lights at Pt Cook in a Gazelle and Jabs. I was back into it, and Pt Cook was a great place to fly with the mix of Trikes, UL, GA, military , airforce museum aircraft and the great Mustang filling the sky and my swelling heart.

6 years later and quite a few years after going solo in 1974 I am now a proud part owner of a great flying machine pictured to your left. Not quite a vari-eze but just as fast and a bit more comfortable on my older body.

Flying has been a long but most rewarding interest to have and the driver of my working life and day-dreamer mind.

Love it.

• 1 month later...

I was always fascinated by aircraft and as a kid, I tried to get to the airshows near Nagambie (Vic, AUS) at Easter time. Eventually at 19 I managed to make it.

I was amazed at the noise that the Merlins made, and by the 'sound of round'. I researched everything I could about engines (piston engines - I spent 18 years building them). It wasn't until my wife and I decided to do something together that we took up flying.

She is now a stones' throw away from her certificate, and I'm about a yard behind her.

Stanzahero.

Guest Gomer

I don't know. It seems that I have spent the best part of 50 years with a cricked neck, watching planes fly over. Call it a compulsion, but I can't avoid watching them. Pre 9/11, I managed to spend time in various 747 cabins, including landing at Frankfurt. I think that only made the compulsion worse...

I flew models for a while, but it was never going to be enough. Finally, with the family grown up, I've made the leap (and, in immortal words of Maxwell Smart, Loving It!).

Used to watch Spifires,hurricanes,mustangs etc. during WW2.

Was in the Sea Cadets after the War, first flight in a DH Dominie(Rapide)Navy version.

Second flight in a Vampire trainer. Failed eyesight test for Fleet Air Arm.

Later .in the Northern Territory used to fly every day as part of my job. Must have clocked quite a few hundred hours as a GA passenger 180.210.337.Comanche.Beech etc.

Got a ride a couple of years ago in my friend's Chipmunk. Rekindled the desire, now learning.

David S

Guest ozzie

It seems that no matter what age a person starts flying the seed was sown in childhood and youth.

makes good sense to grab that little 'Finkelsteen s**t kid' that lives in your street and drag him down to your airport.

• 1 month later...

I have always been a bit of a dreamer and im always wanting to try new things. Getting a pilot license was on that list but towards the bottom as at the start of any new week i want to try something new. Anyway for my birthday my gf got me a flight in some nanchang fighter planes here at jandakot, (fciwa.com) so i went up and did it and the Pilot let me take control just to have a little fly and from that day i was completely hooked and went down and started the next weekend with my current school.

I found the forum searching for a bit of information on the BAK exam and even though it wasnt what i was looking for im glad i found this forum :D

I can thank my Mum. Growing up, my mum was a sole parent trying to raise me on the pension while studying. Because of our circumstances, I used to go on these camps through an organization I can't quite remember the name of, but something like The Children's Foundation. Through this I got to go on a joy flight out at Parafield when I was about 7 or 8 and to this day I can remember the day being warm, blue skies, light breeze AND I got to sit in the right hand seat. That was it, I was sold. Everything after that day had to have something to do with flying, my matchbox cars, my leggo, everything!

I found out years later that my Mum saved really hard to pay the fee required (the foundation only subsidised these things) to which I'm very greatful (my hip pocket isn't though).

Today I have racked up 32 hours towards my recreational license and are just about to embark on my area solo, and my Mum is working in Vanuatu as an accountant, running her own business.

A feel good story!

Michael.

Guest blakey36
I joked with my father about joining the RAF. He couldn't get me to the recruiting office quick enough. Damm good move, not that I was aircrew but did get my first flight ever, in a Blackburn Beverley (Look it up)Found this site by accident whilst looking for RAAus.

Used to jump out of those buggers when I was in 2 Para best jump airrcaft around in its day...Funny thing was I wanted to be a pilot when I was in the ATC at 12yrs old had my first flight in an Avro Anson but to be a pilot in those days you had to have an engineering degree in case things went wrong up there...So I went into the Army and Jumped out of the buggers instead...Now I stay in them.

Came across this site when looking to come back to flying after having a few years forced sabbatical from it.

Bryan

Guest kiwilad

Still not sure why it got me:loopy: Wasn't raised near an airport,no'one in my family flew,but They always intrigued me.Did the model building thing as a kid,spent about 16 hrs on my ppl mid twenties in a tomahawk,never really enjoyed the enclosed cockpit. Tried again ten yrs later in a 601 with the same result.Wasn't until I went for a scenic trip in a trike that the passion came back big time:laugh: .Have just brought my first trike an the next flight I'm on my own.Just awesome

Google found me here:cool:

• 8 months later...

my first flight

I was 3 years old when I was introduced to flying, My Grandparents landed their Cherokee in a field behind our home. After waiting for what seemed like an eternity, I got to take a turn flying with Grandpa at the controls, my Mother in the right seat, and I was sandwiched between 2 of my older brothers in the back.

When my turn was up, I cried and screamed and tried to claw my way back in as they dragged me out of the cockpit, I wanted so badly to fly again, I got a lot of spankings that day.

Guest rocketdriver

Apparently one of my first words was "Airbrrrr" which my parents interpreted as "aeroplane"

And one of my earliest memories is at an aishow probably about 1950 and Dad, an ex Lancaster pilot, ducked under the single rope barrier and parked me next to this Lancaster (or Lincoln?) wheel and said " Don't move from here!" whilst he jumped up on the wheel to prime the port inner which they couldn't start. I was scared :censored:less "cos I knew it was going to be noisy, but dared not move ......

Then in about 1955 My Dad took me for a joy flight (good name that) in a Fox moth at Manchester airport ... both of us passengers ..... I'll NEVER forget the great swoopy moment as the Great Big dashed lines of the runway centreline dropped away, and then the VIEW!!

Then aircadets and being allowed to actually fly a Chipmunk. I remember one flight in particular out of RAF Henlow on a sports day.They put me in the queue for the Anson, so I transferred myself to the Chippie queue and that guy coached me to fly the circuit right down to very close in final ...... HEAVEN, and a great feeling of accomplishment.

So, when a student at the College of Aeronautics, I discovered that I could fly gliders at half price until I went solo, and there went every Sunday from then on. And lots of enjoyable dual, way beyond when I could of gone solo, thermalling and generally having fun, until, late one Wenesday evening, with my Dad there too, after a couple of surprising (instructor induced) cable break exercises, I went Solo.

The bug has never gone away .....

Apparently one of my first words was "Airbrrrr" which my parents interpreted as "aeroplane"And one of my earliest memories is at an aishow probably about 1950 and Dad, an ex Lancaster pilot, ducked under the single rope barrier and parked me next to this Lancaster (or Lincoln?) wheel and said " don't move from here! whilst he jumped up on the wheel to prime the port inner which they couldn't start. I was scared :censored:less "cos I knew it was going to be noisy, but dared not move ......

Then in about 1955 My Dad took me for a joy flight (good name that) in a

Fox moth at Manchester airport ... both of us passengers ..... I'll NEVER forget the great swoopy moment as the Great Big dashed lines of the runway centreline dropped away, and then the VIEW!!

Then aircadets and being allowed to actually fly a Chipmunk. I remember one flight in particular out of RAF Henlow on a sports day, and they put me in the queue for the Anson, so I transferred myself to the Chippie queue and that guy coached me to fly the circuit right down to very close in final ...... HEAVEN, and a great feeling of accomplishment.

So when, a student at the College of Aeronautics, I discovered that I could fly gliders at half price until I went solo, there went every Sunday from then on. And lots of enjoyable dual way beyond when I could of gone solo, thermalling and generally having fun, until, late one Wenesday evening, whith my Dad there too, after a couple of surprising (instructor induced) cable break exercises, I went Solo.

The bug has never gone away .....

Good post rocketdriver. The old Anson eh!

Also known as the "flying greenhouse" because of the very large glass area.

Went in one at Biggin Hill, also the "Chippie" which made me puke because it smelt so fumey and I was as nervous as hell. He'd done a few aero's to amuse me, but after the flight he admitted that while inverted and i'd thrown up, he had to think which way to roll out the so I copped my breakfast again, not him006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Memories!

Kind Regards

Planey

Guest burbles1

When I was 16, my sister's boyfriend, who had just gained his PPL, took me and my brother from Jandakot across to Rottnest Island. What an incredible feeling. It took another 16 years for the flying bug to bite hard enough that I wanted to learn.

I have absolutely no idea where it came from for me.

Nobody in my family is a pilot. I do know that I first flew commercially at age 3...not that I remember it...then again at age 6...still don't remember it. But maybe it started something? Who knows!

Ever since I can remember I've known that one day I would get my pilot licence. But I never went to airshows, never had model aircraft, never had posters of aircraft...pretty much nobody outside my family knew that I'd ever wanted to learn to fly.

Then, a year ago, I confused the daylights out of everyone by suddenly deciding to learn to fly 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif:big_grin:

Of course as a kid I watched every aircraft that went over and said, 'I want to be a pilot!'. Then when about 11 we had a visit from a friend of Dad's who FLEW into Bunbury Airport in his Piper Cherokee, Dad had arranged for him to take me up- well, it was on from then!!

Since then have kept chipping away at the training as I could afford it- recently went solo but moved away from Tyabb and Peninsula Aero Club- and I'm back at uni to retrain, so flying? Maybe not for a while, till I get a job and check out the local aero club (anyone from the Colac Aero Club out there??)

I keep my sanity now by going to airshows and watching Memphis Belle!

ha ha mine started with a good mate of mine who has a passion for aviation :D he want to be a comercial pilot, then i met another know mate called shaun ha ha he owns a drifter and talking to him led me to the australian air force cadets peerce bullsbrook WA (701SQN) that was were it started i went for my first flight in a cessna 172 and was inspired to be able to fly myself :D i talked to every company at jandacot and all the PPL companies couldnt do any better the 10K (to ,much for a young bording school student) ha ha upon reading my brothers collections of RA-Aus magazines i came accross the ad for this forum and then the ad for Glenn at Sporting Aviation academy im starting my training when i can get out to wildcatchem :D but i think my true inspiration comes from eagles!! ha ha not incredible interesting story but its mine :D :Norton: