Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi allHaving recently bought a 701 and I am pretty close to fully restoring it, I am looking at installing the 12 VGs that were supplied to the previous owner from Zenit, but never fitted.. I have looked at the pages showing the location for installation.One of the photos shows the VGs neatly stacked with a tag on them stating 12. The clip-seal bag they came in says 16 but only 12 in the bag. Other photos show considerably more than 12 on the curved underside of the stabilator.

Anyhow, I could not find anywhere that gave the spacings between them. I have taped them on at 6" intervals prior to riveting them in position and lined them at the point shown in the pictures.

I am keen to hear from anyone with a working knowledge of them and what is the optimum number and/or spacing their benefit.

Thanks

Ron

You could try contacting John Gilpin (JG3 on this forum) who is probably Australia's expert on VGs. Try his website: stolspeed.com

Hi allHaving recently bought a 701 and I am pretty close to fully restoring it, I am looking at installing the 12 VGs that were supplied to the previous owner from Zenit, but never fitted.. I have looked at the pages showing the location for installation.One of the photos shows the VGs neatly stacked with a tag on them stating 12. The clip-seal bag they came in says 16 but only 12 in the bag. Other photos show considerably more than 12 on the curved underside of the stabilator.

Anyhow, I could not find anywhere that gave the spacings between them. I have taped them on at 6" intervals prior to riveting them in position and lined them at the point shown in the pictures.

I am keen to hear from anyone with a working knowledge of them and what is the optimum number and/or spacing their benefit.

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron, check out this page:

Installing Micro Vortex Generators (VG) on the STOL CH 701 Elevator

That shows them using 15 VG's per elevator so I reckon the bag of 16 is only for one side. The page shows photos of install including distances so looks pretty handy. If in doubt, email the Zenith team, they're pretty responsive.

Good luck!

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Finally, after jumping through what often seemed like endless hoops I today received my unrestricted CofA for my VH experimental registered CH701. Now I might be able to think about visiting all of you who fly from Kilcoy and maybe get down to Coominya also!

• Like 3

Finally, after jumping through what often seemed like endless hoops I today received my unrestricted CofA for my VH experimental registered CH701. Now I might be able to think about visiting all of you who fly from Kilcoy and maybe get down to Coominya also!

Congratulations mate , enjoy the flying , you most welcome in Kilcoy . Cheers. H.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 80 kt just driving back to Cristchurch after a week in the bush do you no of any airports between Arthur's pass and Christchurch that might have a 701 there ? Flying back to oz Sunday night.

cheers Phil

Jetboy is right on the button - Rangiora which is 20 mins north of Christchurch has a squadron of 701's. If you talk nicely to Stu Bufton he will take you into the local riverbed - its his party piece.

• 5 months later...

Sometimes ? ......... a Council will charge an annual fee for local aircraft who's home is the local strip

Ask Council - they might see this as fairer and more manageable - accounting concept is ....... locals pay bread and butter - visitors get fleeced

• Haha 1

Its only $11, you are going to lose a lot more than that if you sell your plane, may as well make the most of it

Trouble is, it is another eleven dollars. I moved house to Warwick to live close to the airfield so that I could fly every day, weather permitting. Previously I lived in Ipswich where the rates were higher than Brisbane then discovered Warwick’s are even more extortionate. Also pay hangarage, a portion of which, I am sure, also goes back to the council as rates. Just get fed up being ripped off by every level of government! Would be better if I knew how long my money has to last!

Sometimes ? ......... a Council will charge an annual fee for local aircraft who's home is the local stripAsk Council - they might see this as fairer and more manageable - accounting concept is ....... locals pay bread and butter - visitors get fleeced

Mmm! Might be possible. They already get hangar rates and I buy their extortionate avgas also. Very unfriendly Council currently. They have put a bloody great chain and padlock on the gate at the terminal building so taxis and other vehicles cannot get in to pick up visiting pilots as, for example the Winjeel that was there this morning. Anyone might think that they don’t want fly-in visitors!

DK - have you thought about Clifton? It's 30 minutes up the road from you... Avgas and Mogas on pump, a clubhouse and accommodation attached, great people. You'll never find a family more attached and committed to ultralight flying than the Banges. Webcams on the field so you can check the local weather from home over your morning coffee.

You'd need to join the DDSAA - a whole $50/year, from memory - and be prepared to go up there sometimes to help out with airfield maintenance.

Seriously - the whole ambience at Clifton is wonderful. I know Warwick well, and Clifton and surrounding area - great place to fly, just for the damn fun of it. Tootling along at maybe 700 AGL through the surrounding ranges, shooting the gaps anywhere down to Gatton or up to nearly Toowoomba - a tonic for the jaded soul.

It's sad to see a long-time aviator ground down by an unfeeling Council, and the costs involved. I seriously recommend that - before you fire-sale your much-loved aircraft - at least organise with Trevor Bange to go on a flight around the area with him, and discuss the costs of re-locating to Clifton.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

DK - have you thought about Clifton? It's 30 minutes up the road from you... Avgas and Mogas on pump, a clubhouse and accommodation attached, great people. You'll never find a family more attached and committed to ultralight flying than the Banges. Webcams on the field so you can check the local weather from home over your morning coffee.You'd need to join the DDSAA - a whole $50/year, from memory - and be prepared to go up there sometimes to help out with airfield maintenance.

Seriously - the whole ambience at Clifton is wonderful. I know Warwick well, and Clifton and surrounding area - great place to fly, just for the damn fun of it. Tootling along at maybe 700 AGL through the surrounding ranges, shooting the gaps anywhere down to Gatton or up to nearly Toowoomba - a tonic for the jaded soul.

It's sad to see a long-time aviator ground down by an unfeeling Council, and the costs involved. I seriously recommend that - before you fire-sale your much-loved aircraft - at least organise with Trevor Bange to go on a flight around the area with him, and discuss the costs of re-locating to Clifton.

Might have to think about it. I used to live at Karalee and had the aeroplane at Coominya, a 45minute drive. I moved to Warwick specifically to be close, 10minutes,from the airfield.

In 2016 council charged $105 for an annual landing fee. This year they charged $250. Can't wait to see next years bill...

I’ll have to check whether they have an annual fee. Whilst I still don’t like it, at least I could afford to still fly every day!

is it more than $11 in petrol to get to Clifton?this is why councils sell off airports in regional areas, residents don't want to pay for the use of them.

You might be slightly missing my point or maybe I’m just old enough to remember when things were different. The idea of paying rates, both domestic and hangar was to pay for Council services and facilities, but now it only seems to pay their over-inflated salaries and everything else, we have to pay for. Give them their due, it is not just local government that do that. Registration fees, or as it is called in the UK, Road Fund Tax, was introduced to pay for new roads, but nowadays goes into consolidated revenue and we have to pay tolls on new roads.

It’s funny, I get all despondent and fed up with everything to do with flying and then I have a flight like this morning’s one, just after first light and I remember why I love it!

I'm on the other side of the divide Derek - long evenings like we're getting here at the moment, I look wistfully at the sky and wish my 701 was finished. Don't give up over the costs - yes I know they mount up, but at the end of the day you can't take it with you, and you're living the dream, which not many people get to do.

• Like 1