Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Hi Geoff how is it going your way? I had the pleasure of our l2 for breakfast then went over the 701 he give me some home work, all starting to fall into place now just need heaps of time what fuel pump have you got in your 701? i will put the same pump they run in the jabs. Going to help put the new motor in the Tyro this weekend Cheers Phil

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Phil everything is going well, l have just finished the putting the horizontal stabilizer all back together reinforce the attachment points also put some bolts at the rear hinge attachment also ,l have install the VGs to the elevator so all the wings ,ailerons,tail plane are ready for painting , l am repairing my slats at the moment ,then l will get back to the fuse,l just missed out on the wheels and brakes that were for sale here on the forum so l will have to go ahead with my original plan and put the blackmax brakes on .

Still waiting for my pistons from German to finish the rebuild on my 912 got everything else l need the pistons l got were 15 grams different weights so not matching pairs the ones that are coming have been checked.

What home work do you have to do for your 701.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff your mods look great would take me a lot of work to do that got the engine mount on today but seems to high starter motor is higher than the fire wall will ring jab tomorrow have alook at the picks Cheers Phil

107937107_Philspics251112004.jpg.db8ef343b00e1132c96312bad1fbc4e5.jpg

1293942257_Philspics251112005.jpg.ab95eeaf999077d86e8c391291cc6618.jpg

1873750018_plane007.jpg.32e17fc17fac44869134d3eaae71cd28.jpg

Hi Phil

Your engine mount looks very high does much of the engine sit up past it. .What holds the rubber to the fuse on your windscreen.

l didn't get a pic of inside the horizontal stabilizer after l had made the doubles for the attachments to the fuse, l finished riveting all back together then l realized l hadn't take them.

The other mods l have done l still have to smooth off all the edges get rid of any file marks then l will start painting l have been trying to start the painting then l change something else l have tried to get all the updates done then l find parts that are worn so l replace them list goes on and on .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff yes i think its to high comparing to the jab usa site its about 2 inches high going to ring jab today see what they say,Will rivet a strip around the base to hold rubber down. keep your head down you will have a strong little plane when you finish Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

How did you go with talking to Jab about you mount.

l am half way through the engine rebuild because its an old case l had to make a plate up to cover the hole for the different gear box,l put a gear box with slipper clutch but the shaft length is shorter and didn't touch the seal with out it l wouldn't get oil pressure .

Heading off to Torradin fly in and open day in the morning hope the weather stays good.

cheers Geoff.

HI Geoff posted the mount back today, emailed some picks to Jab they agreed something not wright.Wanted to come down your way but did not work out taking my mum and family to open garden in Kyneton BUGGER you have fun at the flyin, gosh the RAA is in a big mess cheers Phil

What a mess its going to be awhile before it gets back to some sort of normality l hope its fixed by the time my 701 is finished so l can get the rego sorted out other wise it will be back to the eights .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Phil

Fly in was very quite hardly any aircraft it was mostly local joy flights in Tiger moth and acrobatics in Matt halls and Nanchang aircraft it was good day .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Phil

l am putting a Ecco diaphragm pump next to the header tank in the rear l am trying to get some weight behind the C of G because it will be nose heavy .,

Depends on what are you covering .

cheers Geoff.

HI Geoff had alook at mates sav on the weekend his pump is on the fire wall my had 2 near the header tank but i have pulled them out going to just have one , still thinking about building a single seat after 701 is flying just wondering how hard it is to use fabric Cheers Phil.

Hi Geoff how is your 701 going ready to put some fuel in it yet. I have been cutting 30 mil cover strips to hold my windscreen rubber down lot of triming to get them to fit and watcthing youtube videos on low flying super cubs Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

l got all the paint yesterday to start painting on Saturday its going to off white with home bush red elevators and slats all two pack,l have been moving everything around in my shed so l can make a spray booth, l got my Easy riser down from the roof so l don't get over spray on it and found a rats nest inside the wing another job.

My barrels and pistons came today so l can rebuild my spare motor for my Drifter.

what are you doing about you engine mount.

cheers Geoff.

• Like 1

HI Geoff its on its way back to the jab factory they are going to fix it or build a new one.My plane is painted Ford Gost Gum with red slats and side stripes did not like the colour until i saw a cessna 140 in Nelson the other day.The spare motor you have for your drifter is it a503? I am coming down your way Sunday going diving and camping at Sandy Point hope the weather is alright Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

The spare motor is a 503 l bought it off a guy on this site that said it had done 200hrs was great condition when l got it home l pull it down to check everything and found it had one piston had grabbed wrecked the piston and barrel .say no more.

You have good weather this weekend for diving ,l will be get high on paint fume this weekend then l can start assembly then it should start to look like an aircraft.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Phil

Started painting today didn't get chance on the weekend went to Yarram and went for a fly in a light wing was good l was hoping to go in the savannah buy the cfi was booked out.

How did you go diving get anything .

Here are a couple of pics of the slats and ailerons l will give them a second coat.

PIC_0350.JPG.4b3ab4521b81ed37d113a2f663422422.JPG

PIC_0355.JPG.62f7de865b0147834380e1b24abefe72.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Geoff just got home no diving but got a feed of fish and venison weather was not the best, your slats look great was disapointed i did not catch up when down your way next time. im off to bed been up since 3am Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

When your next to your 701 could check what size your rear wing mount on the fuse is mine is 90 thou the old one the new plans show 125 thou.so l am going to replace it l need to find some 6061 T6 125 aluminum.

Painted the horizontal stab today plus the top part of the fuse that joins the stab.

cheers Geoff.

PIC_0421.JPG.09bcf7ded22d8c7120674c4bc52dca75.JPG

PIC_0386.JPG.c1956c54f4a1831fabd5a359e4988897.JPG

PIC_0388.JPG.39db73eef355d84e46280973e429729c.JPG

PIC_0414.JPG.3f9799493cd3b420f4dac4a0f3e10bed.JPG

PIC_0418.JPG.43096c65a9a9f390bfc3c014cad2409d.JPG

Hi Geoff had a good chat to Tom last night he has wealth of building knowledge.The l2 that has my jab mtor rang yesterday and offerd to buy the jab, mite take him up on the edea am convinced that the only way to go is Rotax Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

Will you go two or four stroke .

l have removed the rear wing mounts from the fuse and l am replacing them with 5083 200 thou aluminum plate bit of an over kill but better than the 90 thou that was there it was for the 503, with the 912 they had to upgraded it ,it ties in all that top frame area so they do a lot more than just hold the wing that whole area is in compression when in flight.

Its the same aluminum l used for the for the nose leg attachment.

cheers Geoff.