Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Hi Geoff like the 618 from Tom sounds like it has plenty of grunt and low fuel burn on cruise, see what price he comes up with . can you remember on ebay a while back the 2stroke engine mount for sav 701 did you keep the contact buy any chance, or just keep an eye out for silver or blue head 582 and gear box . buy the time you finish doing all your strengthing on your 701 you will be able to swing a 180hp engine on the front better safe than sorry .When you get a chance can you send some picks of the rear wing mount was it hard to change over ?Cheers Phil

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PIC_0423.JPG.8544b9e84bc203b63fb793b5668de38b.JPG

Hi Phil

l dont have that contact anymore but will keep an eye out for one.

Where does your rear wing mount touch the wing inside or out of the mount.

l made the new rear wing mounts today l have some pics of them sitting in place.

l have found an other fault with this 701 one wing between the mounts on the wing is 700mm the other one is 690 mm so the 10mm difference is a lot when l put my new mounts on l measured the fuse and couldn't work out why there was a difference between each side as l made them exactly the same as what l took off didn't realize that it was already wrong .

cheers Geoff.

[ATTACH]19991[/ATTACH][ATTACH]19992[/ATTACH][ATTACH]19992[/ATTACH]

PIC_0426.JPG.dbc3d440dab1f6855c1e2e051593859f.JPG

PIC_0429.JPG.6dabfa7a6aad7a6e56550c284b00bba8.JPG

Hi Phil

The plans say to put the wing rear mount on the inside but this 701 was made with it on the outside.

The 5083 l am using has a shear strength of 27600 psi .

You should use the 125 thou and change yours .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Phil

Have rebuilt many two stroke and four stroke engines over the years its not hard just follow the specifications exactly when rebuilding ,one of the most important things make sure everything is spotlessly clean slightest bit of grime will destroy your work .

l finished the rear wing mounts they are all bolted on ready for painting ,l also put the Z bracing in between them it has really stiffen up that weak area.

Have you got a price on the engine set up from Tom.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff

Tom wanted a few weeks to think about it so will give him a ring in the new year.Had a chat to the fella from stol speed great to talk to he has done his research, he said you only gain about 8 feet shorter take off with slats and lose a lot in speed and fuel burn, what i think i would like to change is my stabilizer to the same as the sav, he said you need to keep the power on all the way to the flare with the 701 stabilizer but will make those changes later . Any chance of photo of the z bracing Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

l have started building the roof l have changed my mine and l am put aluminum one on instead of the lexan l going to put a small window in the center for some visibility .

Later on once it is finished and flying l will change a few things do some testing with and with out slats and VGs l will make a beany mod and fill in the gap between the wings ,and l might also change the horizontal stabilizer .

But first l want to get it close to the original plans as l can to see how it flys.

cheers Geoff.

PIC_0439.JPG.e4b8696289dd33881388b6335a6f9724.JPG

PIC_0443.JPG.f657a9ae8a14818d9c440fecfa24876b.JPG

PIC_0459.JPG.eedb382b9134d3569fc1d0b3fcb93d1a.JPG

PIC_0457.JPG.dad3907c236d5e74c467c3d8ff0554ff.JPG

PIC_0451.JPG.307729562eead9631e654c7f04d9e7f9.JPG

PIC_0453.JPG.87abb22d805ae616ae8d3a0b7f01aa19.JPG

HI Geoff

That is one strong looking rear wing mount hang a cessna wing off that,Im with you will get mine in the air then make little changes i like your edea of putting the aluminum in the roof with a small window, your pics are handy for me thanks Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

Yes there are upgrade to the wing the wing attachment has gone from 125 thou to 1875 thou.

7v2-6 was 25 thou to 32 thou

7v3-2 has a doubler which is 32 thou.

Cheers Geoff.

Hi Phil

Finished the roof off last night with the roof riveted in place plus the z brace it is so strong there now didnt put the small window in yet may be later ,l can now paint all of the fus .

l am going to re skin the doors and try and bubble them out a bit.

l gave the drifter a pressure wash today it was cover in dust kick up by all the tractors in the orchard looks new again .

soon as the runway is cut l will be airborne the neighbor wants to cut it for hay so l have been waiting patiently,

other wise l would of slashed it myself.

cheers Geoff.

PIC_0460.JPG.1d9bff2afe6a75277f51b956c7c5e618.JPG

PIC_0465.JPG.9ae3198a9f2c6d658c5cc806bcb5aa0b.JPG

PIC_0466.JPG.e98268d3bc9f8df1f14a041c7b6ae657.JPG

PIC_0463.JPG.1b7edb7e1bb6486930f016e28e5d2ee0.JPG

Its coming along slowly doesn't look real pretty dings a bumps all over the aluminum that's what you get trying to rebuild an old aluminum aircraft but it will be structurally sound that's the most important thing the paint will hide the ugly bits.

Enjoy your flight, lucky bugger.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff

Dont worry about the looks 701's are made for bush flying not hanging around in hangers looking shiney and new.Three quik circuits love it, will be geat to walk out the back door and go for a fly one day.cheers Phil

Hi Geoff

Had a big day on the plane today both rear wing attachments are done and a new roof just have to prep and paint the roof .What do you do to prep the new metal? i just rub with scotch brite and wipe with prepsole then etch prime cheers Phil

Hi Phil

Put some thinners on a scotch brite give it a good clean scuff it up a bit just before you are going to paint it wipe it down with some prep sole then etch prime it don't etch prime unless you are going to top coat it with in two hours if you do that you will get a better bond between paints.

l did the doors today new skins they are ready to paint ,just got to buy the lexan for the screen and doors,roofs all done.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff

How is your head going? I can not remember the name of the fella that does the servicing on rotaxs in Queensland would u have his number, mite give him a ring ask if he rembers servicing the 582 on ebay.ICheers Phil

Hi Phil

Happy New Year.....

Yes sore head to old for it now.

Ring Richard Eacott Ph 0754632476.

Had to re route the fuel line in the wings it clashed with the fus tube near the rear wing attachment .

cheer Geoff