Cheap navigation - Mio Moov and OziExplorerCE

Hi Ross,If you don't mind can you please set it up on a card and post it (with your bill)

many thanks, Colin

PM sent Colin.

You'd better get in quick and buy any maps you need while Maptrax has any left.

I'll buy Ozi for you and set it up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made a terrian map from google earth* (Calibrated correctly < 1m) and am slowly adding the WAC and VNC details that are required. (just over 1.5 gb - 4500 map tiles and all of oz from zoom 5 to zoom 12. If you send me a PM I will burn you a SD image onto a DVD ROM. (1700 strips and all CTA, Danger and Prohibated areas loaded - current as of last ERSA).

I will have the elevation data loaded in the next week or so.

Using a cheap 7" ebay special with NoniGPSplot. Crap in the direct sun but suitable for lap work.

Gibbo

* Allowed under the licence as not for profit.

Holy crap gibbo, thats a lot of data. nice work and thanks for the offer. If I get stuck with my playing around I'll send you a PM.

I'm currently playing with maps downloaded from geoscience australia, which I think will be good enough for my purposes for a while (given that we have to carry the charts as well anyway). Can I ask where you got the WAC and VNC overlays? I would like to incorporate them at some point.

Gibbo, your going to have a lot of friends very shortly. I'd be very interested in a copy when you've completed the data. I'll send you a PM.

Me too 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

I was trying to do the same with GE with a 9 inch eeepc very good screen brightness with a tweak, but had a lot of problems with the tiles/ overlays >>> not enough knowlege.

Gibbo do you need people to test this PLEASE? torrent

Thanks

This is starting to sound like it's a very wanted project. :)

My Navigation planning setup is;

1. Flight plan completed using Kwiknav (freeware). I do want to add the google terrian relief.

2. Route loaded into google earth using a blend of CTA and similar (3d shapes) and all ERSA data (radio etc) loaded into a .gpx waypoint file.

3. Fly the route with a 3d perpective (sp???)

4. If all good loaded into my el cheapo GPS and the route taken is then loaded onto my PC at the end of the trip. This may form the basis of performance anaylis when combined with data history from the EFIS. (another project to be started sometime - Engine REV's - Climbrate - throttle positon based on wire position sensor etc and full nav etc on win7 netbook using serial interface from the EFIS)

GPS is currently loaded with Google earth Terrian tiles level 5-12. KwikNAV GPS waypoints with ERSA data (edited from another kml file) running 'donation ver' noniGPSplot v2.80. Map created using NonimapView. Needed to download the two missing .dll files but avialable on website and just need to be copied to the SD card. (these .dll files are handy as I am now able to run some of the Windows Mobile 5.0 programs on the GPS)

I am currently downloading the tiles to level 14 for 10NM around all for all the ERSA listings. Nonimapview automatically calibrates the map tiles (tiles need to be moved about 68m). I do wish to somehow add a image of the airstrips to the level 14 tiles. Maybe able to use the ERSA layouts or overlay google sat image for that tile (?? PDF import onto tile using photoshop but do have kml drawings for most strips already) This may take a while! Each initial map read (on configuration) takes about 12 hours but no noticable slowdown while working on a day to day basis.

I am planning to stich the tiles back together so I can overlay the CTA zones onto the actual map. The CTA KML file I have has them drawn as polygons and I have been having hell trying to figure out how to print them onto the maps without spending anything on software. I think Ozi can do it but don't want to spend the bucks.. If anyone has a .shp file for the CTA etc zones can you please let me know?

I will create a Torrent in about a weeks time when I have completed the next set of modifications.

You will need to make a $14 donation to NoniGps via paypal to get the navigation side of the program working (needed). Great little program with heaps of handy features hidden away.

Just for the record. This data is being used for education purposes only.. I am happy to share this data as part of an educational exercise in creating a GPS map set. There are creative commons copyright claims to some of the data. All maps will remain the copyright of Google.

I've been playing with maps downloaded from Geoscience Australia: MapConnect (.ecw files) OziExplorer has no problems using these maps and I've got them up and running on a Mio Moov A430 (I'd suggest buying a gps that has a SD card slot - it makes all the installation much easier.).

Its a free service and the maps are issued under the creative common's licensing.

The main downside is that it doesn't have all the aviation overlays (can show airstrips etc). I'm not overly concerned about that as we have to carry the paper charts anyway.

The other downside is the scale is 1:250 000, as opposed to the 1:500 000 the VNC charts are. Not really a huge problem, as if you can use im2ozf to convert the images to the OziExplorer image format and zoom out 50% at the same time.

I can provide my session file (has a bunch of overlay options I think might be useful turned on) if anybody wants to save themselves a couple of minutes. The maps are probably a tad on the busy side, but certainly usable.

I've also .ecw files downloaded for most of sth eastern nsw and eastern victoria (basically sydney to just north of melbourne, plus inland a fair way), which I'm happy to upload somewhere if people are interested.

Sounds great Gibbo thanks for the heads up Kwiknav looks good.

Had tried Noni before but Ozi has more features and a screen designer for CE

this one is done with the free screen designer

YouTube - streamRBK's Channel

And just released ozidynon

The Noni PC app, down-loader is the best I have seen

Australia airspace overlay load it into Google earth

lloydbailey.net

choose Australia and then click on the writing in the center of Australia and now a pop up with the download australia.kmz 573KB >>> open it in Google Earth

other formats

Worldwide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange: Airspace for Australia sua ant txt

Anyone buying gps ? had tried a 7 inch before but resolution and brightness was poor

3 1/2 inch is too small using a touch screen, have a 5 inch ce which is bright and the non touch 9 inch xp eeepc is also bright

• 4 months later...

Hi Folks,

Interesting posts.

I have been experimenting with the KwikNav and find it not a bad precursor to drawing it out on the charts.

Has anybody tried to and had success in upgrading the airspace data to something a bit more recent?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

a general approach

It's been so long since I last looked in this thread that I can't remember if this point has already been made but here goes ......

If you buy one of the many no-name Chinese car GPS's they all (that I have seen) have a facility in the "Settings" section to specify the "Navigation path", so you put all the OziCE stuff on an SD card then just point the system at it. When you select "GPS" off the device menu up comes OziCE. Changing it back to car use is just as simple.

No "unlocking" necessary.

IB

• 5 weeks later...

Help

I have just received a 5" GPS with Windows CE able to be opened. I have also bought Ozexplorer PC and CE versions which I have loaded and also a VNC map from Maptrax . However I can't seem to get the GPS to comunicate with any of the OzeExplorer programmes.

I can connect the GPS and see it in Mycomputer and am able to move files around but that is all

Can anybody advise me where I am going wrong

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken

Two things you need to know is the Port and the Baud rate>>>>>> the port is the important one you can either tell ozi your port or get it to search.

I do not have my unit here so play with it.

One previso is only one device can use lets same port at the same time, Two ways around do not let the first navigation device start, and the second is a program that redirect the port

do you have a start screen like this

tell us what unit you have , web address etc it will be easier

oh and a screen shot

Bye

I have tried searching for ports on windows Device manager but cant find them listed.

When in Osiexplorer and in configure I cant find any ports other than COM3 and it says that it is already being used and when looking for a GPS the programme cant find one

Cheers

Ken

Thanks Dexter

Yes I do have it on my SD Card.

I havde the GPS connected via USB and not the serial port do you think this may have something to do with it? If so I may need a different lead.

Cheers

Kenr

Yes Slarti

that is what I am trying to do. I have loaded one VNC directly on to the SD Card just to make sure all is ok before buying more charts and that part seems OK although I am having a little trouble with little touch screen keyboard trying to input waypoints

However OZI PC wont talk to the GPS and also the the screen designer cant find the GPS

Cheers

Ken

Unless you plan on taking your PC with you, neither PC program needs the GPS.

You can do everything without it.

Perhaps you are talking about accessing the file system on the GPS, and not the satellite finding where-the-hell-am-I hardware?

I find the easiest way is to take the SD card out and plug it into a card reader attached to your PC via USB. You just copy the files to where they need to go that way.

If you don't have a card reader, you can pick one up for $15 at the computer markets or eBay.

Thanks again Slarti it works a treat I can stick the SD card into my PC and download the Waypoints ect straight on to it.

I have tried the unit in my car and it works fine and as soon as it stops raining here in SE Qld I will try it in my Savy .

When I get round to loading a full compliment of WACs into my GPS I understand that the overlaps will take care of themselves is this correct ?

I have found it heaps easier to load waypoints using my PC rather than fiddling around with a stylus to get the bulk of them in to the GPS and later I can add extra ones by Stylus when needed

Once again Thanks

Cheers

Ken

SE Qld ALA waypoints

Ken,

I've attached a set of south east Queensland airports and ALAs. These can be loaded into the PC AND the GPS. I use this to generate a track on the PC, which I then load onto the GPS. This may make life a little easier than plugging them in by hand. (Unzip the file first). They work well on mine, but be sure to check that they overlap your map correctly.

Cheers

Gerry

ala_QLD.zip

ala_QLD.zip

ala_QLD.zip

Ken

Is your Ozi/tomtom on the sd>>>>Yes?

Back up your sd and use a card reader

The menu program is on the sd card >>>Yes?

On the main screen do you have a settings icon >>>> click through and there is a good chance you will find a port setting change it to something else tomtom will stop working but you should be able to use ozi.

like this picture tools >>settings http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/7/4/1/5/1/webimg/400237266_o.jpg

Another way2 If you want to know your port and Baud go into tom-tom settings and you will see it.

Another way 3 You have a sirf gps module this freeware will tell you everything http://w5.nuinternet.com/s660100031/SirfTech.htm

You only need a port splitter if need tom-tom and ozi to run http://www.pocketgear.com/au,en,usd/3014961,product-details,Port-Splitter.html?M2DPId=12231

Just found this front end for others to run multiple programs http://gpsunlock.net/home/

And here is a good idea ask the seller as on there page

WINCE 6.0 easily swich to back stage ...

When I get round to loading a full compliment of WACs into my GPS I understand that the overlaps will take care of themselves is this correct ?

Yep. Also, the default behaviour is to constantly look for a higher resolution map, so if you have a VTC or VNC it will load as you get into range.

You're welcome.