Cheap navigation - Mio Moov and OziExplorerCE

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew,

I bought it from one of my colleagues for $250. This includes 16GB SD, leather cover and usb-hdmi cable.

The touch feeling (capacitive multi touch) is astonishing, and so far impressed with the quality and performance of the unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Android Androzic, which is a simple OziExplorer client. - Uses OziExplorer maps - currently using maps from MapTrax, converted into OziExplorer v2 (it cant read V3 maps, which are apparently encrypted.

On another subject - I'm wanting to install miopocket on the flash ram on my device and remove the OEM software. I never intend to use the installed operating system and want to run oziexplorer only. Has anyone done this? I have ozi installed with miopocket lite and it works OK but the installed software sometimes takes over when I don't want it to - very annoying.

On another subject - I'm wanting to install miopocket on the flash ram on my device and remove the OEM software. I never intend to use the installed operating system and want to run oziexplorer only. Has anyone done this? I have ozi installed with miopocket lite and it works OK but the installed software sometimes takes over when I don't want it to - very annoying.

G'day Thirsty,

simple answer=Yes..............I have a NavmanMY-50T as a glovebox spare which I have Ozi CE and Igo8 with a few other applications selectable from the front page . Works well with no issues.

not so simple answer= takes toooo long to explain !

I can set it up if want to send the unit up to me at CLARE. PM me if that appeals.:lamo:

• 3 weeks later...
Android Androzic, which is a simple OziExplorer client. - Uses OziExplorer maps - currently using maps from MapTrax, converted into OziExplorer v2 (it cant read V3 maps, which are apparently encrypted.

Tried Androzic on road with some of my maps, works great. Still not decided between Orux maps and Androzic 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Now with the Antiglare screen protector the screen is much better than before.

I also had to build a circuit (using the LM2576 ic) to charge my Archos from car as none of the branded car chargers were rated for 2A, although some of the cheapo states 2.1A for iPad, two of them I bought were making a whinning noise and considerable heat when charging the Archos 70.

I will post some photos on this soon.

cheers,

Optus has reduced their Mytab to$100-7" screen, GPS,wireless,3g,android 2.2,10 hr battery

Best value out there for cheap navigation tool

Before you go jumping for joy and yes it is a good price but remember that it is only a 600mhz processor and a resistive screen so it isn't multi touch...resistive screens work like your old palm pilot so you can't pich screen for zooming etc. But still, for $100 and Optus data card at $30 a month for 1gig (it's data only so no phone incorporated) its a darn good price for many people...haaa, the technology of today is always different tomorrow but then I really like the Samsung Tab...Samsung are very good processors

7" screen, GPS,wireless,3g,android 2.2,10 hr battery

Not exactly sure about the GPS though.

I have a colleague who is having a T-Tab, to me it is useless - lag on touch response, slow processor, etc.

If you are buying a resistive touch tab, I would highly recommend you to have a look at a capacitive touch screen before decide which way to go.

I always have the mantra 'If you can't use it for the purpose you bought, then doesn't matter how cheap it is, it is a waste of money'.

But hey, it's only me....

Cheers,

the mytab will work with any optus reseller's sim voice and data.

So you can make optus phone calls with the MyTab...crikey, pity about the specs and the screen though otherwise I would consider giving my Samsung Galaxy S to the wife and getting one of these...you know you can even get tablets now that have dual boot to either Android or Windows 7...all they need now is to speed up WiFi to an exceptable speed to have a hard disk and DVD burner in the cupboard and we are truly mobile around the house

the mytab is a better proposition than the telstra tablet. the slower processor has one advantage, you get 4 hours running everything, gps wireless, 3g and google sync. upto 10 hours as a web browser. its outrageous you get that sort of performance out of a $100 tablet!

personally I think you are crazy to get involved in the hardware side of things when there is a huge unmet market in the software side.

So you can make optus phone calls with the MyTab...crikey, pity about the specs and the screen though otherwise I would consider giving my Samsung Galaxy S to the wife and getting one of these...you know you can even get tablets now that have dual boot to either Android or Windows 7...all they need now is to speed up WiFi to an exceptable speed to have a hard disk and DVD burner in the cupboard and we are truly mobile around the house

However, having used the mytab with its resistive screen, AND my garmin a50 capacitive screen, I dont find the resistive screen limiting for me, and the way I use it. The WiFi speed is fine, as well. And now that my wife is doing a uni course and dominating the laptop full time, the Mytab is good enough around home for the emailing and browsing as well....

The android app Androzic has moving map display with the Maptrax supplied oziexplorer files (ok, its not as polished as Oziexplorer)

Some people prefer an iPad (I prob would as well if I had a spare $700), but like they say, "horses for courses" - it does exactly what I want, and it is more than fast enough for what I want, and the size is perfect.

Method to my madness FT...Recreational Flying is not the only market...I also have the company Jackaroo Solutions that use to sell hardware and software as well as be-spoke development of software applications...basically Jackaroo Solutions is being resurrected and the software development is also in hand because as you said, the unmet market in software and if those already in the market don't want to be a part of it with us so we don't have to do it then we have to develop our own...Jackaroo Solutions still has clients using our JackarooIT product, a yearly licenced IT Dept management application, and have so for over 10 years (City Councils, Hospital in New York etc) but then came Recreational Flying which took the focus...so Jackaroo Solutions is getting some focus now...in fact I was the first person that was able to integrate a MS Outlook interface into an Access front before MS released a way to do it some 10+ years ago. I told, and showed, an MVP (MS Valued Pro) who then showed it to MS:

(JackarooIT version 2 home screen)

V2Home.png.22e53c26d2ae5a9c5310273312f7e810.png

Ozrunways has said he isn't interested in developing the product for Android and I can see them missing out on the much larger market for Android. People forget that Apple used to lead the PC market 25 yrs ago and now are reduced to 3%, the same thing will happen to the tablet and mp3 player market. Android tablets/phones are starting to swamp Apple

Yes I know, I have phoned them, sent PMs but I don't get a reply so that is why Jackaroo Solutions is getting into it. If you remember we had a fantastic Flash home page and header on this site several years back and the cost to get these things done is so cheap when you outsource like I did to a chap in India who costs petty cash...just make sure your End User Testing is done by yourself and a select few so it is better to put the tender out for an app and get it made, you own the source code and it is portable.

Over the last few months I have been doing a lot of research on the future we are going down, asked opinions in other technology forums etc and everyone has come to the conclusion that unless Apple pull something out of the bag with some revolutionary device like they did with the Ipod then they will start to go down hill...some even suggesting a MS/Apple merger in years to come because Google will have it...Google have been slow in their development simply because they are basically not based on creating and then selling a product...they will sneak up with a whole range of offerings which they have done to date with Gmail, Docs, Apps etc.

In fact last week I finished moving Jackaroo completely to Google...the Jackaroo domain still has a website on our server but all email is handled by Gmail but with the Jackaroo address, online doc management, etc through Google Apps...my phone is now just an extension of the Jackaroo domain...between the family we share contacts, docs, chat etc...in the coming weeks I will transfer everything other then the actual web site of Recreational Flying completely over to Google...this is why I am focusing on Android.

Most families that don't need actual PC computing power will have a 10" tablet PC sitting on their coffee table, the wife will have a small phone for calls and email, the kids will be using the tablet and the husband depending on his work needs will either have again just a small phone or a 7" phone mini tablet.

WiFi was invented here in Australia by CSIRO who several years ago won a copyright legal battle and received around $300 million. They are currently going for the big players for around $1 billion dollars. The problem with WiFi is it isn't fast enough for hard disk disk read/write but once it either gets faster or an alternative method is found, we will see each family have a partitioned (into individual users) hard disk and a DVD writer tucked away in the cupboard somewhere using a WiFi style of connection...the only thing then is the enhancement of WiFi everywhere or the Telcos come up with a more reliable system for data/voice comms...at a reasonable price

These have been the highest scored opinions from techos in other forums where I have asked the question...i have also been told that it is already happening in some cases of business around the world where they are dumping PCs and laptops...all exciting stuff from where I sit

It would be nice to have all the RAA paperwork and books in a digital format, log books backed up online. training flights automatically recorded, real time logging. ah the list goes on