Cheap navigation - Mio Moov and OziExplorerCE

Thanks Ross :clap:and others for all the info , have got my mio running very well with ozo ex its a great programany tips on the quickest way to plan a nav ? is it best to save tracks etc on a map or just save as a route ?

Thanks

Paul:laugh:

Oops - forgot this post.

I find it easiest to plan a route and save that.

You can create data points for stuff like airstrip info, CTAF freq, area freq, LSALT etc.

Save them all with the route info, and Bob's your next destination.

I don't bother with the data points though, because I have that all on the primary non-electronic plan. I just create the route and print out the plan with the headings and distances as an extra bit of info.

Once in the plane, just load the waypoint file (auto for me) and the route file and away you go.

Your results may vary. Not to be combined with any other offer. Contents may settle during shipping. May contain traces of nuts. Please dispose of thoughtfully. Somebody think of the children.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, ross i have just sent you a pm re the waypoint file. just waiting for my VNC and VTC to show up in the inbox. once these are here i can try to install them on the PDA. i have a mac so it is bloody hard to do these things. i got a micro sd of which my e mail attachments save to but i could not copy the files to the card and install as it said this is an invalid pocket pc application ? "mentioned a couple of posts up" so i borrowed my dads laptop "windows" and installed it that way. i only have the trial version at the moment as i want to see if it all works but hey i might just upgrade it next week to a full version... (why not)

how will i go about saving the maps to the oziexplorer ? and also same goes for saving ross's waypoint file ?

can you actually print out little maps as well ? are they scale ?

I AM GOING TO PICK THE BRAINS OUT OF YOU GUY'S OVER THE NEXT WEEK OR SO

Also can anyone help me with my co pilot live6 car mapping software.? i had it on a K-Jam a few years back and went to install it on the HTC Touch but it is having licensing issues,

here is what is wrong.

i copy the contents of the supplied Mini SD to the Micro SD

install it onto the HTC Touch

it asks to accept the licencing agreement (i do)

it asks me to install on device or SD card i select device

it installs

i open the program but it says no license record found and will not open ?

they gave me a new license number but it is still not working ? i need someone to have a close look at it for me, as i have no idea on how to deal with it, although i have a new license number i can not open the program to activate it ?

I have OziExplorer Working

you beauty what a great tool, durning the config i stumbled across a snag, what do we measure in,

nautical miles

nautical miles meters

nautical miles feet

?

i am not sure... i would like to thank Ross who gave me some info and maps to use while mine are being delivered, i will get a full version of the pc version and the Mobile version when $$$ over the next couple of weeks permit.

can i program a flight on the pc then upload it to the mobile device ?

i don't need the co pilot live for the car anymore as the OziExplorer has a map pack for the road

what do we measure in,nautical miles

nautical miles meters

nautical miles feet

I will take a guess and say Nautical Miles for distance and feet for altitude

Hi Ian yep i got the Altitude one but was not sure about the Horizontal one. i never knew there where 3 types of Miles.

I Must say i might invest in a decent GPS oneday, my screen on the HTC Touch measures 1 3/4 inch x 2 1/4 inch of which is cut down to a viewing 1 3/4 inch x 1 inch when the screen is open and operating, but having said that if it is only used for the purpose of getting you out of the proverbial mud then i think it is a great thing to have on my mobile phone.

did i get the waypoint file uploaded you bet i did all 160 odd of them, what a great thing.

I love it,

on the desk top version is it like the AirNav software where you can put the wind in and it will work the lot out for you Etc give you a list of information like travel times between Waypoints ETA's Etc...

If you set it to true in the preferences (as you said in an earlier post), it will show true.

I have set mine to magnetic so the the bearings shown match my compass if there's no drift.

You should use the screen designer to build a better main view than the one you show in the pic. You have a small screen, so find a layout that gives you only the things you really need.

Hi Ross yeah i know but i like all the goodies :big_grin: . You have yours showing Magnetic but what i you have a wind from the west and you are flying north ? not that this will matter for me i will just do a John Howard and "follow the yellow brick road" 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

How quickly do charts expire? I haven't actually started any navigation work yet, and probably won't for a bit (just soloed today)...hehe, perhaps I'm too eager and should wait until I actually start using charts to explore this stuff.

• 1 month later...

Great write up Ross.

For people who have a windows ce gps with the map on the sd card an not wanting to

hack the gps there is away.

No hack method

In my case when I start my gps I can choose 6 functions

Navigation, mp3, read pdf, movie/ picture.

With this software it creates a second menu, so when You click on Navigation a second menu pops up with 3 choices.

1 The original navigation software

2 Oziexplorer

3 Igo8 navigation what you add is your choice

Getting Started

Sd card reader or active sync (sd card reader about $10)

1 Download menu.zip

2 Look for the exe that starts your gps in the SD card

(My case Folder MobileNavigator> MobileNavigator.exe Rename the folder to Navigator

3 Make a new Folder name it MobileNavigator put the files in this folder and rename the

menu.exe to MobileNavigator.exe

5 Open mapcfg.ini with notepad and edit it to suit your programs.

[bUTTON1]

EXEPATH=\Navigator\MobileNavigator.exe

ENABLED=1

CAPTION=laser

[bUTTON2]

EXEPATH=\OziExplorerCE\OziExplorer.exe

ENABLED=1

CAPTION=oz

[bUTTON3]

EXEPATH=\iGO8\iGO.exe

ENABLED=1

CAPTION=igo

FUNCTION=HandCalendar

That`s all Igo/mio/tomtom/route66 all should work just need to rework it.

Back up all your files first if you put this in a new sd card at any time you can whip out this card and replace it with the original no changes to the gps

Bookmark this to check files for viruses this checks about 20 in1

VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan sample

Antivirus Version Last Update Result a-squared4.0.0.932009.02.21-AhnLab-V32009.2.21.02009.02.21-AntiVir7.9.0.872009.02.21-Authentium5.1.0.42009.02.20-Avast4.8.1335.02009.02.20-AVG8.0.0.2372009.02.20-BitDefender7.22009.02.21-CAT-QuickHeal10.002009.02.20-ClamAV0.94.12009.02.21

If some one wants to rewrite the instructions be my guest

Tony

Only can be downloaded 10 times unable to add it here due to size restriction

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Decca

Ross I have been using your thread for personal nav training & research in the electronic sense, & have found it excellent.

Just to let you know the link to the software download in post 1 comes up with a rapidshare easy filehosting page announcing an error: "Due to a violation of our terms of use, the file has been removed from the server."

Where to next?

Thanks, Decca.

Ross I have been using your thread for personal nav training & research in the electronic sense, & have found it excellent.Just to let you know the link to the software download in post 1 comes up with a rapidshare easy filehosting page announcing an error: "Due to a violation of our terms of use, the file has been removed from the server."

Where to next?

Thanks, Decca.

Hi Decca.

Try this site MIO Infinity - MIO DigiWalker Skin Downloads - by Jerry Dabrowski

Specifically, this download should work for the Mio (I dowloaded it and it looks right, but I haven't tried it).

Cheers,

Ross