Cheap navigation - Mio Moov and OziExplorerCE

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - aircraft power is the way to go.

A question for all :-

If we were to provide these devices through Clear Prop with OziExplorer and your choice of maps already loaded and ready to go, still covered by manufacturers warranty and our support for the setup, would there be any takers?

It occurs to me that the procedure for unlocking may be a bit much for the technically challenged, and may lead people to pay thousands more than they need to for GPS navigation. These units provide everything you could need for recreational aviation. You don't need terrain awareness when you can see the terrain 5 kilometres away. Because you are flying by WACs, VNCs and VTCs you have full CTA and restricted zone awareness. What else could you want?

If we could source the devices cheap, get a deal on OziExplorer, and get discounts on maps from MapTrax, we could probably provide the devices ready to go for about $500 - maybe less. I could throw in my waypoint list and main navigation page layout for nix.

Any interest?

Ross

I already picked up a copy of Oziexplorer, the southern MapTrax pack and a Uniden Trax430 last week so it might be hard to justify buying something else soon however a 7inch unit would be of interest depending on cost.

• 3 weeks later...

Maps if anyone would like them...

All,

I purchased VTC13, WAC 3469 and 3470 (Hamilton and Melbourne) and VNC01 in a variety of formats for Ozi Explorer and other apps - .ozfx3, .bsb and .nosGeo.

I am very happy to share if anyone would like them - please PM me.

Very happy with my 5" generic GPS - unlocked and set up with Ozi and car navigation! Thanks Ross for starting this thread - very valuable!

Cheers,

Lee.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you checked the track and bearing info given from the Maptrax charts. There is no Magnetic Variation data on the charts supplied so you can only work in true for track and bearing. This can be fixed by checking the calibration of the map and adding the mag var and then converting the chart on a pc before loading on to your PNA. A bit of work but it still worth it.

D

• 2 months later...
Yep - aircraft power is the way to go.A question for all :-

If we were to provide these devices through Clear Prop with OziExplorer and your choice of maps already loaded and ready to go, still covered by manufacturers warranty and our support for the setup, would there be any takers?

It occurs to me that the procedure for unlocking may be a bit much for the technically challenged, and may lead people to pay thousands more than they need to for GPS navigation. These units provide everything you could need for recreational aviation. You don't need terrain awareness when you can see the terrain 5 kilometres away. Because you are flying by WACs, VNCs and VTCs you have full CTA and restricted zone awareness. What else could you want?

If we could source the devices cheap, get a deal on OziExplorer, and get discounts on maps from MapTrax, we could probably provide the devices ready to go for about $500 - maybe less. I could throw in my waypoint list and main navigation page layout for nix.

Any interest?

Ross

G'day Ross,

Yep I would be very interested in your proposal. Any further developments on this?

Pud

Haven't had any takers Pud.

I'll get one for you though. Would you prefer a 4.3" like mine, or a 5", or a 7" screen?

I find the 4.3" plenty big enough. If you have the space, the 7" might be good for you.

Do you need Bluetooth support? What maps would you like?

:beg:Gday Slarti,

I've done the deed to my Mio & all is great 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif(Good for 4WD navigating too!)

Only question I have is setting the time.

Once the GPS finds it's location the year & date are good but the time is always wrong :scratch head: & I have to manually set it.068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Any clues to get around this?:ne_nau:

Thanks

H

Only question I have is setting the time.

Once the GPS finds it's location the year & date are good but the time is always wrong :scratch head: & I have to manually set it.068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Any clues to get around this?:ne_nau:

Cool Mr H.

Under File -> Configuration -> General Setting, on the "Other" tab, have you got "Auto Set Time" checked?

Also, in the Mio under windows settings (not in Ozi) make sure the time is right and set to the right time zone.

That's all I can think of.

Cool Mr H.Under File -> Configuration -> General Setting, on the "Other" tab, have you got "Auto Set Time" checked?

Also, in the Mio under windows settings (not in Ozi) make sure the time is right and set to the right time zone.

That's all I can think of.

Thanks for the quick reply Ross.

Unfortunately I've done all that 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif but when I switch it off, it loses the plot when switched back on.

No worries, I'll just have to remember to set the time before I open up Oziexplorer.:Disappointed:

Cheers

H

That sounds like a flat CMOS battery or bad hardware. Try getting on to Mio support.

mmmmmaybe... I would have thought such a small device would just utilise the internal battery. :confused: See what I can find out, you could be right, sounds right :cool_shades:

Ta

H