Cheap navigation - Mio Moov and OziExplorerCE

:big_grin: Out of interest I ran the Mio native Navigation & it happily provides correct time once GPS is locked in. 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif(unlike when I go straight to Mio Pocket)

Then I plugged the SD card in & correct time followed through to Mio Pocket system, so started Ozi & all was good.

Still got me baffled though.....034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif .... Seems that Ozi isn't sending correct time to the system?????? Oh well, it's only a minor inconvenience.

H

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't had any takers Pud. I'll get one for you though. Would you prefer a 4.3" like mine, or a 5", or a 7" screen?

I find the 4.3" plenty big enough. If you have the space, the 7" might be good for you.

Do you need Bluetooth support? What maps would you like?

G'day Ross and thanks for your offer,

The main use of the GPS would be for road vehicle use (I live in WA) although I will purchase a Thruster aircraft before the year is out - hence my interest in this thread and others on the subject. I would need WACs, VNCs and road maps of WA at this stage but bluetooth is not a requirement. I would like a big screen (eyes not what they used to be for close work:laugh:) so really as big as would fit in a Thruster - say 5 inch as a minimum. What costs would be involved Ross?

Cheers,

Pud

One like this is probably the go Pud.

High res (800 x 480) 7" screen, road nav comes with it, bluetooth, already unlocked and running Windows CE, and lots of stuff for $280 delivered (to me). Add OziExplorerCE for $40 and some maps for about $50 - about $400 posted to you after I set it up.

You'll probably want the PC version of OziExplorer for planning and creating routes and waypoints - add $130.

Because this one is already unlocked, you can probably do it yourself, although I'm happy to do it for you - that would give me a chance to see how these new ones are.

Let me know.

Interesting. That unit has an AV input, so you could mount a small camera at the top of the tail and pretend you're driving an Airbus 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif (or, more usefully, you could mount it forward facing on the undercarriage to give an enhanced view during climb...)

this[/url] is probably the go Pud.High res (800 x 480) 7" screen, road nav comes with it, bluetooth, already unlocked and running Windows CE, and lots of stuff for $280 delivered (to me). Add OziExplorerCE for $40 and some maps for about $50 - about $400 posted to you after I set it up.

You'll probably want the PC version of OziExplorer for planning and creating routes and waypoints - add $130.

Because this one is already unlocked, you can probably do it yourself, although I'm happy to do it for you - that would give me a chance to see how these new ones are.

Let me know.

It's a 'go' Slarti!! Where to from here?

Pud

• 1 month later...

Hey Ross,

Its got a 4gb SD CARD in it with the gps software on it...

Specifications

CPU: SAMSUNG S3C2443X-40 400MH ROM 128MB ,RAM 64MB

GPS module: High sensitivity SIRF STAR III GPS receiving module

Touch screen: you can operate it by your finger or the stylus provided

Display: 7 Inch High Definition (HD) LCD screen 800*480 pixels

Operating system: WinCE 5.0

SD: SD /MMC socket, MAX SD card up to 4GB (We support 4gb memory card)

FM Transmitter: Play music on the SD card over your car radio system

Video Formats : Support AVI, WMV,ASF,MP4,MPG,DAT,MPEG,3GP

Audio Formats: Support WMA9, MP3 and WAV format

Picture Browse: Support JPG ,GIF,BMP, PNG format

E-book

TXT format

Bluetooth: Built-in bluetooth BC03 module

battery: rechargeable battery 1500mAh

Dimension: 21 mm x 120mmcm x 184mm

AutoLocate: approximately 2 minutes

Update rate: once per second, continuous

GPS accuracy: automatically calculated

Charger: Charging socket :12V DC

Home charger: 110/250,12V/1.5A

Car charger : 12V /1.5A

Languages: English /Chinese and other languages

WIZ (Warick)

I just finished Pud's (haven't had much time lately). It will be shipping tomorrow.You can start by buying OziExplorerCE (only $40) and the maps you want.

Can you post a link to the eBay item so I know what you got?

Cheers,

Ross

I'm getting excited!!!!

Pud

Hi slartibartfast

I also have used the ozi for a long time.

Have you worked how to make the GO_TO Button BIGGER

I find even on a 5" screen it just is too small in an emergency.

I have tried the screen designer but it won`t do.

The idea would be make the fonts larger in the wp list and increase the goto button size.

Any ideas? thanks

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/attachments/navigation/6857d1229240074-cheap-navigation-mio-moov-oziexplorerce-pc141597.jpg

When using Ozi on a high res device, do you know about the "hires.dat" file trick? Create any file (can be empty) in the Ozi directory called hires.dat and it changes to larger fonts to make the windows menus easier to read and press.

G'day Slarti,.......Pauline Hanson,mate?..........[pleez explane]..

G'day Slarti,.......Pauline Hanson,mate?..........[pleez explane]..

This is taken from the Ozi site here and should explain better than I can.

PocketPC PDA's with High Resolution screens (True VGA and greater)

This note is for High Resolution PDA's such as the HP 310/312 or VGA Pocket PC's running in "true VGA" mode where the toolbars and dialogs appear too small. If you put a file called hires.dat in the folder where OziExplorer is installed (the contents of the file do not matter), OziExplorerCE will detect the file when it runs and change the size of its dialogs and other windows to suit devices with high resolution screens. Please note - this does not necessarily apply to Pocket PC's with VGA screens, OziExplorerCE already recognizes these PDA's and automatically adjusts. If you have loaded a utility to change the Pocket PC VGA to "true VGA" then adding the hires.dat file may help. OziExplorerCE cannot fix all the size issues because many are controlled by the operating system. Note the full resolution of the device is still used but dialogs, fonts, symbols etc are doubled in size. When designing new screens in the "Screen Designer" you must use half the resolution of your device as the screens are automatically doubled in size in OziExplorerCE.

Yep - that's the same as Pud's.It should have an SD card in it. If not, get one of them too. It's best to install everything on there.

Mine has a 4 Gb SD in it, my pc does not like it though (or any other 4Gb SD) (HC SD), I have a brand new 2Gb that works in PC and new 7" in GPS . . .

WOW,

What can I say, SLARTI this is fantastic and works a treat - Thanks Mate.

I'm blown away with this great affordable technology and now I have just seen the other thread re "Google Tracking" COOL !!

here[/url] and should explain better than I can.PocketPC PDA's with High Resolution screens (True VGA and greater)

This note is for High Resolution PDA's such as the HP 310/312 or VGA Pocket PC's running in "true VGA" mode where the toolbars and dialogs appear too small. If you put a file called hires.dat in the folder where OziExplorer is installed (the contents of the file do not matter), OziExplorerCE will detect the file when it runs and change the size of its dialogs and other windows to suit devices with high resolution screens. Please note - this does not necessarily apply to Pocket PC's with VGA screens, OziExplorerCE already recognizes these PDA's and automatically adjusts. If you have loaded a utility to change the Pocket PC VGA to "true VGA" then adding the hires.dat file may help.

I dropped the OZIEPLORER files into my new GPS (and told it to look there for its gps software) and it WORKED!!011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

The one that I got from e-bay ....I tried that (hires.dat) and it worked, have not decided if I will keep it though, I just have the demo maps.

I would like to try a real map to decide if I wanna buy the lot?

Do you use the original screen setup's ??

or have you designed your own, the screenshots you showed look fine...

I could not get my PC to read the 4gb (as its HC SD) so i used a 2gb one. I'm not going to store mp3's or videos on it ..

What can I use the blutooth feature for?

Warick . . .

Cosmick - that's what we like to hear. People saving heaps of money and getting great technology in their rec flying.

Warick - I've sent you the Coolangatta VTC (you're in Boonah right?). You can try it out with that - just buy it later if you need it - to keep it legal.

I always stay on my main page - I designed it with everything I need. Pretty close to the one in the first post in this thread.

I did an update of it when setting up Pud's 7" for the new resolution. He hasn't tried it in the air yet, but I'll bet he likes it.

I can send you that too if you want.

Cheers,

Ross