Cheap navigation - Mio Moov and OziExplorerCE

thanks for that slarti, it looks great, i had my first nav solo yesterday that went a little pear shaped but nothing that i couldnt fix, this unit will be a great back up to have when im licensed.

what i was wondering is do you know what amps the batter draws??? i had a look at the website and couldnt see and noticed it only lasts around 2.5 hours, the reason I ask is from electus a supply company they have a multi votage solar panel for charging devices.

cheers

jay

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Jay. I have no idea. I always run mine off the aircraft power. The cradle you see in the latest photo is permanently attached to the panel and I just slide the unit on. The cradle is powered by a cig lighter plug. I put 2 in the dash while building.

If power isn't an option from your plane, there are a number of other ways to carry power. You could get something like this which is a sealed lead acid battery with a cig lighter output. You could plug the Mio in using the car adaptor. It can be charged by 12v car or AC.

I have seen a battery extender somewhere. Just load it up with D cells and they last a lot longer.

You're right. The battery life isn't it's strong point. I don't think many GPS units will last more than a few hours.

The Mio site says the battery capacity is 720 mAh and it lasts 2.5 hours, so that must be a drain of 288mA per hour?

that little device looks pretty cool i might look into it.

im currently using the training schools aircraft and none of them have cigaretted lighters. its something i will have a play around with it when i get it :)

cheers for your help once again slarti.

Are we talking about the screen shot in Ross's pic en route. I tried to find that screen on mine & I don't have it on mine (Navman but brand shouldn't matter).I'd be a happy receiver in that case Ross if you feel inclined.....Thanks

Dexter

Yes Dexter that's a screen I put together using Ozi's screen designer on the PC so I could have everything I need on one screen. The model only matters in as much as the screen size has to be right. If yours is 480 x 272, then this file will work for you. I also have a 320 x 240 version. Let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

hey slarti I received the unit today and it looks fantastic from the little mess around I have had with it.

i thought I would post here instead of pm just in case anyone in the future has the same questions as me even though there probably very simple:

1) when looking at say the perth vtc when i scroll to where I want to go is it just a matter of holding down on that point and selecting track GPS.

2) I want to download oziexplorer, what I was wondering is can I load up the maps that are on the SD card to it or do I have to buy another set?

Thankyou once again for setting up this unit.

Jay

hey slarti I received the unit today and it looks fantastic from the little mess around I have had with it. i thought I would post here instead of pm just in case anyone in the future has the same questions as me even though there probably very simple:

1) when looking at say the perth vtc when i scroll to where I want to go is it just a matter of holding down on that point and selecting track GPS.

2) I want to download oziexplorer, what I was wondering is can I load up the maps that are on the SD card to it or do I have to buy another set?

Thankyou once again for setting up this unit.

Jay

That's good news Jay.

1) - not sure what that does. I would instead select "create waypoint" and give it a name. Then pop up the waypoint list, select it and hit "goto". Before you turn it off next, do a "save waypoints to file" so it's there next time.

When I get back to one of mine I'll give "track GPS" a go, but I think it just turns tracking back on (the map follows your progress).

2) I presume you mean the PC version? Yep, download and install it to your PC, then either connect the device to your PC or take out the SD card and put it in a reader connected to your PC. Then find \OziExplorerCE\Maps on the card and copy the contents to C:\Program Files\OziExplorer\Maps (or wherever you installed Ozi). Then you'll be able to load all your maps in Ozi on the PC for planning, waypoints, routes, etc.

Because I haven't flown your way yet, I have no waypoints in the MainWays.wpt file. On your PC, you could create all the waypoints you think you'll need and save them to that file (or your own). Then transfer the waypoint file to the SD card and they'll appear in the list. It's easier to create them on the PC than on the Mio (the on-screen keyboard is a bit fiddly).

There is another waypoint file on the SD (allWays.wpt I think) which I created out of a list MapTrax included with some maps. It should have the main ones.

You're welcome.

I have 2 more units which I'm planning to take to Natfly ready to go - if nobody wants them before then. Maynard (robinsm) grabbed the 3rd today for his first long trip in the X-Air.

thanks for that bit of info slarti, having wireless i opted to buy ozi on cd and will wait for it to rock up and then have a go at loading up and creating some of my own waypoints and if i get it sorted ill post them somewhere for other users.

cheers for your help once again slarti

Ray, if you don't feel confident with the hacking to get OziExplorerCE running, I can send you an SD card already set up. Just plug it in and turn it on.

That goes for anyone who wants to get their own Mio.

I just did that for forum member HunterJ and it worked straight away.

Too easy.

Ray, if you don't feel confident with the hacking to get OziExplorerCE running, I can send you an SD card already set up. Just plug it in and turn it on.That goes for anyone who wants to get their own Mio.

Too easy.

Thanks for the offer Ross

remember I have been using my Navman already, just moving to a second sat nav unit ( with anti glare screen ) so I can leave a unit in the trike permanently. :thumb_up:

If you wouldn't mind sending me your screen and button overlay, it would save me building one (a not happening gunna project) , and be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the offer Ross remember I have been using my Navman already, just moving to a second sat nav unit ( with anti glare screen ) so I can leave a unit in the trike permanently. :thumb_up:

If you wouldn't mind sending me your screen and button overlay, it would save me building one (a not happening gunna project) , and be appreciated. Thanks

I remembered after posting. Offer open to anyone though.

I'll send the file tonight Ray.

Ray, if you don't feel confident with the hacking to get OziExplorerCE running, I can send you an SD card already set up. Just plug it in and turn it on.That goes for anyone who wants to get their own Mio.

Too easy.

Hi all

I'm one of the 'quiet' observers in the background.

All I can say is these things are gold - trust me, take up guru slarti's SD card offer, you won't regret it.

Cheers

HunterJ

Hey SBFWhat are you charging for the SD card only option?

Cheers

Damo

Hi Damo.

Ozi is $40, the SD card is about $10, plus postage so call it $60 plus whatever maps you want.

Or you can buy your own maps and copy them to the card. I'm not doing this for profit, just helping my brothers-in-flight get a cheap navigation aid that really rocks.

Good to see Hunter is such a happy camper that he came out of lurking. Maybe you'll post a bit more now you know how?

I have only been playing with mine on the ground since getting it last week and ozi explorer yesterday but so far its amazed me. planned routes, set my own waypoints.

its so easy and incredibly simple.

once again thanks slarti.

and anyone else toying with the idea of getting a gps for there plane try these before you try garmin (any model) you will not be dissapointed.

Had mine in the cockpit of the Xair exposed to bright light for 6 hrs (Goulburn to Inverell), I had sunglasses on and had no problems. Flew from Inverell to Armidale today, still no problems. I am converted. Now I have to find out where to get a good dash mount bracket from (?Slarti)

Cheers

Maynard

Hi Maynard. It's so cool you're spreading your wings with a big trip like this. It's a long way in an XAir.

I think the best mount is that one in the box. If you have 2 square inches of flat space, stick it on. If you have to, bolt it on. It has the advantage of having the power in place. You just slide it on to the bracket and it's powered and ready to go.

Otherwise there's stuff like this.