GST on aircraft parts before built

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

G'da fellas, just a question. A mate of mine is building an RV8 and he's had the wings come in, in pieces of course, so what's the go with GST?

Being that the part is requiring assembly does this make any difference in paying GST?

Cheers in advance.

I don't want to give advice so this is general GST topic discussion:

I think you're getting the exemption on unprocessed food mixed up with somethig that is not built. GST is on everything, except things that are in one of the exemption categories (unprocessed food, education etc.) or is input taxed (financial services, residential property, precious metals).

EDIT: Just have a chat to your accountant, they will help you out. I answer hundreds of these queries a year from clients.

Guest basscheffers
including anything imported over $x

And even that has variations. If you get something by mail (including fedex, etc.) or brought in by yourself (e.g.: purchased on holiday) last time I checked it is over $1000.

If you airfreight it in, the limit is only $200!

I almost got caught out by that one, but the customs guy cut me some slack...

So if you get the parts mailed in pieces of less than $1000 at a time, you can avoid GST. :big_grin:

Some other things to be wary of if you bring in a container.

it is suposed to be delivered to you on friday but some unforseen delay it comes on the following Monday after you pay for storage for the Saturday and Sunday plus gst of course.

500 dollar washdown fee because the container became dirty on the outside somewhere between the ship and customs. plus gst of course.

UPS would have to be the worse for small parcel shipments.

Ozzie

I just ordered some tshirts from the US. Quarantine got their hands on them and then the shipping company sent me a bill for $100 to cover quarantine service costs (passing on government charges apparently). I threw a tantrum and ended up not paying but apparently customs are allowed to just pick any parcel out and inspect it then issue a bill for it.

I think you just have to accept that if you buy something, the government wil work out a way to screw you...