Sierra - NZ

johnm

The following is purely in the interest of Tecnam chatter:

Went to Blenheim NZ - Omaka strip - the other day and flew a Tecnam Sierra twice - always wanted to. I have 200 hours on a Bravo so wanted to see the difference. Not much difference really - the main one being the wing is low and the prop is high - this seems to keep the nose wheel firmly on the ground - whereas the Bravo the wing is high and the prop is low - so the nose comes up fast

The Omaka aeroclub had a collapsed nosewheel so they beefed it up - photos attached - but they show 2 plates each side with 3 horizontal 12 ? dia steel members - it is robust construction - the factory made nose wheel assembly on the Tecnams seems a bit light. Mind you, every forum seems to talk about nose wheel assemblies (even the mighty Jabiru) so its a common thing - maybe even a bit of pilot paranoia

Anyway all said and done - I still think a Tecnam is a good plane and worth the 'extra' you have to spend to fly one

From memory the flying rate was $ 120 - $ 150 NZ for the Sierra - in comparison they had some Piper Tomahawks - they where $ 180 / hour

This particular Sierra was solid with power on, but when reducing power there was this marvellous murmuring and grating coming from the front end - this unkown noise was obvious to the instructor that was with me also - I pass no comment but its a reminder that the Rotax / reduction gearbox has a minimum idle rpm to avoid any wear - approx 1500 ? minimum idle - I once have had the minimum idle adjusted to 2000 - but that was to high - the plane did not want to land

While preflighting the Tecnam I heard a shout saying 'can you give us a push' - went there and pushed out a P40 Kittyhawk ? - this one is based at Masterton - Hood aerodrome. I think that day he took 7 passengers for a half hour ride - $ 1300 each ride. I can now say I have pushed a P40 (but have not flown one yet)

IMG_0008.JPG.2a21a0a3843156de0a933ddaac679995.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG.92eb362e3a70478577be03b60073d67e.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG.3dc210e20cd7a425adb925aa82e59fe6.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG.ae852071acfeab8a01a5e35d8353d978.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG.cd479fa257b374e0083bebcc145a5924.JPG