Do you support the RAAus weight change to 760kg?

Do you support the RAAus weight change to 760kg?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the RAAus weight change to 760kg?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Le Rhone 110 HP has cast ALUMINIUM curved individual intake pipes from a collector at the rear of the crankcase. The carburettor feeds through a hollow crankshaft extension to access the rear of the crankcase.

The earlier Gnome et Rhone used the entire crankcase full of fuel/air mixture and ported through each piston using delicate spring loaded flap valves. Because of this feature they often only ran about 4 (FOUR) hours in service between strip downs. If a spring broke the engine backfired as the fuel in the crankcase gets ignited.

Later engines used transfer ports like a 2 stroke and the mixture was kept too rich to burn in the crankcase. Extra air was allowed back through the exhaust valve to get the right mixture for firing. These engines were called "monosoupape". ( single valve) and were much more reliable. They were ALL four strokes, Used Castor oil in a total loss system and it ended up all over the plane, pilot and the tents around the airfield.. Nev

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone supply a compilation of rpm,prop diam and tip speed for design evaluation please. There's probably a formula but I don't have a scientific calculator and doubt that I could remember how to use it if I had it.

This is a bit off subject but interesting all the same.

Can anyone supply a compilation of rpm,prop diam and tip speed for design evaluation please. There's probably a formula but I don't have a scientific calculator and doubt that I could remember how to use it if I had it.This is a bit off subject but interesting all the same.

Hi Doug, go to www.pponk.com

It may help you. Click on propellors, then scroll down the page a bit Then click on "Propellor speed calculator" Its a formular, just type in the informaton.

Dazza,How the hell did you find that site? Great tool.

David

Just let my fingers to the walking lol. I googled "formular for propellor lenght and tip speed".I went through and checked out a couple of web adresses but that one was the best I think

The figures apply to metal props. These run to a higher Mach no than wooden. Reason thin ness of the tip section and more dimensional accuracy with metal props. In the calculations no account is taken of the forward speed of the plane. Bit academic with some aircraft but a point of principle to be noted. Certainly be a factor with a Sea Fury (for example) with a max sea level speed of 386 mph. It's actually the helical path of the tip of the prop that will give you the speed..Nev