Savannah Karl

Savannah S with Viking 130

I don't know if it does make that but it shouldn't be difficult to do it.

150cc bigger engine and substantially heavier (stronger) ?

Plus modern design and engineering from Honda....

I spotted this and I'm wondering how much fuel is in the plane 261lb on the front wheel

image.thumb.png.7418bb7f79af76c9203354a31c9d02a6.png

If that is 945 lb in total we are looking at an empty weight of 429 kg. That is a lot more weight than Karl's 770 lb.

I wonder if that is correct?

Edited by eightyknots

4 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

Thats a zenith cruiser Hank not a savannah

I realise that the CH750 was an enlarged version of the CH701 (which forms the basis of the Savannah). The CH750 has grown in mass considerably!

Edited by eightyknots

29 minutes ago, eightyknots said:

I realise that the CH750 was an enlarged version of the CH701 (which forms the basis of the Savannah). The CH750 has grown in mass considerably!

I have a mate in Canberra building a 750. Have visited a couple of times when over there for work.

The difference in material is striking. The 750 uses heavier ally everywhere. Structural stuff is bigger and there's more of it. Even some rivets are bigger.

Ok I’ve been busy finishing up a couple of things.  I’ll try to get your questions answered.  The cowling is a modified 701 cowling that came with the firewall forward kit from Viking.  I had to do some work on it but I think the end product will work well.  It’s very solid on the airplane now, I just have to the “pretty work” yet.  As far as the weight goes I just added the ELT and a nose wheel spacer (I was unhappy with the prop clearance) and the nose wheel weight is 238.4lbs.  The total weight is 778 even.

Oh boy, that's a heap!

My Classic Savannah weighed 143lbs and flies really well in all ops.

I believe the S model weighs more like 156 with battery in the tail.

So yours is about 80lbs more, and sounds like a real problem....

You'll definitely want to reinforce that alloy front axle. Even with the lighter weight we've found it wise to line drill it and add a 3/8" stainless bolt all the way through. Doesn't add that much strength to it but prevents breaking away those piddly little end bolts, allowing the wheel to swivel and jam and collapse the leg, with bad result for the prop.....

Not sure about the S nosewheel weight ( I will know soon enough) but my XL is 70kg which is 154lb and that is with the battery in the back and long heavier than supplied battery cables

JG is spot on...with that weight on my nosewheel the noseleg was broken off on mine...and its a costly and time consuming repair. I strengthened when I built it so I didnt get the firewall damage just the broken cowl,spinner,prop and noseleg and front floor

Edited by Kyle Communications