Worst article ever written!

Guest drizzt1978

Guest Brett Campany

I tried contacting Lou Robson who wrote the article and she no longer works for that particular media outlet however someone who was still working there did send my email to her and you guessed it, I've had no response.

This is Lou Robson

and these are her old contact details but I have a feeling she may still be working there because her name is still on the website and I might just have been given the "bum steer" to stop emailing or trying to contact here.

Try calling her rather than emailing, it might get further.

Contact Lou Robson:

Phone: (07) 5451 7212

Email: Lou Robson - [email protected]

Oh, I don't know.

I have no problems forwarding emails to journalists who are idiots.

Take my response...

Dear Lou

I have just finished reading your article on Ultralight aircrafts in the Courier Mail back on 6 September, 2008. I have to congratulate you on creating the biggest load of sensationalist garbage I have ever seen written. My understanding of your profession was that it was the intention to provide all sides of a story in an unbiased manner, to provide the public with a clear understanding of the issues involved in the story you're covering. That was obviously a mistake, as your article is nothing but the worst misinformation I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.

You're a disgrace to your profession. I'd suggest resigning as a journalist, and taking up writing fiction, which you're obviously very skilled at.

So, congratulations. I just wouldn't be waiting around for your Walkley Award to show up in the mail anytime soon.

Will she get it? If she's working in the area, quite possibly.

Whats the aternative? Accepting her stupidity, and tolerating her inorance?

At the least, write a formal complaint to the editor in charge.

That, or sit on your behinds and do nothing. That works.

Actually, don't bother replying to that email address. It bounces. Guess even her editors recognise garbage journalism when they see it. Lets hope she's been knocked back to copy boy.

Guest Brett Campany

Hey Rocko, I also tried sending her an email some time ago, it also bounced back so I went to the Courier Mail contact page on their site and forwarded it to the editor and several other contacts asking that it be passed onto her. Maybe if they get a few emails they'll take a bit of notice. I know it was a while ago but it's still up there and the story is still detrimental to recreational flying.

Heon, me thinks that if one takes the time to read something and in doing so finds it so that they wish to comment on that which they have read you can rest assured that there will be others who will read with interest that person's comments. Therefore, one would beg to differ from that of your observation, as they, the interested reader, believe that that which has been addressed is still worth commenting on.

Rick-p

Guest Maj Millard

Be always very much on guard when talking with media people, no matter how 'friendly or interested they may be' . The profession has editors who send people out specifically to find a 'negative' story. Remember bad news sells papers also.

Each club or organization should appoint a 'media person' and they, and only they, should make contact with the media, or for that matter, not make contact with the press, whichever the circumstances may be. Remember, media has no more right to be on private property, than any other member of the public.

I have flown jurnos in the past who have produced very positive, and helpfull articles in the local newspaper, this has been good locally for our sport.

On the other hand, there was an incident in the US in the Eighties, that put the sport at that time, back at least six months, and turned many potential UL pilots off for life.

A reporter was sent out to find the bad side of ULs, and believe me, in the Eighties it wasn't that hard. They even went to Oshkosh that year, looking for prangs. The resulting report, entitled 'FLYING OR DYING ?' aired nationally on prime time TV, right across the US. It couldn't have been made any worse, with actual footage of one low time pilot (a tv news reader can you believe) falling to his demise after breaking a plane he shouldn't have been flying in the first place !. He hadn't latched his seat belt correctly either, by the way, otherwise he probabily would have survived, as the broken machine planted itself in the upper branches of a large tree !!. BEWARE FOLKS the power of the media - they don't always come bearing gifts..........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

find Lou

To a degree I agree with the posts

But, lets not be too hard on Lou, her written words are probably the public perception of flying anyway (pk screws on the tarmac, oil globules under the fueslage, steam and smoke from the engine bay, wing panels rattling, imminent death seconds away, pilot reading handbook as the plane airpockets and tail spins to earth)

If there is any truth in her statement that emails and phone calls were not returned by RAA, then that does not help this public perception - but then I don't know if we can afford or employ a public relations contact at HQ ?

I reckon let's find Lou and take her for a fly - see if she can match her words with the experience we give her - whoever does the 'fly', make sure they do a good job

Wait a minute - I'm forgetting - anyone qualified to take Lou will do a good job - as they achieved and demonstared the required proficiency

But, lets not be too hard on Lou, her written words are probably the public perception of flying anyway

Oh, I dunno. Having dealt with Journo's like this before, they never seem to let the facts stand in the way of a good story. Or even a bad story.

Any pieces of journalism that is negative towards aviation that allows you to comment after is best delt with by explaining the high standards and quality regulation aviation has and all the steps taken to ensure public safety.

It is also wise that in your replys you remain totally free of aggression. As soon as you are aggressive you loose all credibility. Regardless of how right you feel. Play their game and play it smart.

Don't pass the buck on to GA either, the general public can't tell them apart. So don't crap in your own nest. To the uneducated eye Jabiru and Cessna are the same and a rag and tube is an ultralight or what ever.

If you have a real problem with what is being written in a paper or on a news website, offer to write a free article for the paper on some charity work your flying club has done or something positive your flying friends are doing. If you are doing your job as a decent human being then you have respect on your side. If you point out a journalist is writing bad stuff about you that is impeding your charity work, who's side are the public going to take?

Like I said, its all a game. How smart are you at playing?

It's not about playing games, it's about facts and figures. Statistics CLEARLY shown and accurately well prove all. Not playing one agaist the other.

I agree that anger doesn't achieve anything but writting warm and fuzzies won't either. Leave that to the Lions Club.

Never under estimate the power of people in large groups. What we need to do is unite in our feelings and express them in numbers. One angry response won't do anything three thousand will.

So to sum it up we need to move on from this article it is to old to dwell on.

Last night in TV, I saw the news story on the Drifter that went down at Boonah(?) yesterday.

I'm very sorry for the female pilot who was injured, and hope she recovers asap.

However, I have to congratulate her husband on a brilliant interview. He sounded calm, professional and perfectly matter of fact. It made all the difference between yet another "ultralight accident", and just an unfortunate light aircraft incident. I also have to congratulate the station for a good, informative story.

Some quality media can get it right, if they try at all.

So, if you know them, pass on my sympathies, and my condolences. But also my admiration for a professional attitude under extreme circumstances.

Scotty