Drifter Photos please!

Guest driftergirl

Guest driftergirl

A big hello to everyone!

I have only just discovered this site, registered today and this is my first post!

I am anenthusiastplanning to start a website for the Drifter and I'm looking for photos that I can use in the gallery.

Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you can help me withphotosof Drifters or photostakenfromDrifters. Basically anygood qualityphoto that encaptures the joy of owning or flying such a wonderful aircraft.

Thanks DG. driftergirl

Guest Juliette Lima

Hello Belinda and welcome,

There is something special about owning and flying the delightful Drifter, especially in a nice environment.

There are some great shots from Drifters throughout the forums on this site, checkout trips,....photo comp.,...Drifter for sale etc.

Are you associated with or aware of the proposed Drifter manufacturing project in your home town? If so ,when will they be up and running?

There seems to be a big gap in recreational aviation for affordable safe good fun aircraft.

Best of luck with your site.

JL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DrifterGirl, I have literally hundreds of photos of, and from Drifters. I own the Drifter 912 featured in the Drifter forum (which is for sale but I'm in no hurry).

Happy to squirt you some pics. Keep an eye on your email.

Cheers

Gregg

20061105_103502_Rolling.jpg.f9fe574a7ae2af554eaa7bd524da5f0b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fred Bear

Driftergirl, you are more than welcome to use my pics also in the trips section. I am sure I have quite a few on there. Also, you may use the ones off my website.

Keep these aircraft alive. The only A/C that has a better view would be a thing called a BREEZEY, (have I spelled it right?) I reckon they are a real classic in the true sense of the word . (The Drifter I mean) N...

Guest Fred Bear

Ha ha ha. I often look like that in the back of the Drifter in turbulence. When you think about it flying in a Jab or another aircraft versus the Drifter there is only a couple of mm of material between you and the earth below. Very famous words by my great Drifter Driver mate Sunny:)

This may be the Breezy you are thinking of. Designed by Charles Roloff, Carl Unger and bob Liposky in 1965. Powered by a Continental C90.. PA14/18 or J3/4 wings can be used. Plans are still available.

OZ

20061128_071247_Breezy.jpg.6acfec334eb35d810090a7a50b3c4100.jpg

"Famous Words" Ron Wheeler once described these types of designs as.. "Going into a fight, leading with your chin" Ron apparently was a pretty good boxer in his 'prime'. so he should know :big_grin:

Thanks OZZIE. Thats the one! The only one I ever saw was near you, being built by Lance Fletcher, One of the long-term engineers at RNAC at Rutherford,( west maitland) Maybe you know of it? I would imagine that it would present quite a challenge to fly as there is nothing in front of you to get any idea of the aircraft's attitude. Incidently ,not all C-90's will work as pushers, if you want to build one Nev...

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi facthunter,

I wonder if that is the Breezy flying from Lismore Airport...if so, it is based in a hangar oppisite Wayne Fisher's Spectrum Aviation.

The guys from Teckair who do the Natfly DVD's for resale recently released a DVD featuring the Breezy doing a full circuit and some upper air work.....nice viewing.

Perhaps an aerial mounted at the nose end of the aircraft with a peice of wool attached at the top would take care of both attitude and co-ordination....I find it much more accurate than instruments.Glider pilots do the same.

Cheers

JL

Yes it would. You get slip, angle of attack from such a simple source ,but that would be cheating in this instance, wouldn't it? We do need to keep some challenges in life. It would probably have the sideslipping characteristics of a Wright Flyer,as well. I distinctly remember thinking that you would have a unique feeling of the sky around you & no security. I'm not sure if all pilots would cope with it easily I'd like to hear from someone with first-hand experience of flying it,....Thanks JL, Nev...

• 2 weeks later...

It's all a progression, isn't it.

Stepping out of the Mack Truck (C-172) into a Texan, then into a Foxbat, then the Drifter, then Breezy. Next stop paragliding.

As far as instruments go, 6 inches of wool is enough for me. The wind in my face tells me all I need to know about airspeed. The wool tells me about alpha and slip.

Altitude and location I can find by looking down.

Who needs more?

greggf

• 6 months later...

g'day all,

reading all the above posts i was wondering when someone was going to mention paragliding

i had well over 100 flights logged b4 my 'encounter with a mountain' and i have to say i miss being up there with the birds every single day

speaking of birds, i have shared a thermal with a huge wedge-tailed eagle, one of my most memorable flights - flying a paraglider is like relaxing in a reclining armchair in the air, at five thousand feet you feel like you're superman (until you look up and see the canopy)

plan is to do my training then buy a drifter by the end of '07 - have already had a TIF in one and enjoyed every nanosecond - BIG bonus is my home airfield is Boonah, so the scenery is magnificent, just perfect for a drifter

sounds funny, but for me, the drifter is a big step up from what i was flying b4

cheers

bp

• 5 months later...

:hug:Hey Drifter Girl, you still out there?

I have a strut braced drifter with a rear pod that is an instructors delight.

It was fitted by Ausflight before they closed down and has 2500 hours of training time but looks like new. Drifters are great!

B54

Rear Pod Shots

[ATTACH]4658.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4659.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4660.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4661.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4662.vB[/ATTACH]

It was raining and could not get the machine out of the hanger.

Bilby54

716605918_DrifterShots001a.jpg.1719e173d0ce06d27af614072f88bb70.jpg

1429062061_DrifterShots002a.jpg.b15ad94e751677bd0e1cd37911f35be5.jpg

1745454255_DrifterShots004a.jpg.967cc55b91a11d101615a58f3f0c37bc.jpg

1489843021_DrifterShots003a.jpg.b165dd59d1ff0056df068921c21b236a.jpg

1510191942_DrifterShots005a.jpg.ed42b72bc9baf8e50cfaec268cb7b98d.jpg

Guest sceadu52jr

Rear Set Pod

Billby54, What does the pod do for rear seat comfort..how much difference compared to open, what other Pluses /and or Negatives are there? I yours the only one with this pod or were others made by Austflight? Does the performance &/or handling differ from a std SB Drifter.

Regards,

Wayne