Drifter Photos please!

Guest driftergirl

Hi Wayne,

The rear pod definitely improves rear seat comfort in that you don't get as much wind in the face and does help a bit with wind chill in the cooler months - helps, not stops! The appearance change makes the aircraft look more 'solid'.

I find that it helps a lot when doing TIF's as people have less of an 'Oh my god, I'm not getting in that thing' attitude. I like it but it will probably not appeal to a Drifter purist but it is really a progression of the type. It does seem to give a slightly better cruise speed but that maybe my own feelings as a knot or two is very difficult to measure. I understand that there was another one over in WA somewhere.

The only real drawback is a slightly heavier empty weight and perhaps access to the rear seat. Ask john from BUMS about it if he is still at Boonah as he used to maintain it.

Bill

Guest sceadu52jr

Thanks Bill,

I haven't yet tried out (ridden) the back seat in the(a) drifter yet, so I don't know how it compares to the front.

Wayne

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Maj Millard

The first 'Drifter" was a Hummer

Love the Drifter, a fun and honest machine that just flys very well. The Drifter as we know it today got it's 'standard tail' in 1984. I still have the US 'Glider Rider" mag with the artical in it to prove it. The first machine had an upright V tail. no pod, a very narrow solid sort of landing gear,a similar wing to now but with different more stylish wing tips. I really wish they had kept those wingtips as they looked real efficent to me. The early Hummers probabily were powered with either Rotax 227 or 377 although I did see one used to tow hanggliders, that had a 503 in it. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif