Guess the plane

Guest Pioneer200

Guest Sharp End

Back to topic... for now. Claim to fame for the Vimy? Flying bathtub? OK, here's my GUESS... first mile high club jacuzzi party? keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Back off topic... to clarify for Chrisso, I did 1700 hours PIC Tornado including two display seasons in '89 and '90. Below 50 kts unless you had a very strong headwind the reingest audio warning would start blaring and we were not permitted to continue in reverse. Maybe as they got older the rules got relaxed - however, certainly in my time we didn't use reverse below 50 kts - it was tantamount to vandalism.

Nearly all turboprops with variable pitch blades can go into negative pitch beyond feather. I know our dash8 doesn't use it at certain runways, as it'll just throw up a cloud of gravel and dust for the engines to eat, but it is possible.

I've also been told of aircraft using reverse thrust to push back out of a gate in the USA, don't know if I believe it though. I'd hate to be the guy on the headset for that! It's bad enough when they're taxiing away and blow you over. keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Believe it or not I actually did two skydives out of one at the National champs at Holbrook in the early 70s. The guy had been out dusting and he landed about 6am, rolled up and asked " anyone want to jump this ?". Magic words to a skydiver even in our early morning hungover state. Myself and Stu Stubbs did two jumps each, from the small rear compartment, and we couldn't stop laughing the whole way.

The plane then just dissapeared over the horizon, never to be seen again.

It was a red and white one, and I often wonder if it was the one hanging in the Powerhouse mesuem in Sydney.......................................................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest ozzie

One of these landed at Corowa during a skydive meet and the pilot headed over to the terminal. A couple of jumpers walked over to check it out and opened the door and got knocked flat on their backs as 6 sheep came bounding out. The pilot returned from his pit stop and was not too impressed with the chaotic scene of a heap of jumpers chasing the sheep around his aircraft. talk about laugh.

Guest Maj Millard

Was he a Kiwi Ozzie, maybe he had had a rough night with some friends !................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Ozzie, when you get a chance can you PM me with the latest on the Elderslie get-together...I'm hoping to fly down....Maj

Just a quick note re the Vickers Vimmy. On the news yesterday, it's getting moved nearer the new terminal............God knows where there's space, hopefully not into the car park, that's too small already and a bloody awful design as well. It should be inside the terminal if anywhere.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes quite a feat at the time. And it is a very historic aircraft, that deserves the best they can give it. I have the book written after the flight, which is a great read. First they had to pull major strings to even get a Vimy, as it was still a current Flying Corp front-line Bomber.

They lost control several times during the flight in IFR conditions, but managed to pull out just before hitting the ocean. Then one of the engine exhausts started falling off, and they had to get out on the wing, and make the best repairs they could with what they had, which wasn't much. Engines were I believe Rolls Royce Falcons..................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is an ugly one for you although the name is on one image

[ATTACH]10520.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10521.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10522.vB[/ATTACH]

Picture006.thumb.jpg.6a4fb8421134004e20b31a73365c9910.jpg

Picture003.thumb.jpg.6e37203a27b2f02075bbb5e11f57d6d8.jpg

Picture007.thumb.jpg.4123f5c58d57b47c4fc6fafae1cac045.jpg

Looks too bulky to be a Horton - maybe a lighter modern variant? I was thinking it might come from the Silent Glider family - they had a non motorised, no tail, pod like thing that could have wings attached from other companies. Years since I saw it. Might even be unmanned, or the pilot (about my size) got in from underneath. You've got me thinking.....

Sue

The picture in Wikipedia looks pretty close. So I am now putting my money on the Horten flying wing. My husband who would know, and probably tell me the whole history and who flew it and where, and why, and how often, and their mother's maiden name; won't be home until tomorrow and then gone again. Would love to know half of what he does. So the Horten is my final contribution.

Sue

You were all so close...The Horton VI

Here is a Horton IV:

[ATTACH]10575.vB[/ATTACH]

So what about this one:

[ATTACH]10576.vB[/ATTACH]

Horten-IV-Flying-Wing-Glider-in-flight.jpg.bed761c1712b04370072befc77192b1b.jpg

FlyingWing.thumb.jpg.fc5ba378aa640889882a69c6291cdfb6.jpg

Looks like a Jack Northrop creation. Northrop produced a range of flying wings with various power plants, one had 4 jet engines and 2 props?? More trouble with the engines than the design I remember. Way ahead of their time. I couldn't tell you the model numbers. There was a scale model produced for training - the boss would know - but he's not home till tonight so I'll show my ignorance.

Sue

Don't know the name but John tells me it is a post war plane used for the then equivilance to the red bull planes of today???????

Guest Escadrille

Pre the Pitts...

What about this beauty? And for an added bonus,can anyone identify one of its famous pilots?

1296227.thumb.jpg.a024ab129c3cf1da80bababb924402d8.jpg

1775523557_ActiveAirshotRHside.thumb.jpg.8ca32560dae23da84d9eae60f8ade907.jpg