Guess the plane

Guest Pioneer200

Hi JR,

What a wonderful looking bit of aviation history.

It looks to me like the Cessna 190 or 195 Businessliner from the late 1940's or early 1950's.

If this is the one it? it was famous as an oil guzzler. It had a 5 gallon tank for engine lubrication and used to need a minimum of 2 gals before flight, as it gobbled up the oil at a rate of 2 quarts an hour (about 1.9 litres an hour for you young fellah's) A bit like the famous " Connie".

Kind Regards

Planey

Now for an interesting warbird... Prop still turns smoothly against the compression, all instruments in place, machine guns as well! Not bad for sitting outside for a loooong time. (Its now finally inside.)

[ATTACH]12815.vB[/ATTACH]

DSC00287.JPG.9c303589fa9abd8faad14dac7280b206.JPG

Guest JRMobile
Hi JR, What a wonderful looking bit of aviation history.

It looks to me like the Cessna 190 or 195 Businessliner from the late 1940's or early 1950's.

If this is the one it? it was famous as an oil guzzler. It had a 5 gallon tank for engine lubrication and used to need a minimum of 2 gals before flight, as it gobbled up the oil at a rate of 2 quarts an hour (about 1.9 litres an hour for you young fellah's) A bit like the famous " Connie".

Kind Regards

Planey

I was told it was a 195 and that is backed up by Ross's pic. Interesting stats on the oil cosumption - would also be interesting to know the fuel burn.

Cheers

John

Hi JR

The fuel burn on the Cessna 195 was apparently around 16-17 US Gals an hour which produced a true airspeed cruise of 148 knots = 170MPH so it was not only pretty slippery, but also had a very useful payload of 1320lb. There are still a few around in the states, which can be picked up for around $70grand mark, if you can afford to feed the three hundred horses.

As nice as they are, i'd sooner have something more modern, maybe from the RV range, which can have similar performance using a lot less fuel, and no room for the mother-in-law and all her baggage.

Cheers

Alan

Well done Stan. A La-9 at the Romanian Air Force Museum at the entrance to Bucharest Otopeni Airport. I was lucky enough to befriend the Commandant of the museum so I got to crawl through everything they had there. Very interesting!

Yes, the OFMC La-9 was a beautifully restored aircraft. I believe that the La-9 was the pinnacle of Soviet piston engined fighters.

And a few more from the museum...

[ATTACH]12830.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12831.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12832.vB[/ATTACH]

PS The first one is easy, it's written on it...

DSC00292.jpg.ab9ca9678b245a265a9e6ebcd934da21.jpg

DSC00304.JPG.875e0c2fec1c296d14603f75324d056b.JPG

DSC00320.JPG.ce01a19c69086f87853c51e159b77ba4.JPG

OK, to help a little,

The first one is a Romanian homegrown design that was used during the defence of the Ploesti oil refineries against the B24 raiders, the second is a later derivative of a common Russian light bomber (add a zero to the WW2 aircraft designation and you get this one) and the third is a marque of that hairy beast from the cold climates.

Cheers,

Dave

I managed to get to the China Aviation Museum today in Beijing. I was hoping to get some photos of their La9 but the one display building that was closed was the one "Special Aircraft Display". When I peeked through the window, I could see around 10 aircraft with the first being a Spitfire and I think it was the La9 a little further along. Bummer...

Anyway, here are a few more to identify from today's visit (the nose of the first looks familiar but those engines?... and Warbirds over Wanaka goers will probably recognise the second). The second is in an underground hangar/tunnel which is built under a small hill and houses around 100 aircraft. Each end of the tunnel ran out on to a taxiway that went to the runway. Pretty cool!

[ATTACH]12865.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12866.vB[/ATTACH]

P1010713.jpg.63598820d42b6b2e14292f041ffe7b42.jpg

P1010688.jpg.43a94e1236e86044a02fdc727350ab51.jpg

Pic 1 is an IAR-80; pic 2 is an IL-10 (The sign next to it had IL-20 but that is not correct): pic 3 had a sign "Yak 3" next to it but comparing to other Yak 3 pics, that doesn't appear to be it so...?

You may not believe this but I honestly didn't read the previous post saying Foxbat I must have been on a previous page, what a goose! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I will now go and hide.:rolleyes:

Have you not heard of a Foxbat Rick-P??

Yes and that's what I thought it was as I didn't read the later posts just posted FOXBAT? meaning is that corect please don't make it any worse for me I'm embarassed as it is. I should knowbeterto read all.