Guess the plane

Guest Pioneer200

[quote="Head in the clouds, post: 429319,

[ATTACH]29163[/ATTACH][ATTACH]29164[/ATTACH]

Great bit of history, I believe the Typhoons had a very significant role in their few years of service. The four 20mm cannon gave a bit more firepower than a P-51 I thought?

Great bit of history, I believe the Typhoons had a very significant role in their few years of service. The four 20mm cannon gave a bit more firepower than a P-51 I thought?

Hi Bob, yes, you're right but I didn't want to irk the Pony fans ...

It's a bit ironic discovering this stuff at this stage because I'd always had a fascination for the Typhoon and never known the close family link. The part of the story that I misunderstood was that I'd thought Uncle John was transferred from Hurricanes to bombers and that would most likely have been Lancasters because of the Sqn I thought he'd gone to. It was my father's brother that recently explained it was fighter-bombers, not bombers ...

During some of this research I did read a paper by an armourer who described the firepower of the Typhoon when it was fully loaded. It had options, racks that were supposed to be interchangeable for bombs and missiles as well as the 4x 20mm cannon. Most squadrons tended to use either the bombs or the missiles as it turned out but some worked out a way to attach double racks of missiles making 16 in all which resulted in a 39kt speed loss (from 400kts!) so they often only loaded the inner ones double, thereby carrying 12.

Whichever munitions they loaded their total firepower was a little more than a full broadside from a Destroyer apparently. I don't know what size guns a Destroyer of the time mounted but it gives an idea that you wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of it.

One of 193's major successes in ground attack at the time was to collapse and seal both ends of a mountain tunnel while a German munitions train was transiting it ...

The Typhoons were the Mk 1b and when Hawker developed the successor, Mk 2, it was so far evolved that they gave it a new name, the Tempest. Such is the rate of developments during wartime.

Perhaps we need another thread for these kinds of story, this is a bit of a hijack but I'd love to hear of others' family or friends' aviation histories.

• Like 3

Hi Bob, yes, you're right but I didn't want to irk the Pony fans ...It's a bit ironic discovering this stuff at this stage because I'd always had a fascination for the Typhoon and never known the close family link. The part of the story that I misunderstood was that I'd thought Uncle John was transferred from Hurricanes to bombers and that would most likely have been Lancasters because of the Sqn I thought he'd gone to. It was my father's brother that recently explained it was fighter-bombers, not bombers ...

During some of this research I did read a paper by an armourer who described the firepower of the Typhoon when it was fully loaded. It had options, racks that were supposed to be interchangeable for bombs and missiles as well as the 4x 20mm cannon. Most squadrons tended to use either the bombs or the missiles as it turned out but some worked out a way to attach double racks of missiles making 16 in all which resulted in a 39kt speed loss (from 400kts!) so they often only loaded the inner ones double, thereby carrying 12.

Whichever munitions they loaded their total firepower was a little more than a full broadside from a Destroyer apparently. I don't know what size guns a Destroyer of the time mounted but it gives an idea that you wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of it.

One of 193's major successes in ground attack at the time was to collapse and seal both ends of a mountain tunnel while a German munitions train was transiting it ...

The Typhoons were the Mk 1b and when Hawker developed the successor, Mk 2, it was so far evolved that they gave it a new name, the Tempest. Such is the rate of developments during wartime.

Perhaps we need another thread for these kinds of story, this is a bit of a hijack but I'd love to hear of others' family or friends' aviation histories.

i believe the Tiffy was also the first ground-attack aircraft to be used as tactical artillery; they flew a stacked orbit in the invasion (counter-invasion) of europe, and were directed onto specific german tanks... to the discomfort of the tank crews... not sure where, I don't have those histories to hand!

• Informative 1

Hint: Purpose built to provide a stable platform.

Clearly not a LeDuc... it's a twin-boom pusher from memory, built between the wars, I think they made 4, only one found work, can't recall the name. More streamlined than a Waitomo Airtruk, but not much more attractive...

• 8 months later...