Guess the plane

Guest Pioneer200

P.V.7 Grain Kitten. British WW1 Airship Interceptor?

Yep. I'll find one without any regn or serial next time ;-)

Delightful looking little plane ... and built less than 2 miles from where I flew from in the UK.

• 1 month later...
Geez, mate that's easy peasy !. . .anyone can see that it's obviously a Rockwell Commander 114, . . .you can clearly see that the shadow of the tailplaney bit is less dense that the rest of the picture, which of course means that, since the shadow will be a mirror image, then it is further away from the map than the rest of the airframe, and since the 114 has a cruciform set horizontal stabilizer, this means it's halfway up the fin, and therefore slightly further away from the viewer in it's inverted image than the rest of the shadow ! ! ! now come on, none of this namby pamby stuff. . . give us a DIFFICULT ONE ! ! !

Phil

Obviously Australian and in the 1970s. I'm thinking that it was designed and built by a bloke from Melbourne who had an Italian name. He was killed when this thing crashed. There was a thread here on this plane a few years ago. I think his son, who is now an adult was looking to revive it.

Obviously Australian and in the 1970s. I'm thinking that it was designed and built by a bloke from Melbourne who had an Italian name. He was killed when this thing crashed. There was a thread here on this plane a few years ago. I think his son, who is now an adult was looking to revive it.

Not my understanding of the planes history ... designer died but not in this aircraft - and given I included a picture of a holden ute from the 70's I'll admit Australian ;-P And you do have the right plane - Melbourne, German born designer...

I'm sure I've seen this aircraft in a museum - may have been Drage Airworld in Wangaratta (now closed). Can't remember its real name but I believe there was a reference to "flying dunny seat"...

You are thinking of Charles Ligeti, and the Ligeti Stratus, which was a joined wing design. Google it.

No, I'm definitely thinking of the ring shaped one. It would have been in the 90's I saw it, I remember stopping in at the Wangaratta museum on a motorbike ride to QLD. Got a photo somewhere but it's the old fashioned film variety and not on my computer.

Well at least this one has lasted longer than 10 minutes before it was solved.

Charles Litgeti - no - not of German origin - designer of this one was of German origin

Yes, The design was referred to as the "flying dunny seat"

Yes, it was in Drage Airworld in Wang

Ok so the flying dunny seat is not getting the correct answer ... It's been a week so here is another Australian plane to identify ... plans still available

mysteryplane3.jpg.67f8ad1296e3933e67703c81a7a91353.jpg

Yep, very neat - fully flying tailplane with antiservo tab with trim - beats the Sapphire tailplane and even the bungee bias later added.

Not for the more robust pilot ... 110kg from empty to MTOW ... and it was designed under the original 115kg empty weight!

Had a set of plans for this back in '87 but over the years they got lost in the moves...and I'm now one of the pilots that would both have trouble fitting under the hood and under the MTOW :-(

Yep, very neat - fully flying tailplane with antiservo tab with trim - beats the Sapphire tailplane and even the bungee bias later added.Not for the more robust pilot ... 110kg from empty to MTOW ... and it was designed under the original 115kg empty weight!

Had a set of plans for this back in '87 but over the years they got lost in the moves...and I'm now one of the pilots that would both have trouble fitting under the hood and under the MTOW :-(

No problem, scale it to 125% and beef up the structure a little. As long as the wing loading and W&B are the same, a more modern engine would probably drive it fine. (Those tiny wheels need scaling up anyway!!)

• Like 1

No problem, scale it to 125% and beef up the structure a little. As long as the wing loading and W&B are the same, a more modern engine would probably drive it fine. (Those tiny wheels need scaling up anyway!!)

Oooo don't go saying that ... this one was actually designed by a real live Australian aeronautical engineer and he might get huffy!