Guess the plane

Guest Pioneer200

Excellent mystery plane kasper!

Not a KJ design was it? If so I didn't think he was an aero Eng, though he's still alive and flying last I heard, at about 84 years young. I guess I'm wrong though as I don't think any of KJ's designs offered plansets. And his infamous 72kg Joey motorglider had a pylon mounted engine.

Musing - Australian aero Engineers that designed ultralights - Whitney ... I don't think it's one of his ... was David Betteridge qualified? (Anyone got a pic of his Hornet?) Um ... Dafydd L has many design parts but no whole aircraft I think (wish he'd design one, it'd have some clever aspects I'm sure, based on what he's done with the Seeker). Swanson ... It also looks a little like the Resurgam copy, the Rouseabout, but that also had a tubular rear fuselage although it was kevlar composite I think, rather than aly tubing.

OK, I give up, for now :-)

As far as the rudder is concerned - the lower the flying/stalling speed of the aircraft the greater the rudder 'volume' has to be to manage crosswinds for takeoff/landing management (i.e volume = larger fin/rudder for short rear fuselage, smaller fin/rudder for long rear fuselage). This one looks quite appropriate in area/length to me and would probably still have the usual deflections of 25-30 degrees each way. The aerodynamic counterbalance might be more than ideal though, perhaps leaving the pilot with very little control-force feedback.

• Informative 1

Was it a Moya or Moyra.. ?I remember seeing it in an early AUF mag but cant be sure of the name

OK that's close enough - it's the Maya designed by Graham Percy down in Victoria.

http://www.geocities.ws/gjp57/

And it is an all wooden airframe with fibreglass fairings only.

The original was registered 95.10 as 10-0030

maya076_web.jpg.52d6e06c60b614073dd0c49519012845.jpg

maya013_web.jpg.9b5fe59c5eb257363500af30a1db228f.jpg

Still looking for the name of the flying dunny seat ... also from Victoria ...

HITC with rudder, it all depends on the aileron adverse yaw level and that plane has a fair wingspan.. It also has little dihedral and the leading edge is straight and I think would be pleasant enough to fly. The rudder effort could well be overcompensated but it's in the propwash so strange effects might happen.

Look up Heath Parasol as a practical design Nev

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! Yep the Dehn Ringwing

Last sighted by me in Airworld Wangaratta - no idea where it went after the closure/sale.

If someone else doen't post up an other mystery plane I'll post next Wednesday the next one from my little stash of oddness

Ok - Wednesday and no new posts so here goes again.

Theme - one designer, 3 different aircraft built in 3 countries 40 years apart. Name the designer and at least two of the aircraft - bonus gold star for naming the countries in which the aircraft were constructed ;-)

wing4.jpg.5f2d9c07f35f058d8342df8cfc099b77.jpg

wing1.jpg.8e562d81d499fd3c44f1b1f076dcfcb7.jpg

wing2.jpg.d53f95da2ffc9d7f7a45ef55417a438d.jpg

wing3.jpg.53d5e3172d3b99e4d0b7b6e725da9d7e.jpg

The glider is the Horten Ho X a and the bottom photo is the Horten PUL-10. Designed by Reimer and Walter Horten. Originally in Germany, but later in Argentina.

The glider is the Horten Ho X a and the bottom photo is the Horten PUL-10. Designed by Reimer and Walter Horten. Originally in Germany, but later in Argentina.

Well done, get the gold star but missed the Australian link...

Photos 1 and 2 are Bill Moyes Horten Xc

3 is the Horten Xb from Argentina

4 is the Horten designed PUL10 (Panek UltraLight 10m)

Love the woodwork in the H Xb ...

Hxb.jpg.b4bc0b0c1958af96b96bc1ead4d37c55.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Correct kasper. HAL-HT-2 re-engined with a Lycoming 160 hp engine.What about this one?

[ATTACH=full]35714[/ATTACH]

That cowl and nose leg looks familiar but the canopy and rear fuselage looks purpose built. A prototype drone / glider tug or spotter plane.