Marty_d

Alternative to steam gauges... opinions sought

The USA publishes when it will cause drop outs. Some time ago I had an email telling me that there would be drop outs overa large area of Western USA for a certain time. It originated as a Notam.

I have had about 45deg. discrepancies near Bundaberg, when I could see Bundy ahead, but my gps was saying turn off 45deg.

A lot of us complain about the lack of useful load we have and then have a glass panel with a back up set of steam gauges increasing our weight while taking from our useful load, then we want 760kg to cover it all. I run steam and use a AH (actual horizon that is!) On landing I set up the actual horizon with my asi in my periphery as I know where the needle points at 65 kts without having to actually look at it. Try using your periphery vision on a glass panel speed ribbon! Good luck with that. Save the money and turn that glass into fuel......Ken

there are lot of governments and other parties who intentionally corrupt gps signal. With military signal (tru certified avia gps etc) it causes ony loss of reception, they can not break into the signal, only jam it, but with civilian (all mobiles, ipads, built-in drone systems etc) such devices can shift position, substituting satellite signal with its own. Particularly in center of Moscow, around the Kremlin, all civilian-grade GPS show position of Vnukovo airport, about 50 km SW from there.

Hi all,

I need to start thinking about what sort of instruments to put into the 701. While looking at alternatives to traditional gauges, I came across this wing mounted pod:

[ATTACH=full]62151[/ATTACH]

WingBug | Fly Smarter

This works in conjunction with a tablet, for instance Ipad or Ipad mini, to display Airspeed, Artificial Horizon, Altitude, Turn Coordination, Magnetic Compass, and Vertical Speed Indicator (pic below:)

[ATTACH=full]62150[/ATTACH]

There's also a company which makes powered flush panel mounts for Ipads in various sizes (they're a bit expensive, there's probably cheaper versions out there) - iPad/iPhone Panel Mounts

[ATTACH=full]62152[/ATTACH]

So my thinking is that it'd be cheaper and neater to use a setup like this rather than a panel full of heavier steam gauges, and way cheaper than a "proper" glass display.

Of course I'd need basic engine instruments like CHT and oil temp etc.

What do people think?

If the iPad fails do you lose everything? I don't like the idea of one thing does all.

without backups yes and Ipads do fall over in hot conditions

A D180 or Ipad for non essential info will be less weight than a six pack

Mostly people set up minimum backups and a glass screen for the rest - be surprised if its a weight issue unless you look a t double screens, twin radios, etc etc

Hummmmm IPad, took off from Gawler (Adelaide ) after 5 minutes showed me that I was in Sydney, quick reboot then I was in Broome! Decided to map read instead. Next flight all good and never a problem since. But I don't trust anything with electrons...Ken

• Like 1