hiperlight

Guest tcbrandy

Guest tcbrandy

I'm rebuilding a hiperlight sn-8 and I'm trying to find the tapes they use to lay the glue down on the frame. Does anybody know anything about special adhesive film tape?

Welcome Thomas,

I'm rushing out at this time so I'll contact you on this forum later today.

In the meantime you should contact Ron Jones at Thunderbird Aviation in Michigan USA.

Google 'hiperlight' for his website.

Talk later,

Bruce hiperlight

Guest tcbrandy

Bruce

I got 50 ft of the secret tape from Ron Jones but he doesn't have anymore tape and my hiperlight is at a stand still until I can get more tape. I even contacted Ted Mayfield one of the previous owners of the hiperlight and he doesn't have any either or knowledge of where you can purchase the tapes.

TCB

Thomas,

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but try www.specialtytapes.net . They are located in Wisconsin.

3M 'Therma-Bond' might be the go.

I'm surprised that Ted Mayfield or Ron Jones couldn't advise you of the tape brand. Ithas tobe a proprietary item. I'll bet they didn't make it themselves.

If you manage to locate the tape please let me know as I'll be recovering my Hiperlight pretty soon; although I'll probably use the Stitts system. Our 95.10 allows up to 300kg MTOW and is not as restrictive as your FAR 103 regs.

Are you still using a 277 engine?

Regards

Bruce

Guest tcbrandy

Bruce

I've got a 440 kaw. engine on mine. This hiperlight was made in 1997. the fabric was covered with polyurethane paint with a flex agent. The fabric which I believe to be the original was in poor condition. If I knew that getting these tapes was going to be such a problem I would have covered it with stits. I talked to Ted Mayfield about ten minutes ago and he said he also was in need of the tapes andI should contact him thisTuesday to see what he could find out. Ted said the Sorrels discovered this tape system from Boeing Aircraft!

I'll keep you posted

Tom B

Guest tcbrandy

I just got my hiperlight in July so I haven't even flown the plane yet, but I'm going to fly the plane in Scottsberg, Indiana at little grass strip.

Hiperlight, where do you fly yours?

That's a good question! :confused:

You have your location as Sydney, but i've never seen a Hyperlight at the Oaks, are you down at Holbrook?

Have only ever seen a Hyperlight flying at mangalore many years ago.

Often wondered what they are like to fly?

Arthur.

I have been a bit of a fan of the hyperlight and it's big brother the hiperbipe. tough aircraft. when i saw your avitar i dug thru my colection of mags and reread the report in the June 83 issue of Homebuilt aircraft. A fine "classic". shame there are not more of them. A '97 model. there must be a few made over that period.

Lots of links and info on tape a suppliers at www.lazair.com

TCB if you like i can try to scan the print and PM it to you.

20061106_211210_docu0075.thumb.jpg.0899a93c6a1152aadf03554dc0adb3a8.jpg

Guest tcbrandy

ozzie

Yes I would like to see the article, I just got a e-mail saying that Ron Jones had ordered some new tape and he'll send me enought tape to finish my hiperlight. Thunderbird aviation can still make new hiperlights.

thankyou

Hello Tom,

I've been away for a few days and I'm just catching up.

I'll check in the morning and answer your question about oil stains. The exhaust exits under the blue panel of the lower wing and the tailpipe points downwards. I don't think it is a problem but I'll let you know tomorrow.

Bruce

Hello Arthur and Cecil,

I've been in the tablelands for 3 or 4 days mustering and crutching sheep, trying to cope with the worst drought in living memory, and I've just arrived home after a four hour drive.

Anyway...I haven't flown my hiperlight yet. I still have to convert my PPL to an ultralight certificate but with my body mass (like big boned) I have some difficulty sitting in a dual seat ultralight with an instructor heavier than about 40kg...but I'm working on it. Even when I was younger and fitter I couldn'tsit comfortably in a Cessna 150.

The stupid thing is my Hiperlight will carry me easily.

Piper Warriors are great, but I have this fettish for biplanes...something to do with my toilet training, I think.

My relationship with two strokes is very good...but the little beasts have minds of their own and will stop at the drop of a hat if they are not pampered all of the time.

With moral support froma friend of mine who was involved with HAPI and Limbach in the 1980's I have been building up a half VW engine for the Hiperlight, but my mate was diagnosed with a brain tumour last May and he fell off his perch in early October.

I am now continuing with the project after a bit of a delay, but I do miss his input.

My wife is on my back to move a couple of electric pottery kilns...the house needs work...I am in the middle of a complete rebuild of a 1973 Porsche 2.4 engine for my 72 911 ....and I am continually running out of money for my projects.

God...I have to live to 150 just to do those things on my wife's list.

We havetwo rules in this place:

(1) My wife does exactly what she wants and

(2) I do exactly what my wife wants.

I retired 20 years ago but I can tell you I had more spare time when I was working full time.

I don't know why I'm writing this, but there you go! I'll feel better after a good sleep. And I'll shift those bloody kilns tomorrow.

Bruce

Arthur,

You probably noticed that the photo inmy avatar was taken outside Dave's hangar at The Oaks.

Myplan is to fly from The Oaks.

If you Google 'hiperlight' you'll see a couple of clearer photos of the hangar. I think its about the third or fourth entry down the page.

Bruce

Guest tcbrandy

Bruce

I know a guy with a hiperlight who has a 1/2 vw engine with a est. 32hp output That was going to be my next project after I get this hiperlight up and running.

Tom B

wanabigaplane,

Yeah that's a Hiperlight SNS-8 (Sorrell Negative Stagger, model #8)

There is also a two seater (side by side) version called SNS-9. A couple of those in the USA are fitted with HKS 700 engines and at least one with a Wankel Rotary.

Bruce

Guest tcbrandy

Bruce

Thats good to know about oil on the tailfeathers because mine are white.one of builders I know has a sn-8 1/2 vw engine and the sn-9 (two seater) with the HKS engine the sn-9 is almost finished being rebuilt. Tom B

tcbrandy...Tom,

Further to my report on the lack of oil stains...my hiperlight has white tailplanes and fin with red elevators and rudder. There is no sign of oil stains; the white fabric is surprisingly bright white considering it is twenty years old. Hence my desire to replace the fabric even though it seems quite strong and passes normal testing.

Bruce

• 7 years later...

Does anyone know if there is still an SNS-8 Hiperlight at Boonah (Blue in colour) and if it is flown?

Owner contact details via PM appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Does anyone know if there is still an SNS-8 Hiperlight at Boonah (Blue in colour) and if it is flown?Owner contact details via PM appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I fly out of Boonah, I haven't seen a Hiperlight there. Maybe someone else may be able to help.

• 1 year later...

Just saw this now.

Yes there used to be a blue Hyperlite at Boonah. Many years ago. It went for a buzz one windy morning and came back with battle scars, then disappeared.