Jump to content
Astroguy

First flight in over six weeks!

Recommended Posts

First flight in over six weeks!
Also the first time back in the left seat since end of October!
I have been doing the last 7 or 8 flights from the right seat and with a common central stick and different sight picture....I was not enjoying my flying. 
Believe it or not, I was actually very concerned whether I'd fly again to be perfectly honest!
So today was a make or break day..... I jumped into the good old left seat and had a great but cold flight. The weather here has been horrible for the last 6 weeks straight.
I'm back baby!!   "George Castanza"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3p76e6H95M&t=7s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sit in the seat that allows me to have flight control in my left had, did a flight review in a Jabiru once and told the instructor that I would fly from the right seat. I don't understand why you would fly from a side you are not comfortable with.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Saturday I chose to fly from the Right. My friend was going to fly my plane for a while and he is only comfortable on the left. I have often flown from the right without a problem, but...

 

After landing I had no left toe brake. Fortunately plenty of runway to sort out the problem. On the left, there is a bar that comes down between the pedals. So you put your left foot a bit to the left. On the right, the bar comes down on the left of the pedals. So I was pushing on the bar, not on the toe brake. I don’t why it happened then and never before. Could have been awkward on a short or narrow runway as I was meandering about for a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

I sit in the seat that allows me to have flight control in my left had, did a flight review in a Jabiru once and told the instructor that I would fly from the right seat. I don't understand why you would fly from a side you are not comfortable with.

Are you left handed ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "standard" is Command in the LHS ( except some heli's). and instruction situations.  Left Hand circuits are the very much encouraged, NORMAL  that LHS seating suits. CASA will not approve RH circuits being designated " somewhere" unless there's a very compelling reason. Sometimes there's no brakes or steering (By tiller or wheel) available in the RHS position and certainly the instruments are by far more suited to the LHS sitting position. IF you fly from the RHS YOU must ensure that you can reach all controls and operate them without getting out of the seat. Your POH will have something to say about which seat is used for the PIC. In some tandem seats it's also a Cof G (balance ) issue. ALL Piper Cubs except the Super is flown solo from the rear seat.. That's a balance thing primarily..

  I have flown from the RHS solo but I would advise against it in a sense as there may be some issue that causes an incident where the seat used had some effect that may be said to have contributed to the outcome. Visibility in the circuit etc. Instructors are in and out of different planes and types and  LH and RH seats all the time. You can (and must) if you fly Airlines or charter etc in anything sophisticated or multicrew. There's no exceptions based on Left or right handedness..  Nev

  • Like 1
  • Informative 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

I sit in the seat that allows me to have flight control in my left had, did a flight review in a Jabiru once and told the instructor that I would fly from the right seat. I don't understand why you would fly from a side you are not comfortable with.

Flying left seat with stick (elevator/ailerons/brakes) in right hand and throttle control and flaps with left.... feet on the rudder. The right seat switches the central stick control so the hands become reversed.  Plus the site picture on landing is a bit different.  Plus most of the steam gauges are way off to the left... the inclinometer is almost useless from the right seat.

 I can fly right seat but I don't feel as comfortable for sure. Maybe old brain with newbie skills could be the problem.

I fly right seat to practice flight instruction but I think I've decided that I don't really like instructing as much as just flying around doing my own will.....so that allows me to jump back in the left seat.  
I'm sure that with another 20 hours in the right seat I would feel at home but why?  I think I"ve just decided to take up passengers but forget the flight instruction. 

Thanks for the contact.

DaveP

Edited by Astroguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Last Saturday I chose to fly from the Right. My friend was going to fly my plane for a while and he is only comfortable on the left. I have often flown from the right without a problem, but...

 

After landing I had no left toe brake. Fortunately plenty of runway to sort out the problem. On the left, there is a bar that comes down between the pedals. So you put your left foot a bit to the left. On the right, the bar comes down on the left of the pedals. So I was pushing on the bar, not on the toe brake. I don’t why it happened then and never before. Could have been awkward on a short or narrow runway as I was meandering about for a while.

This is interesting... just a little nuance like just that can be a part reason for my dislike of changing up the seats.  One similar thing to your toe brake oddity is the way I have to reach for the manual flaps lever located on the roof....  I find it crazy difficult to reach up and across with my opposite hand for some reason... I don't now why but it all feels like trying to throw a ball with my wrong hand...... I can do it but it sure doesn't look as pretty!

Thanks
DaveP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, facthunter said:

The "standard" is Command in the LHS ( except some heli's). and instruction situations.  Left Hand circuits are the very much encouraged, NORMAL  that LHS seating suits. CASA will not approve RH circuits being designated " somewhere" unless there's a very compelling reason. Sometimes there's no brakes or steering (By tiller or wheel) available in the RHS position and certainly the instruments are by far more suited to the LHS sitting position. IF you fly from the RHS YOU must ensure that you can reach all controls and operate them without getting out of the seat. Your POH will have something to say about which seat is used for the PIC. In some tandem seats it's also a Cof G (balance ) issue. ALL Piper Cubs except the Super is flown solo from the rear seat.. That's a balance thing primarily..

  I have flown from the RHS solo but I would advise against it in a sense as there may be some issue that causes an incident where the seat used had some effect that may be said to have contributed to the outcome. Visibility in the circuit etc. Instructors are in and out of different planes and types and  LH and RH seats all the time. You can (and must) if you fly Airlines or charter etc in anything sophisticated or multicrew. There's no exceptions based on Left or right handedness..  Nev

Thanks Nev....  At my ripe age of 57 , I simply like to just juice around checking out the world.. I can switch up sides but I rather dislike it. So I thought to myself.... why am I doing this? Well obviously I make $40 per hour to instuct instead of paying $150 per hour to fly for fun. That is a big reason for sure.... but I was sort of surprised at myself when I found that I didn't really like instructing. That really took me by surprise.  So I'm back to the more expensive flying for fun... and loving it.

Again... if I never fly another minute for the remainder of my life... this accomplishment will rest happily deep in my soul forever!
Thanks Nev.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For 20 years I flew left hand seat with a yoke & centre throttle which means left hand on the yoke & right on the throttle. Then I began flying with stick & centre throttle. No change really. When I built my plane I built it so that everything was in the right place not like most factory built aircraft where they put controls in every conceivably wrong place. I have a centre stick and left hand throttle with flap switch & carb heat at my fingertips. but my hands are reversed with left throttle & centre controls. I didn't even notice the change really. I didn't put brakes on the right side & there is no throttle there either so flying my plane from that side isn't an option.

 

Once in a club comp when I was a student where we swapped seats with the instructor for a circuit I got quite crossed up. It was a good lesson in keeping concentrated so I don't mind what side I fly from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 There are some very awkward set-ups. As an example I always found the Auster  flaps awkward and the Heel brakes not much either but generally I like flying the Auster.

 what is standard? Well thankfully the early LSA Jabiru isn't. That throttle position is something else.

  I guess having the throttle  on the left side and the stick in the right hand is generally the original standard, but with twin engines coming along all the engine stuff gets put on a console in the middle when you have two up the front.. Cessna( virtually synonymous with light planes) goes sensibly with a throttle etc in the middle and a Control Wheel for each side coming out of the panel on a thin shaft with  a crappy looking nylon bush. Well it doesn't get in the way and looks a bit flimsy but works and is an easy transition to two pilot  side by side cockpits. in any modern plane.. There's no room for a console in anything small (Narrow). throttle on the left and joystick between the legs are for tandem seated aircraft which I think are the Original concept for all fighters and trainers and although they have been a small % of my total hours, it's my preferred set up for a 2 seater to fun fly although you an eat sandwiches etc better side by side, but isn't the C-150 narrow?. Most U/L s are wider. Nev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nev, did they make the c150 narrow to stop it being overloaded ? Two standard people from the sixties would fit in just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 That's true about the size of people, but it is a narrow plane. I guess IT hasn't shrunk.. So that leaves another conclusion. My logbook shows plenty of instruction done with a lot of pupils. I've got it!!! No McDonald s about then. I don't remember anyone being FAT in the 60's.  I think they made it to fit in nicely with the engine width. The 152  115 HP Lycoming is a fair bit wider but I don't think the cabin was altered . Nev

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, the 152 was real cosy as well. You are right though, the average person now is way bigger than when I was learning to fly. Fat people were the exception not what now appears to be "normal". Just googled it and the average Australian male is now 12kgs heavier than in the 1960s. Fatties are probably 25 to 30kgs heavier.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×