Soggy Natfly....

JG3

Thursday morning real early at Kilcoy Airfield, SE Qld, all packed and eager to head for Natfly. One last hopeful look at Elders Weather.... Could make it there OK, and Friday maybe OK, but then looks real soggy, and worse for the track home again for days to come.... So reluctantly cancelled...... Felt bad all day Friday for wimping out...... Then this morning saw 13mm at Dubbo last night, and more to come, and felt sorry for Natfly campers. Visions of hanging around the bar all day like wet shags, and probably tomorrow, and maybe longer - been there, done that, a couple of times......

What a bummer for RAAus....... 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

But what a relief for the countryside! :)

JohnG

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good morning, yesterday was quite a nice day, high cloud with storms developing into the night 13 mm at dubbo, but fortunatly it was dark when it started, today so far has high cloud but very grey looking, couldnt think of a better place to sit at the bar in this weather than at Narromine..:)

We also pulled out this morning; this rainfall predictive chart told it all: Water and the Land: Forecast Rainfall (select NSW & today) and the Obs coming in since support it; another 6mm at Dubbo since 9am today..

We couldn't afford to get stuck at Narromine, so cancelled. Bummer..

Hope all that are there can get out OK..

Yeh, it was the chance of not being able to get back for days that killed it. Big heaps of wet moving from central Qld across our track to get home... They're having an excellent season this year.

Thanks for that 'Forecast Rainfall' link, it's a beauty, I've added it to my favorites.

JohnG

I think all this rain must be virtual rain. We have had rain predicted for ages, but it isn't getting to the ground. 0.5mm in the last week and rain forecast for every day.

Please sent all your rain this way!

Guest brentc

I departed around 12pm today from Narromine for Tooradin.

We flew through rain for approximately 30 miles at 600ft agl.

Needless to say I'm glad I left early and I feel sorry for everyone at Narromine. From what I understand it's still pelting down there.

I had 2 inches of water in my plane from Friday afternoon when the thunderstorm came through (complete with lightning) and luckily zero water made it into my tent.

I was a little disappointed when everyone was continuing to zoom around Narromine on demo flights when at times visibility was reduced to 0 metres.

At times on the flight out I was solely on instruments and would not have contemplated flying in those conditions without them!

Good luck to everyone who is stuck there and hopefully you can get out by Tuesday.

The briefing Saturday morning practically said to everyone to get home before Monday as it's gonna get nasty!

It started raining here about 10:00 this morning and it's still going - barely a break.

I'm sitting here this evening studying the weather and listening to the sound of rain on the tent - it's been so long I'm actually enjoying it.

Still hoping to get home tomorrow. I bought a snorkel for the trip.

Met lots of forumers, convinved lots of people to buy Cheetahs, and ate lots of Ian's cold cross buns. It's been a good day by any standards.

The outlook for Monday is actually improving (unless you are going to Vic).

Left Narromine just after 7 Sat, patchy showers around West Wyalong, otherwise clear to Mangalore.

A wasted stop at Narrandera 'cause the fuel bowser was empty and then our cards wouldn't work at Tocumal however John Williams cheerfully took cash in exchange for using his card (thanks for the tea and hospitality John).

Took off from YMNG for direct YYRM. The air over the tops had so much crud in it that the mid level clouds would suddenly appear out of the glurk rapidly getting too close for comfort, so hung a right towards Wittelsea and followed the low level route home from there. Smooth sailing under the crud layer.

Walking into the Alberton pub at 7 pm the fuel guy from Narrandera phoned to say that avgas was now available.

cheers

Davidh

Hi David - we saw you overfly on Saturday, we left at 8:30 and Greg at 10:00 so all the Skyrangers were gone by midday!

And for all those who camped at Narromine a quote we can all relate to from Dave Barry:

It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.

Cheers........Doug

Guest David C
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.

Cheers........Doug

Yes that's true , but why did it all fall on mine 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif...I spent last night in the car , it was a better option than a wet tent . Left this morning at 6.10 am and arrived back to a lovely sunny Picton at around 12 noon . At least my tent , sleeping bag , and almost everything else should dry out now I'm home ...

We made it home back to Bacchus Marsh. Left Narromine at 7 am with a quick stop at Yarrawonga for a loo break, and made it in at 11.30. We had 3 other planes with us and all made it back safely aswell. We hit low cloud around West Wyalong, and that bought us down to 2000 AGL. Encounted 2 layers of cloud from there and tried to sit inbetween and once it cleared around Narrandera, we were able to go back up to cruise height. Back into Victoria it was smooth all the way back, with no hint of bad weather.

For our first Natfly it was fantastic, it was great to meet some of the forum members, hang around the Rec flying tent, gorge on cold cross buns, and had a Pedicure from Corrine....(Linda!!!).

A HUGE thank you to all those involved in organizing and helping out at Natfly, we really had a great time. Hope to be back next year!

-Linda

Guest brentc

We had a close encounter with a third kind at Forbes on the way home. It appeared to be a glider, but I have no idea what it was exactly.

Any suggestions? This is the best I can describe it as. It appeared to be side-by-side seating, a very long wing and what could only be described as a pod underneath. It was coming straight towards us so this was the only angle we saw of it.

glider.jpg.93b102b85cdc28f95182494b331ee653.jpg

We had a close encounter with a third kind at Forbes on the way home. It appeared to be a glider, but I have no idea what it was exactly.Any suggestions? This is the best I can describe it as. It appeared to be side-by-side seating, a very long wing and what could only be described as a pod underneath. It was coming straight towards us so this was the only angle we saw of it.

Could this be it?

Stemme motor glider?

There used to be one based at Narromine.

Guest brentc

Not even close Captain. It really did look like a box hanging under a MASSIVELY long wing. This fuse above is far too slimline. It was an interesting machine. Of course the fuse was a bit rounder than in my pic, but still definitely side-by-side seating I think.

You poor guys sitting it out at the bar...

I managed to get out of Emerald (QLD) after a three day wait, only to be battling the low cloud all the way to Boulia via Windorah and Monkira. I had no hope heading directly west via Longreach.

Anyone heading home to Central Queensland had better have a big wallet for the Alcohol bill as it is just plain BLACK. 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

I just hope I make it across to Numery tomorrow.

Guest Ken deVos
We made it home back to Bacchus Marsh. Left Narromine at 7 am with a quick stop at Yarrawonga for a loo break....

Hi Linda, it was me waving :wave:at the Yarrawonga fuel point. I did wonder how early you would have needed to depart Narromine. We escaped Narromine at 11am Saturday then stayed overnight at Yywg with an early departure in clear skies to Coldstream on Sunday.

Saw again over Easter after the Friday storm the interesting feature of cheap tents: why do they let water in through poor tent material, yet will not let it drain out through what one would think to be equally cheap floor material resulting in a "lovely" pool that is deep enough to wet everything that should be dry?

Guest David C
I was a little disappointed when everyone was continuing to zoom around Narromine on demo flights when at times visibility was reduced to 0 metres.

/quote]

Yes I agree with your thoughts too ... I was talking to a guy who openly admitted to taking off with a 100' cloud base , breaking into the clear at 1100' and staying above for 40 mins till he saw the ground ... but wait for it ... he was using the artificial horizon on his i phone while in IMC and a google earth map on his phone for navigation !! ... The mind boggles ... It's no wonder we get bad press at times ..