• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
Mriya

Aircraft down at Leigh Creek

55 minutes ago, djpacro said:

Best time for for a short aerobatic flight is at the end of the day so taking off 20 minutes prior to last light is what I like. 

All flight schools that I am aware of have 30 minutes before last light in their Ops Manuals. It seems to me that this rule has changed in Part 91.

That is the perfect case for the regulation being correct.

The fight schools are adopting a standard which allows a little more for arrival time delays and that's just being prudent.

From the description of this case, sundown wouldn't have been too comfortable either, so there's nothing to stop anyone deciding that their planning limit is going to be 30 minutes before Sundown., and so cater for any runway direction in the planned landing area.

Never used it myself Pots and the 20 mins I mentioned earlier was considered a "Practical" absolute minimum. The further you are from destination would require planning for a 10% error of total Flight time and you can easily exceed that. IF you doing airwork in the training area it's another matter. You are only minutes away. There's no point in pushing these boundaries without alternative plans of action...Nev

EOD is not the same as “sunset”. EOD is the end of “civil twilights” when the sun is 6 degrees BELOW the horizon. 

EOD tables are in the AIP.

I understand that you must PLAN to have an ETA at least 10 minutes before so I reckon it’s allow P for plenty!

4 hours ago, Ironpot said:

EOD is not the same as “sunset”. EOD is the end of “civil twilights” when the sun is 6 degrees BELOW the horizon. 

EOD tables are in the AIP.

I understand that you must PLAN to have an ETA at least 10 minutes before so I reckon it’s allow P for plenty!

If you’re referring to my post it’s about the earlier sunset vs EOD where being forced to land into the sun also has its difficulties.