Phil Perry

Nice video about Flight 1549

I hadn't seen this one before,. . . quite heartwarming. . .

They usually break up (as shown in the clip.) The location of the engines complicates it . Cold river too.  Good outcome for sure. Nev

I often wonder if the high density of the very cold water that Sully landed on, and the water smoothness, was the critical difference between a successful outcome, and a disastrous one.

I'm comparing his landing to the less-than-successful Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961 which ditched into shallow seawater off the Comoros Islands in 1996, when it ran out of fuel after being hijacked.

Despite the Ethiopian Captains best efforts, the 767 broke up rapidly on touchdown, and the majority of the passengers perished.

I would hazard a guess that if the Ethiopian Captain had managed to keep his wings level on touchdown, instead of dropping a wing, it might have helped more people survive - but that's easy to say when you weren't there, and fighting a loss of power and trying to avoid a stall and wing drop.