Repair Skyfox Gazelle

Guest Wigg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Planey.. Thanks for your kind words. Yes the air was quite blue a fair few times. One was just after John spent 3.5 hours putting the ailerons & horisontal stabliser on & had spent quite a bit of time trying to do up the nut which attaches the control cable to the ailerons. I happened to come out in the middle of an outburst & suggested maybe take the horisontal out & do up the nut first would be easier. NOT a good thing to do the outburst became more heated the air bluer & the question asked was "why didn't I tell him that 3.5 hours earlier. LOL We never got to Narromine Easter this year was our first NATFLY. Sue

Hi Neil, John thought if we let people know that ours was gone it may just help others as well. Steve Bell has put an AD out on it on the official RA-Aus site today. How did you go with the throttle cable ? Did you get one & have you got someone to either fix or somewhere to get a new exhaust for your plane??? Hope all is going well with it. Sue & John

Hi Michael, Yes it is only the washer that seems to be the problem, I think John was more concerned that the fuel could flow both ways with it like that. He & Rod are going to flush out the catch can & retrace their steps back to the carby & do a double check of it as well. All new fuel lines are going in as they found a couple of supposedly new ones that had fractures in the lines.John ended up doing the fuel tank himself & it took about 10 days to set. He did a really good job on it & followed your instructions no problems at all. I am quite proud of what John & Rod have done with the plane. For 2 guys who haven't ever done it before it has come up quite good. (not perfect but better than we expected).

Storchy neil I am sure you will hear from the boys REAL SOON LOL

Adrian Thank you for putting the message on here for me I really appreciate it. Your pic of the plane came out pretty good. Sue

Hi Sue & John,

Thanks for asking - Matt fitted 2 new throttle cables & we have someone lined up to weld the new exhaust parts, so we should be able to fit a new exhaust shortly.

Looking forward to hearing your Gazelle is ready to fly again very soon!!

Cheers

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Our level 2 paid his last visit to us today for the Gazelles' final check. He has given the all clear & return to active flight status. He also stated that the a/c is safer to fly than it was before the accident. John & myself would like to say thankyou to all who gave us advice also a big thankyou to our friend Rod Burridge who has been a tremendous help with the repairs, and to recreational flying for the donation from the fund set up for the people who were effected by the airshow winds. This money will be returned to the fund over the next few months in the hope that it may help out another member. I will get the rest of the paperwork written up & hopefully put it & pics of the repairs on here soon. At present a little snowed down with making wedding cake & bridal gown for my son & his fiance for next weekend ,then straight into Xmas cakes. So may take a few weeks to get onto the repairs. Thanks again everyone. Cheers John & Sue

So you're not going flying next weekend?

We all understand, but thanks for keeping us posted about your repairs.

Now get back to the sewing machine and icing nozels. This coming week will just fly by before your happy event.

Don't forget to post some pics of your re-born Gazelle in the air again.

You are both worthy of some congratulations, as well as the about to be, newlyweds.

Kind regards

Planey

Thanks Planey, John has to get this HF exam out of the way & his biannual flight done then the test flight will be done. Our 9yo g/son is plagueing the daylights out of John as he is itching to go flying again with pop over the bay.

Quite understand Sue, just got back from a long weekend in Melbourne this afternoon with, my daughter and three small grandsons, and "Grandad "can you push us on the swing not just high, but really high", and now needing a visit to my chiro tomorrow. But would'nt swap it for quids.

Hope the wedding cake gets gets finished in time, Just get off the forums.

Rgds to John, just make sure the bugger does his fare share of bit of stirring of the icing mix.

Planey

• 2 years later...
Guest Curandero
Hi Derekif you want a copy of the maintenance manual & the operator manual we have it all on one disc. There is no charge for it as it is our pleasure to pass on all the info we have, as to help other aviators. All I require is your name & address & my wife will take care of sending you a copy. No we didn't receive any funds from RAA it was mentioned but that was the last we heard of it. We have a level 2 his name is Stan he comes from Upwey about 10 mins from us , hehas been a great help. Send me a msg & we will send back the disc for you. Cheers John

Hi Wigg, Curandero here. I need to change my Gazelles's shocker system as the rubber blocks have started cracking. A copy of that disc could save me some drama if you still could do one for me. I have the replacement parts so first problem is finding the point where the balance is. I have a Skyfox manual but it s for the taildragger. How is my luck going, could you copy it or email it or put it on a stick. I am in Clare valley South Australia ... more details if you can help.

Paul

Hi Wigg, Curandero here. I need to change my Gazelles's shocker system as the rubber blocks have started cracking. A copy of that disc could save me some drama if you still could do one for me. I have the replacement parts so first problem is finding the point where the balance is. I have a Skyfox manual but it s for the taildragger. How is my luck going, could you copy it or email it or put it on a stick. I am in Clare valley South Australia ... more details if you can help.Paul

Hi Paul,

Sue here only to happy to help you out can you pm me on sueqatnetspace.net.au with full name & address will get it off to you tomorrow ok.

Regards

Sue & John

Hi Paul,Sue here only to happy to help you out can you pm me on sueqatnetspace.net.au with full name & address will get it off to you tomorrow ok.

Regards

Sue & John

That's what's great about this site, mostly wonderful people always wanting to help others.

Good on you! and if you want icing mixed for a special occasion cake, Johns the man for that too096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

That's what's great about this site, mostly wonderful people always wanting to help others.Good on you! and if you want icing mixed for a special occasion cake, Johns the man for that too096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

Finished that Planey until end Feb thank goodness lol Sue

Hi Wigg, Curandero here. I need to change my Gazelles's shocker system as the rubber blocks have started cracking. A copy of that disc could save me some drama if you still could do one for me. I have the replacement parts so first problem is finding the point where the balance is. I have a Skyfox manual but it s for the taildragger. How is my luck going, could you copy it or email it or put it on a stick. I am in Clare valley South Australia ... more details if you can help.Paul

Paul, you say you have a CA22 taildragger manual ,is it on a disc, or easily copied perhaps, I'd be happy to cover any cost if I could get a copy , you could PM name or give me a call on 0411733393

cheers Matt

• 7 months later...

We finally sold the Gazelle. Onto our next project which is the restoration of a 1964 Ford thunderbird. Sue & I d fun doing the Gazelle so thought we would try our hand at this.

With all that is going on with CASA & RA-Aus we are glad to get out of it. John will just hire a plane if we decide to go flying. Have checked out the car Nev John is looking after the rust. Looks like it may have been in the QLD floods.

Then you should strip everything mechanical and inhibit it. Hope it works out for you. Sorry you don't have the plane anymore. Hope the show gets better sometime. I got rid of one of mine, still have the Fisher. Nev

We finally sold the Gazelle. Onto our next project which is the restoration of a 1964 Ford thunderbird. Sue & I d fun doing the Gazelle so thought we would try our hand at this.

The ideal vehicle to arrive in at a Rock-n-Roll venue. (Now that was my scene for the past 40 odd yrs)

Just dig deep Sue, and look out those old bobby socks. Don't let John pinch all your nice underware for polishing the duco though.

• 2 months later...
I wonder how many Skyfoxes are still flying around? And is Coastal Aviation the best to go to for parts? I could not recomend Gympie, in my experience they were totally unreliable. Zenonie

Plenty still flying, I've never dealt with coastal and agree on Gympie, I've got a mate looking for bits at the moment and having trouble,

Like your job description to by the way!

Matty

Well thank you, I could add a few more but don't want my halo to choke me! Interesting about the skyfoxes considering the company went overseas years ago. My little cutie is nearly due for a new engine. I love it , it's great to fly around the property.

• Caution 1