Hello from YMBD

Guest dilojem

Guest dilojem

Hi all,

I fly out of Murray Bridge in South Australia, and this year completed my Pilot's Certificate, passenger endorsement and more recently my Navigation Endorsement which of course now allows me to fly anywhere I like (out of controlled airspace of course). I am looking to purchase a good 2nd hand Jabiru LSA55 (that's what I learnt in and I can easily turn it around myself - independence at it's best, and economical) and what a great way to get my flying hours up. But there are SO MANY questions???? Like, Who do you find to check out a plane for you interstate before you fly in to do the final check and hand over the money? Like, How do you find people who can service it for you? Like, Where to go for the best deals on insurance? Like, How to find out about getting hangar space at an airfield? Like, What is a reasonable and fair price for a plane? And with the insurance, Who decides what the insured value is?

So many questions.. so little time!

Diana :rotary:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Diana, we've probably crossed paths but I have a brain like a sieve when it comes to names. I'm not going to try and answer your many questions, instead, I ask, why stick with the LSA55, apart from that's all you know at present. You might be better off looking for a more updated a/c.

Hi Di, morning coffee has just kicked in. Of course I remember you. You're that pretty, jovial brunette with the laugh of a hundred silver bells, aren't you? :heart: :heart: 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Guest dilojem

Hey Doug... not sure if I've met you or not... but sticking to LSA initially, I can reach the pedals with a pillow behind me, it's compact, I can manage it on my own, and will enable me to get my hours up and then move onto something else. But open to suggestions!!!

Guest basscheffers
I am looking to purchase a good 2nd hand Jabiru LSA55

Don't know too much about the Jabs, but weren't later LSAs delivered with the 2200 engine and referred to as "Jabiru 2200" in ads? I see them for sale regularly.

Also, the new J120 is an upgraded version of the LSA you might like.

Like, Who do you find to check out a plane for you interstate before you fly in to do the final check and hand over the money?

At the very least, you will need an Aircraft Condition Report for the sale, performed by a Level 2 (or better) that has no interest in the aircraft. The RA-Aus website lists all L2s, so phone one near to where the aircraft is. If they are also a pilot, they can test fly it for you. Also ask them to take detailed, close up photos.

Like, How do you find people who can service it for you?

Same as a above, find a local L2. Some may not be interested and only maintain for their own school, some may be more than happy to work on your A/C for an hourly rate. Also, the factory or importer is there to support you with parts and advice; if you have maintenance issue, not only do they want to help you, they want to know about it because if you have them, others likely will too.

Like, Where to go for the best deals on insurance?

There are really only 3 underwriters that do recreational aircraft: Vero, Alianz and QBE. Best thing to do is go to a broker. Find one that also knows how to effectively integrate the existing cover you have as RA-Aus member with the extra cover you are buying. For me that was OAMPS. (PM me if you want contact details)As a low time pilot, expect to pay 3-3.5% of aircraft value on insurance, with $2500 excess. Your RA-Aus membership gives you $5M 3rd party and $250K passenger liability, so hull insurance may be all you need to buy extra. (if at all, there are many who do not because of the high premium and still a high excess.)

Like, How to find out about getting hangar space at an airfield?

Talk to people at the airfield. No doubt someone at your school at YMBD will be able to point you in the right direction. Do you want to stay at YMBD? There are several options in SA. Where do you live? People might be able to suggest other close-by fields.

And with the insurance, Who decides what the insured value is?

It is always an agreed value, and you set it. Basically, you want replacement value.

Guest dilojem

Thank you SO MUCH... ! My CFI has been extremely helpful to date, and it's always nice to get other opinions on matters as well... so I really appreciate your time and effort in the reply. Once I get closer to a decision re an A/C then I shall persue the insurance thing... so may be in touch further at that point.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dilojem

Hey Dexter... it's all good news... and thanks for the feedback about the article (I sent it to the magazine in March but they had other content to use beforehand). I have now finished my navs too (early May) and done my first long nav to Weekeroo up north... it was fun with 2 other Jabi's and 5 of us in total. I've written about that and sent to magazine as the final follow up... not sure if or when it may get published. I just can't get enough of the flying at the moment... ah!!!!!

Take your time

Diana, glad to see you have caught the aviation flu so bad.

I read you are asking lots of questions about buying planes, checking them out etc etc etc .

My advice is to wait ( if you possibly can ) until you get some time and experience up your sleeve say about another year.

Reason being as you see more types of aircraft and learn more about aviation your perceptions will change about just what plane you might prefer based on if you want to fly distance faster or just potter around locally. Also comfort, visibility, high wing vs low, etc etc .

You may want to try out different aircraft first, get checked out in them for more experience and see what you like.

Nothing worse than buying a plane quickly only to find a much more desirable one later.

Took me 3 years to settle on what I wanted to do with flying and what aircraft would suit.

Cheers.

Guest basscheffers
Took me 3 years to settle on what I wanted to do with flying and what aircraft would suit.

And your profile says:

Aircraft: RV6A, PA 28, C172, Jabiru,

So, which one DID you settle on! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Pop-top

Hello Diana,

Wow, everything you have written so far sounds very exciting and I hope to one day make loads of friends with our same flying interest who I can fly along side of...hmmmmm...formation endorsements sound good right about now. But flying with mates to some random nav point for a weekend sounds like really living to me! :big_grin:

What ever plane you decide on, I'm sure you are going to love it! Hopefully I'll hear you on the radios, I'm off to Murray Bridge for a nav lesson on Sunday :big_grin:

Hi Basscheffers,

After flying those and other aircraft for many hours I settled on the Vans RV6A. I finally came to the understanding that what I wanted from flying was to visit many wonderful places in Australia and partake in fly ins and airshows so I needed a plane that was reasonably quick and comfortable

Guest basscheffers

Sounds like a good choice. I have to try some RVs at some point; I'd like to build one in some years time. The RV6 seems a little small for me, they say 43" at the shoulders; the Sporty is 46" and that seems to be right for me. But then again, a 172 is smaller on paper but fits fine. Only way to know is try one on!

The RV8 might do the trick, though. I don't mind the thought of a tandem, especially for aeros.

Or go the whole hog and build an RV10!

Oh well, dreaming for now. Still have lots of hours to build in the Sporty before trusting myself with something much higher performance! (Broke the 50 hours barrier this weekend)

Bass

There are a few RV`s down at Goolwa that I know of.

Might be worth a trip down there to check them out but I am sure Parafield has some too

Guest basscheffers

I know someone is building an RV10 at Parafield, will have to check it out some day.

According to CASA, there's two RV-8s at Goolwa. Will have to contact the owners one day to see if I can have a look. I'll fly the Sporty down there, anyone know of any good barbie days down at Goolwa? :D

Guest dilojem
:thumb_up:Way to go! That trip would have been a great thrill. This flying is like a never ending story isn't it. I'll have to get serious and get finished. Can only do it here on Friday's and for about the last 2 months they've all been crap. Keep up the good work & reporting.Cheers

Dexter

Yes it was a fabulous bit of fun... and it IS a 'never ending story' you are right!!!! Good luck with finishing yours off, but ONE day a week... how do you cope????

Guest dilojem
Diana, glad to see you have caught the aviation flu so bad.I read you are asking lots of questions about buying planes, checking them out etc etc etc .

My advice is to wait ( if you possibly can ) until you get some time and experience up your sleeve say about another year.

Hey Skydog..... Wait? What does that mean???? 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif Seriously thou... I understand what you are saying and I am really appreciative of everyone's comments to a newbee.... it's a little in the lap of the Gods at the moment... watch this space... lol keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Guest dilojem
Hello Diana,Wow, everything you have written so far sounds very exciting and I hope to one day make loads of friends with our same flying interest who I can fly along side of...hmmmmm...formation endorsements sound good right about now. But flying with mates to some random nav point for a weekend sounds like really living to me! :big_grin:

What ever plane you decide on, I'm sure you are going to love it! Hopefully I'll hear you on the radios, I'm off to Murray Bridge for a nav lesson on Sunday :big_grin:

Hey Jodie... yeah it was the best fun... especially for a first long nav.. flew with a fellow pilot, he flew up and I flew back... one can never get enough!!!! And I'm with you re the formation flying.. maybe we can speak with our instructors......!!!!! 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

It's great to see and hear other women up there in the airwaves so what is your call sign generally and I will listen out for you as I am now making trips to Aldinga as well!!!! Coffee and cake there is YUMMY!!!! :thumb_up: I'm generally in Jabiru 1849. 0949 or 5678.... AND... there is a Diane who flies up there too (YMBD) so just make sure you get the right one when you say hello... although that said.... Diane is lovely too and a fellow flying mate!!! :star:

Guest dilojem
Hey Diana that was in relation to the instructor being available for nav training. I can assure you with the Gazelle parked outside the back door (well the weather is pretty rough here atm so it's in the carport with the wings folded atm) it goes up more oftem than that. Try & get 2 or 3 flights a week around for an hour or so. Got locals queing up for flights (didn't know I had so many friends lol) But its been 8 days since last flight due to weather. Friday's looking good and then there's the Scone Aero Club comp. day on Sunday all being well.As I said before, I (and I'm sure many others) look forward to reading of your experiences.

Cheers

Dexter

LOL... yes the friends come out of the woodwork don't they... and you really need to TALK to that instructor... LOL....needs to be giving you a bit more attention hey!! And yes I flew yesterday for 2 hours and had to fly AROUND the weather... that was a bit of fun too.... never got to our original destination, but we did have a lot of fun and laughter in the plane....!!! And teaching my friend to map read was hilarious!!

Guest Pop-top
Hey Jodie... yeah it was the best fun... especially for a first long nav.. flew with a fellow pilot, he flew up and I flew back... one can never get enough!!!! And I'm with you re the formation flying.. maybe we can speak with our instructors......!!!!! 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gifIt's great to see and hear other women up there in the airwaves so what is your call sign generally and I will listen out for you as I am now making trips to Aldinga as well!!!! Coffee and cake there is YUMMY!!!! :thumb_up: I'm generally in Jabiru 1849. 0949 or 5678.... AND... there is a Diane who flies up there too (YMBD) so just make sure you get the right one when you say hello... although that said.... Diane is lovely too and a fellow flying mate!!! :star:

I'm only flying the Sportsars so far - my call signs are 5571, 5572 and 5573.

...And you are definitely correct about the Aldinga Cafe!!! all the food there is awesome!!! I had lunch there last weekend just for the heck of it! I love that you can sit on the decking, watch the planes in circuit, listen to them on the radio's and eat yummy home cooked food, cant beat the atmosphere amongst the vineyards too.

Look forward to meeting you soon :)

Guest dilojem
Diana. Great story in the mag. Keep them coming. I suppose we should all consider submitting something, but yours would be a hard act to follow.

Thanks Ian.... some of us are writers and some of us aren't I guess... I know I always love reading other peoples experiences and although mine is from a beginners perspective, if it encourages just ONE more person to fly... then my job is done!! 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Guest dilojem

Hey Jodie

I will definitely listen out for you... and will PM you when I am aiming to head over that way again and see if you are available for a catch up... the more the merrier I say!! And my friends loved the cafe there too and one... who only lives 15 mins away and drove in... will be learning in one of your aircraft soon too! We lose her from Murray Bridge... but happy to have that loss to Aldinga (a near neighbour).

Cheers

Diana

Hey Jodie... will be learning in one of your aircraft soon too! We lose her from Murray Bridge... but happy to have that loss to Aldinga (a near neighbour).

Cheers

Diana

Hey Di, please explain.......