Caboolture Boomerang

Went for a wonder around Caboolture airfield today, and stubled accross a open hanger with the Boomerang being restored sitting in it. Apparently its a week away from flight tests, engine has been run (by the looks of the leaking oil). Found out a little about it to, didnt realise it was being rebuilt as a two seater...Didnt even know there ever was a two seater, but apparently the airforce modified one airframe to a two seater. So this guy will be the 2nd two seat Boomerang ever.

I have to say the build quailty is amazing, it looks like a new aircraft with clearly no expense spared. Chatted to the engineers about the second seat, appartently not alot of structual modification or strengthening was needed. But there obviously was not alot of documentation considering only one other has ever been built!

Anyway Ill let the pictures speak for themselves!

1_30052009.jpg1_30052009_001_.jpg1_30052009_002_.jpg1_30052009_003_.jpg 1_30052009_004_.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Yes an interesting Aussie product at the time. I've seen the other one fly and it looked quite nice in the air, and sounded even better.

Unfortunatly at the time they were badly outclassed as a frontline fighter, but I'm sure they did their bit, and probabily many pilots learnt lots in them, which led them into Spitfires, P-40s etc...........................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

The 'Boomers were mainly used as ground attack because they were slow and could take punishment.

They also had a better scream than the Stuka in a dive made by the air rushing past the gun barrels.

*edit*

http://video.google.com.au/videosearch?q=boomerang+air+plane+WW2&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#

I found this on Youtube

There are lots of stories of the AIF / AMF stinging messages between trees for the pilots to collect on their tail wheels to take home.

I like the kites!!

Stanzahero.

The Japenese used to call them Wistling Death becuase of like stanzahero said, the air rushing the gun ports, I was recently at Temora for the flying day and let me tell you the sound is unmistakable, and the way it flew you can see why it excelled as a ground attack. The pilot flew it up to the top of a loop and rolled it over in a mock ground straffe, and the Wistling started and airspeed incresed got louder and deaper, it looks completely rock solid in a dive and a awesome gun platform!

Went for a wonder around Caboolture airfield today, and stubled accross a open hanger with the Boomerang being restored sitting in it. Apparently its a week away from flight tests, engine has been run (by the looks of the leaking oil). Found out a little about it to, didnt realise it was being rebuilt as a two seater...Didnt even know there ever was a two seater, but apparently the airforce modified one airframe to a two seater. So this guy will be the 2nd two seat Boomerang ever. I have to say the build quailty is amazing, it looks like a new aircraft with clearly no expense spared. Chatted to the engineers about the second seat, appartently not alot of structual modification or strengthening was needed. But there obviously was not alot of documentation considering only one other has ever been built!

Wouldn't it be good if it could be ready to make an appearance at the Wide Bay Airshow next month!!!!!!

Regards Geoff

Guest Decca

If you can lay your hands on an old Rec Aviation mag (April 2004) (still under the Australian Ultralights banner) Page 28 runs a short story about a WW2 pilot, including his respect for the Boomerang.

Quote “What was remarkable about this chunky fighter was its rapid production, about 13 weeks from design to flight. The Boomerang was a tribute to Aussie ingenuity at a time when we couldn’t rely on anyone but ourselves.”

Regards, Decca.

I think (as the story goes) it was designed around the idea of shortening and overpowering the T-6 variant, the Wirraway.

By using the same base components they could modify an already good design, insert a R-1830 P&W (same already produced for the B25's) they had a 'stop-gap' fighter. They had most of the components available.

With only 13 weeks it was an amazingly successful machine, but it didn't have the development to out class its rivals in the air.

But it was interesting to note that Australia designed fighter planes before it designed and built motor cars for the public.

Stanzahero.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ozzie

here is a link to a short vid i took at narromine a few years ago. this was the weekend of the wright flyer fly in. Had just enogh battery left for this.

ozzie

The Caboolture Boomerang has now flown.:thumb_up:

It flew here to Bundy for the airshow yesterday.

Shame it did not display airborne during the show.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif