Planks or fans?

Helicopters and Gyros look (and are) so much fun... but the cost (unless you are happy with something resembling a flying bedstead you are talking fair megabucks), and the thought of the failure scenarios... it is a hard thing to get over.

Helicopters and Gyros look (and are) so much fun... but the cost (unless you are happy with something resembling a flying bedstead you are talking fair megabucks), and the thought of the failure scenarios... it is a hard thing to get over.

I hope your not talking about gyros with the cost, they are now more expensive to run than a FW with a rotax, only after the rotors run the hours, 800 for general flying, how long will it take you to run up 800hrs?

Unless you fly the rotors i fly which have a 2000hr life, but it costs :)

Howard hughesMinimum speed listed as 20 knots.

A friend who has actually flown one said that by pulling back on the stick you almost come to a complete stop, but then start descending like an elevator! Glide ratio is listed as 3 to 1, speed for 'autorotation' is listed as 55 knots, that is coming down bloody fast and steep!

Of course I haven't even seen one in the flesh yet, so this is all from the web!ah_oh.gif

This is more like the stated speeds, i can come in land at 20kts, and land with 0 ground roll even with 0 wind, but as always it TAKES PRACTICE AND EXPERIENCE to know when to do the right things.

It's not the running costs, it's the initial purchase. It's quite a chunk of change if you want to be remotely civilized about it :-)

Compared to what?

Compared to fixed wing.

From what I see in the gyros available..

Bensen/RAF type for not that much.

BIG GAP

Xenon for quite large amounts.

There is a large area in the middle there that either doesn't exist or just isn't much advertised. Compare this to fixed wing where there is literally something for every budget, and a quite comfortable fully enclosed and capable machine in good nick can be had on the second hand market pretty easily for the 30k mark.

Of course, this is to be expected, since demand for gyros is low, so prices remain relatively high.

It's not the running costs, it's the initial purchase. It's quite a chunk of change if you want to be remotely civilized about it :-)

Having owned and operated 5 Helicopters both Piston and Turbine machines, I would have to say that while the initial purchase price is a major consideration, Its really the ongoing costs to keep them in the air that really eats into your budget.

scheduled and unscheduled maintenance - 100 hourlys - Insurance -

Flat battery and replacements run out at well in excess of $1200 plus your down time! while Fuel and Oil are your least concerns.:thumb_up:

For all that, I'm much happier to fly fixed wing and not risk the mechanical complexity and possible hard (auto rotation) landings of a helicopter.

And what compared to the even harder landing in the fixed wing? I would rather a zero speed touch down in my Helicopters than looking for a nice wide obstacle free area that would still require some speed or risk stalling.

Compared to fixed wing.From what I see in the gyros available..

Bensen/RAF type for not that much.

BIG GAP

Xenon for quite large amounts.

There is a large area in the middle there that either doesn't exist or just isn't much advertised. Compare this to fixed wing where there is literally something for every budget, and a quite comfortable fully enclosed and capable machine in good nick can be had on the second hand market pretty easily for the 30k mark.

Of course, this is to be expected, since demand for gyros is low, so prices remain relatively high.

There is machines for sale in just about every range also, you just need to know where to look, just recently very nice 2 seater for 48k. sold, another for 56k sold, ect ect.

It depends on what you want also, i can get you a nice single seater 912. 30k

See they are there just know where and who to ask :thumb_up:

• 7 months later...