Any updates on modifing the cheap eBay 7" gps

Thruster87

this[/url] and just install OziExplorer on it.If you'd like me to buy the unit and Ozi and the maps and set it up for you, lets talk.

Cheers,

Ross

Any chance of posting a pic of a working screen /screens to show what it can do??????:confused: Cheers

There's pics of OziExplorer in action in this post. Is that what you mean?

I haven't set up one of the 7" units yet, but it would be easier than setting up a Navman or Mio because it already has access to Windows - you don't have to unlock it.

It should be simply a matter of downloading and installing OziExplorerCE, loading my waypoint file and the customized screen you can see in the above post, buying and loading the maps you want and go flying.

You can also buy the PC component and install that so you can design your own screens, create routes and waypoints, etc.

I don't think I understand the question.

Touch screen is usual - there's no room for a keyboard, and just having a few buttons would suck.

An SD (or some other format) card slot is normal - to ensure enough storage to load maps and stuff. They usually have a USB interface to connect to your PC. You transfer stuff (maps, routes, waypoints, screen designs, etc.) to the unit via the USB, or take the SD card out and plug it into your PC to copy stuff to it.

Stuff=technical term

just having a few buttons would suck.plug it into your PC to copy stuff to it.

Stuff=technical term

O.K so 'stuff' is a technical term, but I'm a little confused about 'suck'

Should I add them to the Aviation Terms section 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Regards Bill

please excuse my ignorance if i am way off the mark here as i am pretty new to the aviation industry and extremely new to this forum.

But are you interested in setting up a navigational item for flying????

if so i did read a post about a guy flying around australia and used a navman s150 and loaded it with some software that worked just fine as the navman already runs a windows based platform.

here check it out for yourself.

Middle Marker | adventures of a wanderlust pilot ...

scroll down just a little bit till april 22nd

please excuse my ignorance if i am way off the mark here as i am pretty new to the aviation industry and extremely new to this forum.But are you interested in setting up a navigational item for flying????

if so i did read a post about a guy flying around australia and used a navman s150 and loaded it with some software that worked just fine as the navman already runs a windows based platform.

here check it out for yourself.

Middle Marker | adventures of a wanderlust pilot ...

scroll down just a little bit till april 22nd

Basically YES PLEASE that's' what I want but in a 7" screen and the features of a AVMAP or Garmin at $250.00 Cheers

@thruster87: sorry I cant be of much more help. surely it wouldnt be to hard to find out which of these nav's use windows running systems if it doesnt say it on the ebay page maybe contact the seller. as far as other running systems im sure there is another product that can apply to it.

@slartibartfast: awesome I will check that thread out now.

Picked up one on eBay for around the $250.00 with the following specs.Can't wait to play around with it

System

CPU: SUMSUNG 400Mhz S3C2440A—400 Mhz

Operation System: Latest Firmware WinCE 4.2

SDRAM : 64MB, ROM: 64MB

Inbuilt Rechargeable battery (last 10 - 15 mins)

Inbuilt FM Transmitter (transfer navigation voice guidance to car sound system)

Inbuilt Bluetooth (hand-free conversation)

Inbuilt AV-IN Port (works as a LCD monitor, easy to swap back between TV and GPS Interface, also can connect to the reversing camera to obtain rear image.)

Inbuilt Scientific Calculator

Fully Access WinCE Registry files

Fully Access WinCE System Files

Navigation

Built-in GPS module

20 channel SiRFstarIII Chipset

turn-over GPS antenna

Hot/Warm/Cold Start Time: 1/38/42 seconds - Super Fast!

Location Accuracy :10m, 2D RMS; 5m, 2D RMS, WAAS enabled

Multimedia

Video: asf,avi,mp4,wmv

Audio: mp3,wav,mid

Photo viewer: BMP,JPG,PNG,GIF

Text Viewer: TXT

Built-in 2 Watt Max. speaker

I looked at that one for you and decided that the internal battery life of 10-15 mins was not good. If you keep it connected to power, then it won't matter.

Looks good otherwise.

The OziExplorerCE file you need to install on it is this one (ARM compatible CE 4) from the official site here.

Let us know how you go.

I will be running it via the A/C 12v system so the battery life didn't really come into it.Once I get it I will have to go back to your earlier posts so see where to put the files.Much appreciated for all your help. Cheers

According to their website - no.

Those maps can only be read by Garmin mapSource.

It looks like the unit you bought doesn't have any road software installed. Most of the other units on eBay have full road nav software.

If you want that, you are going to have to buy a road nav program - and they aren't cheap.

I already use the "old" OziExplorer on a PDA, great bit of software, I will be interested to see the latest version.

A couple of questions for anyone using these new cheap Ebay systems:

Any problems with signal reception - can they be placed anywhere in the cockpit?

Is the 5" screen good enough, or is it best to go the whole 7" (!)

Nick