Tracking via mobile to Google Map live

Hi Group,

Flying a microlight is great fun, but I sometimes wondered if there was anything out there that could send live coordinates of where I was, in case loved one's needed to find my last where about's... I search the web, but only found things that cost an arm and leg or required annual fees... until I stumbled across a free software at InstaMapper - Free Real-Time GPS Tracking made to work on Iphone, Android & BlackBerry mobiles, I had recently purchased an Iphone and within minutes had the InstaMapper App loaded and working. All I do is switch on software app before my flight, and it starts sending coordinates to Google Map. If my wife needs to find me, she simply logins to webpage and can see the lastest flight info, usually speed, Height and general location.

So far it's worked great, and I can save flights for future reference.

cheers

Mark

instamapper.jpg.6d37ebe33982fdc8975a942cbad38dc0.jpg

iphone_small.png.07520afaab254a9a0a6d040cab55689a.png

Hi

looks like an nice solution and a good find

the web site says it is data intensive and suggests an unlimited plan

Have you got this or a solution or is it not really a problem or is it a bit soon to know yet? - What do you recommend - not really up to date with phone plans 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Ray

Hi Ray

I have run application at normal rate and it sends data every 2 minutes, and I have a capped plan of 150mb a month, and I ran app today on 1hr flight, it used about 5mb, but if your planning a longer flight or worried about data usage you can extend the data rate longer, so it's only sending every 5 minutes for example.

cheers

Mark

Guest Brett Campany

Great app!! Finally a decent GPS app for my iPhone.

What do you think the best setting will be?

Optus now resell the Thyanya (my spelling is crap) Sat mobile based system and it has it's own GPS tracking service provided as part of it.

You simply set the phone to SMS the GPS locations to a phone number on a regular basis. I used it crossing the Simpson and would recommend it to anyone. It's nice to see a flight path with last known speed, heading etc displayed. System can be accessed by anyone with the password.

Giles