Rotax 582 not starting when warm

Guest ssmith579

Guest ssmith579

My buddy has an Airborne trike with a Rotax 582. The problem is the engine will not start after it warms up. It's a bit hard to start when it's cold but we do get it started in the morning. After running for awhile it will not start once shut off until the next morning. It seems to be an electrical problem. It has fuel and is not flooded. One thought is it may not be getting a good spark due to resistor plugs. It has the Ducati CDI. Would it be worth trying non-resistor plugs? Anyone ever had similar problems or any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Guest Crezzi

Hi Steve & welcome

If you got some non-resistor plugs handy its maybe worth trying them but there shouldn't be any starting problems with R plugs if everything is in good condition.

Have you checked that the choke isn't sticking at all ?

Cheers

John

Hi,

I had one like that a few years ago, according to the log book it was two issues, the first was the rubber/plastic tube between the carbies and the inlet manifold had a crack under and just byond the inlet manifold clamp(running lean at start up) and the ingnition unit was failing under load.

Bob.

Guest ssmith579

Thanks for the suggestions. The choke seems to be working and not sticking but it's worth a check. We'll check the tubes for cracks. It's strange that it starts up and runs just fine until you shut it off. After that it seems like it just doesn't even want to fire.

Hi Steve, I have had and am still having the same problem with my 447 SCDI. My Minimax is a taildragger aircraft and this problem has been happening for the past 6 months. Like all idiots ( Auto electrician / motor mechanic background) I immediately went to look for the most unlikely reasons and pulled my manifolds off , Carby apart, changed the plugs and it still happened. I call myself an idiot because the engine has just been totally pulled down and rebuilt after 150 hrs. All I needed to do was the normal ispection and re-tighten the manifolds after running for 10 hours.

The problem I think I have found is that when the engine stops, the pressure from the pneumatic fuel pump allows some fuel to sit on the rear plug and when you try to re-start, that plug fouls up. If I hand prop the engine I dont get enough sprk to get it running. Removing the plugs, blowing with compressed air and re-fitting the plugs gets it going every time, although at first very rich, like the choke is on. It takes some 20 secs to start to idle normally.

The other thing I have found is that the Plug connectors are NKG resistor type right angles. In conjunction wit the resistor Plugs NKG BPR-8ES may provide too much resistance for the coil to overcome on start cranking.

Hope this may be helpful for you and others

Waz